There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The Ximhungwe lioness and his cub at Northern Sabi Sands
Image by: Wildearth

*This image is copyright of its original author

4 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the two Kruger males (dominant over the Torchwood pride and the 4ways pride) 
Image by:  Anja Immelman

5 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Sabi Sands Update - Mangheni pride and Othawa male - Singita
The Mhangene Pride lion cubs continue to provide endless hours of entertainment and wonderful photographic opportunities for our team at Singita Sabi Sand.⁠
⁠•⁠
Our field guides suspect that there may have been a few more additions to the pride, although more cubs are yet to be seen, judging by the appearance of visual suckle marks on a few other females.⁠
⁠•⁠
Watch this space in the next few weeks to see if they are right!⁠
⁠•⁠
⁠Photos: Benjamin Ackerman⁠

9 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-21-2020, 12:24 AM by T I N O )

One of the two big male lions who spending more and more time in the northern parts of Sabi Sands.
How will the N Avoca males react?
These two specimen are being seeing around Nkorho Bush Lodge area with the Torchwood pride
Let's see what will happens in a near future! 
Lion dynamics are heading hot in Sabi Sands
Image by:  Anja Immelman

5 users Like T I N O's post

Hairy tummy Offline

How far apart are they? 
Will they be hearing each others roars?
1 user Likes Hairy tummy's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-20-2020, 11:43 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: How far apart are they? 

Avocas and Nkuhumas where recently seen in northern Londolozi, but they prob can hear each others as lions roars can be heard to 8km..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Another beautiful photo of the newcomer into Northern parts of Sabi Sands!
One of the Kruger males accompanied with the Torchwood pride that was feeding of a Giraffe carcass nearby of him

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-20-2020, 11:45 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 11:30 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: One of the two big male lions who spending more and more time in the northern parts of Sabi Sands.
How will the N Avoca males react?
These two specimen are being seeing around Nkorho Bush Lodge area with the Torchwood pride (in the heart of Avoca territory). Let's see what will happens in a near future! 
Lion dynamics are heading hot in Sabi Sands

Idk who write this, but Nkorho is far from "Heart" of Avocas territory, more like border, but as recently they moved further southwest, they are very rarely seen there and thats prob the reason why this 2 males are seen further west.. . Nkorho was always Torchwoods territory..

We might soon have a little stand off between this 2 coalitions, not for takeovers or anything, just for establishing boundaries..

Well. Perhaps I mixed up the territories but as far I remember when the Northern Avoca males arrived in the northern Sabi Sands. they used to be seen a lot of time in Nkorho Bush Lodge area. (That's I've say that was the heart of Avoca territory).

This year was when they starting to moving towards Londolozi.
1 user Likes T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-21-2020, 12:21 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Well. Perhaps I mixed up the territories but as far I remember when the Northern Avoca males arrived in the northern Sabi Sands. they used to be seen a lot of time in Nkorho Bush Lodge area. (That's I've say that was the heart of Avoca territory).

Well before yes, but now Nkorho definitely is not their core territory..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

A recent sighting of the Smudge-nosed Torchwood lioness feeding of a Giraffe carcass  at Nkorho Bush Lodge.
dt. 20.10.2020.

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-21-2020, 12:23 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 12:21 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Well. Perhaps I mixed up the territories but as far I remember when the Northern Avoca males arrived in the northern Sabi Sands. they used to be seen a lot of time in Nkorho Bush Lodge area. (That's I've say that was the heart of Avoca territory).

Well before yes, but now Nkorho definitely is not their core territory..

Okay. I'll edit it now

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Monochrome of one of the two shy dominant males of the Fourways and Torchwood lion prides.
Image by:Anja Immelman

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the Torchwood lionesses (Smudge-nosed female) daughter of the Matimba male. Hairy belly!
Image by:Anja Immelman
Sabi Sands (Nkorho Bush Lodge)
dt. 20.10.2020.

2 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-20-2020, 11:43 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: How far apart are they? 

I believe that they can heard the roars of those 2 males.

I don't know how many kilometers is of difference between Nkorho  area to northern Londolozi. But the lion roar can be heard till 8 kilometers away. they also can known how many males are roaring etc. and If I remember. They can known if are dominant males or nomadic males (as per a documentary that I've seen)

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The three Torchwood cubs at Nkorho Bush Lodge 
I hope that these cubs will make it!
Image by: Anja Immelman

3 users Like T I N O's post