There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-17-2021, 01:24 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Its either Scar or Limper. It could have been an outsider, but it would be hard, not to mention suicidal for a outsider lion to approach a pride like that.

Yea, and Skorro Jr was very relaxed at the beginning of the video, definitely wouldn't be the case if intruding male was lying 10 m away from him..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

I do not think it was Scar who got beaten up by Tumbelas. It doesn't make much sense. I believe it must have been new male who got beaten up. I am awiting further updates on that matter. 
The scars on the neck and face of Tsalala females looks old, it doesn't need to be caused by potential fight with Othawa female.

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-16-2021, 09:04 PM)Tonpa Wrote: I just hope Limper can start putting on size and mane growth, I don't see them lasting long with only one healthy male

They're thriving quite well so far. Of course, only 1 Tumbela male is in good condition, And he'll the first in start an territorial patrol to cover the boundaries with other lions. Although, with the Styx young male already deceased, I think that the Tumbela coalition will had calm times ahead until new males will decided push into Western parts of the Reserve. Otherwise, it's unlikely they'll overthrown.
1 user Likes T I N O's post

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-17-2021, 03:53 PM by lionuk )

The Tumbelas need to be around long enough for their offspring to reach independence. 
About Mhangeni Pride, it seems that the females there are adverse to new males coming to their pride after OM. Is it because of the 2 cubs or they are just happy to be just the girls?
Is Tsalala female in heat or it's just her way of distracting Skorro jr to protect her daughter?

Lots of matings going on around at the moment lol Ross male today, Mbiri males, Skorro jr, Mohawk Avoca with Kambula lioness, etc

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-17-2021, 02:46 AM)lionuk Wrote: The Tumbelas need to be around long enough for their offspring to reach independence. 
About Mhangeni Pride, it seems that the females there are adverse to new males coming to their pride after OM. Is it because of the 2 cubs or they are just happy to be just the girls?
Is Tsalala female in heat or it's just her way of distracting Skorro jr to protect her daughter?

Lots of mating going on around at the moment lol Ross male today, Mbiri males, Skorro jr, Mohawk Avoca with Kambula lioness, etc

1. To be fair, the Mangheni females didn't had much luck with their offspring.  Even the Birmingham males offspring didn't thrive. Only 1 lioness survived. The same with the Othawa male offspring. He has sired quite cubs and just a few are alive. I guess, it happened because the weird establish of the Othawa male. He was pushing into Londolozi a lot and the females could have been following him instead of stick in a small area with lack of lion activity and raised their cubs. 
  • The Tsalala daughter will turn 2 early next year as far I know. Therefore, she could be in heat or trying to distracting to the Tumbela male and keep him away from her daughter

1 user Likes T I N O's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(08-17-2021, 02:59 AM)Timbavati Wrote: The Tsalala daughter will turn 2 early next year as far I know
isn't she already over 2?
3 users Like sik94's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-17-2021, 03:06 AM)sik94 Wrote:
(08-17-2021, 02:59 AM)Timbavati Wrote: The Tsalala daughter will turn 2 early next year as far I know

Really? I thought she wasn't 2 yet.
2 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

My bad. She was born in March 2019

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(08-17-2021, 03:25 AM)Timbavati Wrote:

Really? I thought she wasn't 2 yet.

I'm pretty sure she is.
4 users Like sik94's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

She's about 2 and a half. She will turn 3 early next year and I hope she helps her mother rebuild the Tsalala pride
4 users Like Mdz123's post

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor

Skorro jr mating with the Tsalala female 

8 users Like lionuk's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-17-2021, 03:51 PM)lionuk Wrote: Skorro jr mating with the Tsalala female 

A true beast of male lion.

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

How is her daughter doing? Haven't seen pictures of her in a while
2 users Like Mdz123's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Lions
  • The Styx and Nkuhuma males have been given the name Nwalungu, meaning north/northern as they both originally come from the northern parts of the Sabi Sand reserve. This coalition have been heard a lot this month, vocalising throughout the property. 
  • Tracks for the Mhangeni pride weave around our southern grasslands. The pride composition has been sighted as: two younger cubs, one sub-adult female and six older lionesses, however with the impressive roars of the Nwalungu males, it’s no surprise that viewings of this pride have been few and far between. Keeping their cubs safe from the threat of a new ‘pride take-over’, we’ve tracked their movements stretching from the far east to the far western areas. Interesting times lie ahead, with the new coalition starting to establish themselves and the prospect of them joining up with the Mhangeni pride…
  • The two Plains Camp males have been seen in the north this month, however not as frequently as last month. 

https://singita.com/2021/07/singita-sabi-sand-july-2021

Not much in this report, and we already know what's coming for the August report, hopefully it has some details not revealed
7 users Like Tonpa's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(08-17-2021, 06:39 PM)Mdz123 Wrote: How is her daughter doing? Haven't seen pictures of her in a while

I asked Nic if he saw her daughter around and he said he hadn't. I hope it wasn't her that came off more injured in the fight with Auntie
5 users Like Tonpa's post