There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
The Birmingham Males

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

The condition of the Birmingham Males at this stage is astounding. Still a formidable force and holding on to their territory, the younger-looking male is looking the best he has ever been.

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like Potato's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Wont be many 11 year old lions that look as good as nhenha?
3 users Like Hairy tummy's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(10-30-2021, 09:51 PM)Potato Wrote: The condition of the Birmingham Males at this stage is astounding. Still a formidable force and holding on to their territory, the younger-looking male is looking the best he has ever been.

Seeing Londolozi speak positively about the Bboys after two years of almost nothing but doubts is a little unnerving. Even worse than if Potato praised their achievements lol
5 users Like Slayerd's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(10-30-2021, 10:50 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Wont be many 11 year old lions that look as good as nhenha?
Cus most males at this point are fully nomadic which resaults in losing condition. If a male has females to regularly provide, he can look like he is in top condition at that age. Also I believe he isn't older than 10 and half by now.

(10-30-2021, 11:26 PM)Slayerd Wrote: Seeing Londolozi speak positively about the Bboys after two years of almost nothing but doubts is a little unnerving
Actually looking at that case back Londolozi was very much correct saying that the reign of Birminghams is closing to an end and they are about to be pushed by some younger males which not long after started to materialize in Avocas pushing south. All this hate they got on this forum from BBoys fanboys there was unfair.

(10-30-2021, 11:26 PM)Slayerd Wrote: Even worse than if Potato praised their achievements
I have never said Birminghams were unsuccesfull coalition, but of course for a fanboys everythink must have been either totally white or totally black. In eyes of such since I said Avocas proved to be much more dominant with equal numbers lead to me being qualify as "BBoys hater"
and I can not say anythink possitive about them. Such fanatism thinking doesn't make sense.
3 users Like Potato's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Im aware of why hes looking good, was more a question of, be interested in knowing which other lions are looking that good at his age
2 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

11 is a good odd age for a lion. If they are living a healthy life, they would still be in a good shape. But if life is rough they can detoriate rapidly. They cant handle anymore what they could at 5. 
Think about 50 to 60s in human age. 
Though Londolozi is right that they are nearing their end. At that age the chance that a new coalition pops up that is stronger than you is higher than that its weaker and once driven into nomadhood its typically over quick. The chance that they will be gone in a few year is higher than being alive. 

They are alive, still being fed and occasionally get to mate or currently having cubs. That's enough to be successful in my book. 
Animals don't care about scores and being the best.

( This post was last modified: 10-31-2021, 01:32 AM by Slayerd )

(10-31-2021, 12:17 AM)Potato Wrote:
(10-30-2021, 10:50 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Wont be many 11 year old lions that look as good as nhenha?
Cus most males at this point are fully nomadic which resaults in losing condition. If a male has females to regularly provide, he can look like he is in top condition at that age. Also I believe he isn't older than 10 and half by now.

(10-30-2021, 11:26 PM)Slayerd Wrote: Seeing Londolozi speak positively about the Bboys after two years of almost nothing but doubts is a little unnerving
Actually looking at that case back Londolozi was very much correct saying that the reign of Birminghams is closing to an end and they are about to be pushed by some younger males which not long after started to materialize in Avocas pushing south. All this hate they got on this forum from BBoys fanboys there was unfair.

(10-30-2021, 11:26 PM)Slayerd Wrote: Even worse than if Potato praised their achievements
I have never said Birminghams were unsuccesfull coalition, but of course for a fanboys everythink must have been either totally white or totally black. In eyes of such since I said Avocas proved to be much more dominant with equal numbers lead to me being qualify as "BBoys hater"
and I can not say anythink possitive about them. Such fanatism thinking doesn't make sense.
LOL it was a joke because of how much you've been arguing with others over the Bboys recently but you've been very wrong on multiple occasions on how you view it all. I've been seeing you on this forum for two years now and you haven't been exactly fair to the Bboys on multiple occasions. 

Saying Londozi was correct after two years of them saying the Bboys end was near is actually funny. Two years is a long time for a male lion. No Bboy fanboys hated on them. They just kept being proven wrong over and over again. And have written only reports of their downfall and barely write anything else. Off course you'd say that though because you don't acknowledge anything the Bboys do to protect their territory.
5 users Like Slayerd's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

To be fair. The only reason they are around is because the Avocas didn't press on the attack during Nhenas health scare.
We could just as easily be talking in past tense about them now.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-31-2021, 02:10 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: To be fair. The only reason they are around is because the Avocas didn't press on the attack during Nhenas health scare.

In the past year or so, Nhenha and Tinyo are still dominant despite being pressured from all sides.. They defended their territory first from the south from 4 young Nwaswitshaka, from the west from Othawa male, which they killed, from 2 nomadic coalitions, Styx/Nk and PC boys which they chased numerous times, and from the N. Avocas, yes they forfeit portion of territory to them, but at this age, they have no need for such a large territory, as they cant sustain it. 

I mean if any duo would do this, especially at 10 yrs of age, people would be estatic about it, but few people here are saying that 2 Bboys are weak, which is hilarious and disrespect towards Nhenha and Tinyo. 

Give them credit they deserve..
8 users Like Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I am not saying they are weak. Just that if the Avocas or Nwaswitshakas had used their opportunities better they could have won.

Keep in mind that for quite a while one of them was very ill.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(10-31-2021, 05:23 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-31-2021, 02:10 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: To be fair. The only reason they are around is because the Avocas didn't press on the attack during Nhenas health scare.

In the past year or so, Nhenha and Tinyo are still dominant despite being pressured from all sides.. They defended their territory first from the south from 4 young Nwaswitshaka, from the west from Othawa male, which they killed, from 2 nomadic coalitions, Styx/Nk and PC boys which they chased numerous times, and from the N. Avocas, yes they forfeit portion of territory to them, but at this age, they have no need for such a large territory, as they cant sustain it. 

I mean if any duo would do this, especially at 10 yrs of age, people would be estatic about it, but few people here are saying that 2 Bboys are weak, which is hilarious and disrespect towards Nhenha and Tinyo. 

As far I remember. The two Gowrie/Birmingham males also chased to both Kruger males.
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(10-30-2021, 09:51 PM)Potato Wrote: The condition of the Birmingham Males at this stage is astounding. Still a formidable force and holding on to their territory, the younger-looking male is looking the best he has ever been.

Nhenha. Still looking in amazing condition. He's a true beast of a male lion. For his age, he's looking better than ever has been looking
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

Tinyo of the Birmingham males in Ngala Private Game Reserve in 2012
Photo by: Terry Allen

9 users Like Timbavati's post

( This post was last modified: 10-31-2021, 08:42 AM by Slayerd )

(10-31-2021, 05:50 AM)Timbavati Wrote:
(10-31-2021, 05:23 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

As far I remember. The two Gowrie/Birmingham males also chased to both Kruger males.
Yes them as well and there was 3 other young nomadic males in their territory last year and one was said to have been mualed by the Bboys according to Mala Mala and the other 2 missing
2 users Like Slayerd's post

(10-31-2021, 05:45 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: I am not saying they are weak. Just that if the Avocas or Nwaswitshakas had used their opportunities better they could have won.

Keep in mind that for quite a while one of them was very ill.

That could be said for most coalitions. Nhenha and Tinyo have pushed back many occasions which Potato doesn't accept and thinks they're only recon missions. The main reason the Avocas and othawa pushed further and tested the Bboys unlike the Nwaswithshaka who have a clear fear of the Bboys after they chased them or the two Kruger Male who in 2020 were actually pushing into Bboys territory is the Infertile lioness, she basically lured the Othawa male in no matter how many times the Bboys sent him running and she lured the Avocas deeper. The reason of the Avocas push this year was because of Tinyo's weakness and illness. Thats why the Bboys lost land. Nhenha couldn't cover the entire territory by himself but he did a damn good job trying. He sent the Nwalungu and PC males running by himself. Nhenha also did it last year chasing both Avocas by himself in northern Londolozi and he kept the Nwaswithshaka from pushing further north when he returned to patrol Sabi Sabi. I'm not sure people actually remember that, it was the same time he chased the PC Males and their sisters. I spoke to a ranger to ask how far Nhenha and the Nwaswithshaka were from each other and he said his presence pushed them further south. I don't think people realize how difficult it is for the Bboys to hold central Sabi Sands. It's probably the most dangerous territory to rule in the reserve for older lions because you're completely surrounded. The Souther Matimbas lost it very quickly after running from the Bboys to the Matshipiri. Western Sabi Sands that the Mapogos, Majingilane and the Southern Matimbas held at the end of their reigns was far easier to hold.
7 users Like Slayerd's post