There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-30-2020, 04:59 AM by T I N O )

Nkuhumas managed to find a dead Hippo!
Images by: Nigel Ridge

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-30-2020, 05:29 AM by Potato )

"Why didn't they immediately just go west? Because it makes no sense, Lions don't just go for any territory they want, their territories need to join up."

Lions territoryis not so not much about land itself, but about prides to control.  It makes perfect sense for just about any coalition to takeover new pride if possible. 
3 users Like Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The lead Talamati lioness
Image by: Andrew Khosa

T I N O Offline
Moderators

A Torchwood lioness reluctantly wakes up before setting out on the evening hunt.
Image by:M Rammal

United States Cath2020 Offline

(10-30-2020, 04:55 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Two of the Mhangeni lionesses recline on a beach in the Sand River. With the Othawa male - the resident pride male of the Mhangeni pride - having been seen way out of his normal territory recently mating with one of the Ntsevu lionesses, the lion dynamics on Londolozi are heating up.⁠
Image by: Londolozi

Bad move by the OM I think, especially considering he has young cubs and more on the way....He's also got no coalition partner.    Time will tell if this will have dire consequences...  Let's see if this lioness brings about the unexpected downfall of prides and coalitions....or changes the dynamics of SS in a big way.
4 users Like Cath2020's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(10-30-2020, 05:28 AM)Potato Wrote: "Why didn't they immediately just go west? Because it makes no sense, Lions don't just go for any territory they want, their territories need to join up."

Lions territoryis not so not much about land itself, but about prides to control.  It makes perfect sense for just about any coalition to takeover new pride if possible. 

Lions territories encompasses prides but prides are not their borders. Lions create stable borders to patrol. And what I said is proven. Like I said, the N'waswitshaka are pushing east, not north.
1 user Likes Slayerd's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(10-30-2020, 02:41 PM)Slayerd Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 05:28 AM)Potato Wrote: "Why didn't they immediately just go west? Because it makes no sense, Lions don't just go for any territory they want, their territories need to join up."

Lions territories encompasses prides but prides are not their borders. Lions create stable borders to patrol. And what I said is proven. Like I said, the N'waswitshaka are pushing east, not north.

It is very common for a coalitions of male lions to shift their territorys in order to cover under their terrytorial range more prides. N'was with their cumbers and age very well can do the same. Birminghams are not too far from N'was at all. If N'was will decide push north, Birminghams will have trouble.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

2 new cubs in Mhangeni pride:

Photo Credits : Singita

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-30-2020, 05:00 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: 2 new cubs in Mhangeni pride:

Great photos.

I really glad that the old lionesses of the Mangheni pride finally are mothers once again.
5 users Like T I N O's post

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

Sired by Nguvu, right?
1 user Likes Cunaguaro's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-30-2020, 07:09 PM)Cunaguaro Wrote:

Sired by Nguvu, right?
Correct. Those cubs were sired by the Othawa male
4 users Like T I N O's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-30-2020, 10:09 PM by Slayerd )

Hey guys I had a great conversation with Legend Safaris. They recently were at Mala Mala Game Reserve for 9 days and saw amazing sightings. They also specifically had amazing lion sightings. Seeing 6 coalitions, 5 prides and 1 nomadic male. Unsure of which prides they saw but they saw the Birmingham/Gowrie, Northern Avocas, Southern Avocas, Fourways Pride/Kruger Males, N'waswitshaka, Othawa Male and Torchwood Young Male. The admin of their account seemed very well informed and even knew Nhenha and Tinyo by their names, spelling Nhenha as "Nehna". According to them, Nhenha is a massive lion and the largest lion on the reserve. Making Nhenha the largest out of 13 pride males seen on the reserve. He also mentioned the Southern Avocas were massive and very impressive male lions. They also spoke about the Torchwood Young Male who also impressed them, stating " he looks like he'll be big, very impressive."
5 users Like Slayerd's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-30-2020, 10:38 PM by T I N O )

(10-30-2020, 10:02 PM)Slayerd Wrote: Hey guys I had a great conversation with Legend Safaris. They recently were at Mala Mala Game Reserve for 9 days and saw amazing sightings. They also specifically had amazing lion sightings. Seeing 6 coalitions, 5 prides and 1 nomadic male. Unsure of which prides they saw but they saw the Birmingham/Gowrie, Northern Avocas, Southern Avocas, Fourways Pride/Kruger Males, N'waswitshaka, Othawa Male and Torchwood Young Male. The admin of their account seemed very well informed and even knew Nhenha and Tinyo by their names, spelling Nhenha as "Nehna". According to them, Nhenha is a massive lion and the largest lion on the reserve. Making Nhenha the largest out of 13 pride males seen on the reserve. He also mentioned the Southern Avocas were massive and very impressive male lions. They also spoke about the Torchwood Young Male who also impressed them, stating " he looks like he'll be big, very impressive."

Thanks for the information.

I would like think that the Othawa male still can grown even more than his current size as he is just 5 years now. Not even close of their prime yet that starts at the age of 8... Definitely I had the sense about the size of the Torchwood male. He is a bulky young male and impressive at a very young age... Nhenha obviously was confirmed to be the biggest male by Singita rangers. So nothing to argue against them... If the admin of Legend_Safaris has saw to the Southern Avoca males  big and impressive, this means that they are much big  than the Northern brothers (?). going through the words of such a reliable source as them. Those words make to the Birmingham males as the presently the largest lions in Sabi Sands.
2 users Like T I N O's post

Gijima Offline

Possibly the Sand River pride with oldest, “missing” cub?
Tengile River Lodge
10/25/20
kirstensk_31

2 users Like Gijima's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-30-2020, 10:25 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Thanks for the information.

I would like think that the Othawa male still can grown even more than his current size as he is just 5 years now. Not even close of their prime yet that starts at the age of 8... Definitely I had the sense about the size of the Torchwood male. He is a bulky young male and impressive at a very young age... Nhenha obviously was confirmed to be the biggest male by Singita rangers. So nothing to argue against them... If the admin of Legend_Safaris has saw to the Southern Avoca males  big and impressive, this means that they are much big  than the Northern brothers (?). going through the words of such a reliable source as them. Those words make to the Birmingham males as the presently the largest lions in Sabi Sands.

He said about S. Avocas "massive and impressive" ..S. Avocas, especially Biggermaned male is very bulky and muscular lion, i think he meant in that sense, S. Avocas are not tall as Nhenha or DM Avoca.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post