There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Wonder what happened to the other Othawa subs, seems they havent been sighted since they left the pride?

Australia 1999gc8 Offline

(01-18-2021, 12:02 AM)Potato Wrote: There's more to this photograph of the sub-adult Othawa male than what first meets the eye!

In the recent weeks we have been captivated by the everchanging dynamics of the Othawa pride as the Tumbela males continue to cement their relationship with the Othawa females.
The new romance has forced the three young Othawa sub adult males to split from their pride. Initially the trio stayed together, however, the newly formed coalition did not last long and the trio have seemed to split again leaving the older sub adult male to fend alone. Currently, he is enjoying his bachelorhood traversing the banks of the Sand River downstream from the Dulini River Lodge where this photograph was taken, shortly after having a run-in with the Shangwa male leopard. Fortunately Shangwa lives to see another day, having leapt to refuge in the branches of a nearby Marula tree.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Hi Potato,

I cant see the photo. Is there setting I need to change or is there a problem with a link to the photo?

Thanks.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(01-18-2021, 02:25 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Wonder what happened to the other Othawa subs, seems they havent been sighted since they left the pride?

There are regular updates on them. There is newest update on previous page of this topic.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(01-18-2021, 03:00 AM)1999gc8 Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 12:02 AM)Potato Wrote: There's more to this photograph of the sub-adult Othawa male than what first meets the eye!

In the recent weeks we have been captivated by the everchanging dynamics of the Othawa pride as the Tumbela males continue to cement their relationship with the Othawa females.
The new romance has forced the three young Othawa sub adult males to split from their pride. Initially the trio stayed together, however, the newly formed coalition did not last long and the trio have seemed to split again leaving the older sub adult male to fend alone. Currently, he is enjoying his bachelorhood traversing the banks of the Sand River downstream from the Dulini River Lodge where this photograph was taken, shortly after having a run-in with the Shangwa male leopard. Fortunately Shangwa lives to see another day, having leapt to refuge in the branches of a nearby Marula tree.

Hi Potato,

I cant see the photo. Is there setting I need to change or is there a problem with a link to the photo?

Thanks.

I have no idea. Perhaps you did not wait on the page enought for a picture to load up. Try to refreash the page, wait and see if a photo does appear.

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-18-2021, 03:46 PM by Tonpa )

Southern Pride Lioness and her two cubs

"The Southern Pride lioness managed to secure herself a young buffalo for a meal. After feasting for a bit, she left the area, only to bring back her two cubs who had a meal on arrival."

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like Tonpa's post

Bangladesh sundarbans Offline

I find it quite strange that the Mhangeni pride has 5 adult females yet only 2 have given birth yet and the litters themselves were of only two cubs each. Are the younger females not sexually mature yet or are the older females unable to breed anymore?
2 users Like sundarbans's post

Contributor

Watching the wildearth stream, it wasnt recorded but the guides were saying that earlier on today the Talamatis bumped into the Torchwood pride, and the torchwoods gave some of the young talamatis a beating.
3 users Like Tonpa's post

United Kingdom Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-18-2021, 10:04 PM by Cath2020 )

(01-18-2021, 06:38 PM)sundarbans Wrote: I find it quite strange that the Mhangeni pride has 5 adult females yet only 2 have given birth yet and the litters themselves were of only two cubs each. Are the younger females not sexually mature yet or are the older females unable to breed anymore?

Yep. These 5 females are well within reproductive age, yet only 2 or 3 have given birth.  There were 6 cubs initially, but only 3 were seen in the most recently footage.  I think 3 lionesses have given birth out of the 5 so far.  I haven't heard the other 2 denning yet.  It is certain that Pretty Girl (Big Boy's littermate and "twin" in terms of looks) has not given birth at all, however she already turned 5 last month.  I believe the other Manjing. daughter has given birth to 2, but lost both of them.  

We don't know if Pretty Girl is infertile until she starts mating with other males and doesn't conceive with them as well.  It could be that she's not responsive to the Othawa Male specifically.  Only time will tell.  After all, he is more related to the 2 Majing. lionesses than to the older ones, but he's also related to them as well.  

In addition, the OM came to the Pride as a 3 year old, so some of the lionesses might see him as more of an older brother/protector than as a hot father figure.....He never really had a long nomadic life, or has been tested much.  Could be a combination of factors. 

The OM has been with these lionesses over 2 years now, and if he waits until these 3 or 4 cubs reach 2 years old, he'll have been with them over 4!  That's a long time to be with the same pride of related females.
3 users Like Cath2020's post

Gijima Offline

(01-18-2021, 09:15 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Watching the wildearth stream, it wasnt recorded but the guides were saying that earlier on today the Talamatis bumped into the Torchwood pride, and the torchwoods gave some of the young talamatis a beating.

I think I saw a video of this. Nothing really happened... no physical confrontation. Blondie Talamati walks up to Torchwood lioness, they growl at each other and he walks away. I honestly think she might have been in bigger danger... the whole Talamati pride was only a few meters away.
3 users Like Gijima's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-19-2021, 04:32 PM by Tonpa )

Pregnant female from Torchwood pride (6 minutes 29 seconds)
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

14 members of Kambula pride, mostly subadults, with Nhenha, in Sabi Sabi :

7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor

I read some time ago that this pride was in the process of splitting into two, has it happened?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-19-2021, 07:17 PM)Tonpa Wrote: I read some time ago that this pride was in the process of splitting into two, has it happened?

In process yes,but they still hang out with each others occasionaly, splits dont happen over night.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-19-2021, 10:29 PM by Tonpa )

A Torchwood lioness was seen mating with Mohawk Avoca on WildEarth Stream today.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SlipperyPolishedLettuceWoofer

Identified by Michael fleetwood
https://twitter.com/MichaeFleetwood/stat...3464186885
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

(01-19-2021, 10:28 PM)Tonpa Wrote: A Torchwood lioness was seen mating with Mohawk Avoca on WildEarth Stream today.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SlipperyPolishedLettuceWoofer

Identified by Michael fleetwood
https://twitter.com/MichaeFleetwood/stat...3464186885

Mohawk is turning into a beautiful male. Already he's on his prime. BTW, I didn't know that WildEarth was on Twitch
1 user Likes T I N O's post