There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-07-2021, 03:45 PM)Psyckoo Wrote: The Monwana
males 
*This image is copyright of its original author

Credit Ziggi Hugo

3 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-07-2021, 04:06 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(03-07-2021, 04:05 PM)Potato Wrote: Also 6 Black Dam males are probably close by

They are a bit older if im not mistaken, they are 3 yrs old already, no?

They are 3 and half. In a year or so they might make a mess in a region.
2 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-07-2021, 04:46 PM by Potato )

Nharhu males with River pride on the beggining and in the middle of the video. Pride is doing well having new aditions to the pride and potentially few more on the way. 2 of the Nharhu males (limping male and one of the healty males) do not look in best condition, but hopefully they just need a meal and will be fine.

RookiePundit Offline

(03-07-2021, 03:47 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Info about Mayambula pride by Mayambula/Vlak pride of lions Facebook page:

Density and numbers of lions, and especially subadult lions around Ngala/Orpens area is insanely high atm, which might result in future conflict and loss of some subadult lions there..

Also number of young subadult males there is insane, 7 males in Mayambula pride, 6 (+1 older) in Birmingham breakeaway and 3 (+1 older) in Birmingham who are all around the same age of 2-2.5.

So the Birmingham sub-adults (the white breakayway group, most of them if not all are in that group, simply including the possibly lstill ost sub-adult female) consist of 3 males and 5 females, white lions included + BYM upon that? I haven't see actual ration being posted just total numbers, definitely there was 3 of each in the sightings but I couldn't manage to to proper headcount + sexes so far, they tended to be flopped down in tall grasses when actually within one shot :)
1 user Likes RookiePundit's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

do subs form the breakaway and the birmingham pride subs come into contact they were father by different males right ?or they have any interaction with each other meaning do they know each other or they are enemies ?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-08-2021, 12:35 AM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: do subs form the breakaway and the birmingham pride subs come into contact they were father by different males right ?or they have any interaction with each other meaning do they know each other or they are enemies ?

Ross males sired majority of breakeaway's but they are in no contact with Birmingham's..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-07-2021, 08:52 PM)RookiePundit Wrote: So the Birmingham sub-adults (the white breakayway group, most of them if not all are in that group, simply including the possibly lstill ost sub-adult female) consist of 3 males and 5 females, white lions included + BYM upon that? I haven't see actual ration being posted just total numbers, definitely there was 3 of each in the sightings but I couldn't manage to to proper headcount + sexes so far, they tended to be flopped down in tall grasses when actually within one shot :)

Yes, 3 males, 5 females and BYM.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

RookiePundit Offline

(03-08-2021, 12:35 AM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: do subs form the breakaway and the birmingham pride subs come into contact they were father by different males right ?or they have any interaction with each other meaning do they know each other or they are enemies ?

Who knows? Animals don't act like they are rules and we get odd behaviour from time to time. It would be important in what compositions and numbers the two groups would meet, but I don't expect it being cordial. If one individual get lost and tries to joind the other group they might eventually succeed but them being related would not be much of a factor in most cases, i.e. unrelated individual can possibly manage to do that by being persistent at the right time. However I don't think they feel much of a need to join forces and form even bigger coalition or something like that. I would not expect some kind of merge, lone individuals might get adopted into another group at their own risk. They probably won't tolerate each other at carcasses even. We can never say something can never happen, but there are behavioural responses that are reasonable to expect. As for relation, those animals would likely meet outside of pride controlled by Ross Males and without their presence, so I don't think it would matter. Whether they can get the idea they are related from scent or something I have no idea, at one side Tsalala lioness was killed by her Mhangeni granddaughters which she actually brought up before on the other one female sub-adult of the 10 Mhangeni sub-adults who perished, managed to joined Ximhungwe pride (Mhangeni is Tsalala breakway pride, Tsalala is Ximhungwe breakaway pride), so who knows what they can recognize and hw much they act upon it.
1 user Likes RookiePundit's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(03-08-2021, 12:54 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Ross males sired majority of breakeaway's but they are in no contact with Birmingham's..

i read some where form facebook that some of breakeways sub were father by the Avoca/Giraffes males?also do you how many subs males are in the breakeways ?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-08-2021, 09:03 AM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: i read some where form facebook that some of breakeways sub were father by the Avoca/Giraffes males?also do you how many subs males are in the breakeways ?

7..1 oldest is definitely sired by Avoca/Giraffes, just like BYM, but he might already left the pride.. The 3 middle ones are on unknown, either AG or Ross males, and 3 youngest are Ross males.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Yet on the Monwana males from Ziggi's Hugo comment section:

"Awesome sightings Ziggi. How is doing the injured Monwana male?"
"He still looks alright. Not injured but sick"

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

They say - “ Don’t look back”, but sometimes it’s important to see how far you have come.
#lions is showing signs of having cubs at the moment here at @royalmalewane in South Africa.
It is unfortunate though that they were not sired by the Mapoza or Xikukutsu male lions, as they have started spending more and more time in the southern parts of the reserve over the past two weeks, and will almost certainly kill the youngsters if and when they find them, forcing the female back into oestrous to ensure they get to mate and pass on their own genes.

3 users Like Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-10-2021, 01:27 PM by Tonpa )

Ross Male 
by Owel Dell

4 users Like Tonpa's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(03-10-2021, 01:26 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Ross Male 
by Owel Dell

If eyes could kill!
2 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

One of the Xikukutsu male #lions seen recently on a #wildlife photographic#safari at @royalmalewane in South Africa.
This #lion and his brother have been spending a lot of time around the lodge trailing a female from the @blackdampride who we believe has cubs stashed away in a riverbed a few hundred yards from the lodge.
We do not know if they are the fathers, or simply want to find the cubs to kill them so as to force the female back into her cycle so they can sire a new litter of cubs with their own genes, eliminating the predecessors bloodline.