There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-13-2020, 08:31 PM by Tr1x24 )

Great video of Kambula pride dynamics:

3 new cubs are first introduced to the rest of a pride on a kill, mother and 2 other adult females where present. When the subadults came, 3 adults showed no agression towards the young females, but when the young males came thats a different story, they immidiately started attacking 5 young males.. 

As we speculated before, their days with the pride will be over soon, its yet to be seen if only they will be chased away or will the younger females also split and form a breakeaway..

It seems that there are 12 lions of those previous litter, 2 are missing, 1 younger cub of 2019 litter and one subadult male it seems.. 

So there are 5 subadult males, 5 subadult females and 2 younger cubs from 2019 atm in the pride. 

Lion dynamics is rly interesting right now in Sabi Sands, uncertain situation in Western sector with Othawas/HB and Tumbelas, Mhangenis have new cubs and more on the way, Kambulas with new cubs and situation with subadults. Also Torchwoods and Sand River prides have new cubs, Southern Pride female also.. 

Real baby boom in Sabi Sands..
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

https://wildadventuresblog.com/2020/10/12/tumbela-lions-find-a-hippo/?fbclid=IwAR0mpFzesaTargGVFtv75kzIZ_qWWZBDqLzGD6XIV9rkcHsxF0raDTdyWuA

TUMBELA LIONS FIND A HIPPO

*This image is copyright of its original author

Recent reports were given that three young male lions had entered the section north of the Sand River. At first not much information was provided as to whom this new coalition may be, leading to a fair amount of confusion. After a bit of investigation it seems the consensus is that these three young male lions hail as the Tumbela male lions from the Nharu pride in the Manyelethi.

It was really exciting to watch these new male lions slowly push closer and closer towards the river. Would they eventually cross the river? What would happen if they met with the resident Othawa Pride or the Matimba male? These were questions that were asked on a daily basis.
One morning a dead hippo was found stranded along the edge of one of the large dams. It may have lost a territorial battle with the dominant male hippo of that dam.

With such a large carcass lying around in the sun, it is bound to attract some predators. Sure enough, the Tumbela males followed the scent of a fresh carcass in the air and discovered this bush banquet.

In the process, one of the Othawa lionesses made her way to the carcass too. During the feast she was seen mating with at least two of the brothers.

The arrival of these three brothers has caused a divide in the Othawa pride. There was a brief altercation between the Matimba male lion and the new male lions. It is unclear whether there was simply vocalizing and intimidation between the various males or whether a fight took place. The Othawa mother with the sub adult lions moved in a different direction, keeping the youngsters out of harm’s way. The two groups of lions have been circling each other ever since.

The Tumbela brothers have been roaring and advertising their presence almost daily. They have already explored a fair portion of the western section and show no signs of slowing down.
4 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Plains Camp males

5 users Like Potato's post

United States felinefan Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-14-2020, 11:36 PM by sanjay Edit Reason: corrected the format )

(10-13-2020, 07:32 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Great video of Kambula pride dynamics:

3 new cubs are first introduced to the rest of a pride on a kill, mother and 2 other adult females where present. When the subadults came, 3 adults showed no agression towards the young females, but when the young males came thats a different story, they immidiately started attacking 5 young males.. 

As we speculated before, their days with the pride will be over soon, its yet to be seen if only they will be chased away or will the younger females also split and form a breakeaway..

It seems that there are 12 lions of those previous litter, 2 are missing, 1 younger cub of 2019 litter and one subadult male it seems.. 

So there are 5 subadult males, 5 subadult females and 2 younger cubs from 2019 atm in the pride. 

Lion dynamics is rly interesting right now in Sabi Sands, uncertain situation in Western sector with Othawas/HB and Tumbelas, Mhangenis have new cubs and more on the way, Kambulas with new cubs and situation with subadults. Also Torchwoods and Sand River prides have new cubs, Southern Pride female also.. 

This is a very disturbing video. Did I hear right that there was infanticide in the Kambula pride. One of the lioness, killed the 2 cubs born in June of this year, while the mother just watched as it happened. I have not heard of this happening before within a pride of lions. What could have triggered this action? Has this pride become too big and there is a lot of friction between the pride females themselves as well as between the females and the sub-adults. The 3 cubs in the video on the kill were born more recently. Are they safe in the pride now?
1 user Likes felinefan's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-14-2020, 07:40 PM by Tr1x24 )

Othawas, Sassy and subadults, 2 days ago:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CGPzLpmFDUZ...8u2zayfbad

By the reports, Scar Tumbela male who was first mating with Aunty Othawa is the biggest of the 3 brothers, other 2 are smaller and comparable to Junior size..

Scar Tumbela might be older then other 2,maybe the same litter as 6th Nharu..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-14-2020, 08:13 PM by Slayerd )

Identifying the 3 Tumbela

Tumbela #1 Scar/Scar Eye. Has a Scar on his left eye. Seems to be the largest and oldest of the 3. Resembles Sizinani. Used to look extremely thin but has recently been filling up. Seen the most with the Othawa Female.

Tumbela #2 Limper. Has a limp possibly from a hunt. Looks to have the most clear face. Whilst the other 2 look like each of the Thanda Impi Males, this one holds less resemblance.

Tumbela #3 Scorro Jr/ Eyebrow. Resembles Scorro. Has a little hair on top of his left eye. Might be the least dominant but not 100% sure.

Attached Files Image(s)

9 users Like Slayerd's post

Gijima Offline

Good to see these two still doing well: 

Credit: @diressh_parbhoo
The cub of the lone Shimungwe lioness - feeding on the stolen kill made by the Molwati male leopard ? Location: Arathusa Safari Lodge, Sabi Sands

3 users Like Gijima's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-14-2020, 09:29 AM)felinefan Wrote: This is a very disturbing video.  Did I hear right that there was infanticide in the Kambula pride.  One of the lioness, killed the 2 cubs born in June of this year, while the mother just watched as it happened.  I have not heard of this happening before within a pride of lions.  What could have triggered this action? Has this pride become too big and there is a lot of friction between the pride females themselves as well as between the females and the sub-adults.  The 3 cubs in the video on the kill were born more recently.  Are they safe in the pride now?

Cubs can be killed in these kind of situations, when they get introduced to the pride around a kill when agression lvl is high..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

United States Peteporker Offline

(10-14-2020, 09:29 AM)felinefan Wrote:

This is a very disturbing video.  Did I hear right that there was infanticide in the Kambula pride.  One of the lioness, killed the 2 cubs born in June of this year, while the mother just watched as it happened.  I have not heard of this happening before within a pride of lions.  What could have triggered this action? Has this pride become too big and there is a lot of friction between the pride females themselves as well as between the females and the sub-adults.  The 3 cubs in the video on the kill were born more recently.  Are they safe in the pride now?

I remember this happening with cubs sired by the Matshapiri male as well.  So did this happened on more than one occasion and was it by the same female? Maybe its a dominance thing with with the dominant female.
1 user Likes Peteporker's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-15-2020, 01:45 AM)Gijima Wrote: Good to see these two still doing well: 

Credit: @diressh_parbhoo
The cub of the lone Shimungwe lioness - feeding on the stolen kill made by the Molwati male leopard ? Location: Arathusa Safari Lodge, Sabi Sands

The future of the Ximhungwe pride!
i wish the best to her
1 user Likes T I N O's post

( This post was last modified: 10-15-2020, 05:26 AM by Slayerd )

(10-14-2020, 09:29 AM)felinefan Wrote:

This is a very disturbing video.  Did I hear right that there was infanticide in the Kambula pride.  One of the lioness, killed the 2 cubs born in June of this year, while the mother just watched as it happened.  I have not heard of this happening before within a pride of lions.  What could have triggered this action? Has this pride become too big and there is a lot of friction between the pride females themselves as well as between the females and the sub-adults.  The 3 cubs in the video on the kill were born more recently.  Are they safe in the pride now?

It's not stated it happened this year. None of the Kambula even gave birth this year prior to the newborns now. This must have happened a few years ago. This is actually mostly common in young breakaway prides that don't have a clear Hireachy. In an already established pride like the Othawa, Nkuhuma, Birmingham prides and this current Kambula Pride. That is very unlikely. This is because older lionesses naturally take the role of leaders and the prides future is at stake. Established prides would kill for each others cubs. It becomes a United force. In Young females, the dominant lioness will kill her sisters cubs as a form of dominance to establish that hireachy. Its gruesome and horrible but a part of nature as well.
2 users Like Slayerd's post

Gijima Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-15-2020, 08:02 AM by Gijima )

The Kambulas were historically not great at keeping cubs alive. Litter after litter were lost or abandoned from 2016-2018. Maybe initially it was due to inexperience, but there is also something a bit off about this pride (the Birminghams brought a lot of stability). Based on their aggression towards their male offspring so soon I’m hoping this current litter doesn’t turn into a Mhangeni 12 situation. Here is the official Mala Mala quote from 2018:

“ The lionesses managed to bring down a buffalo in the area on the 4th and a Gowrie male and the four cubs soon joined them. This led to another mind-boggling moment when one of the females proceeded to kill two of her sister’s cubs while they were at the buffalo carcass. This peculiar behavior has left everyone scratching their heads, as we seem to come up with more hypotheses than answers.” Feb 2018 report 

“ Multiple females from the Kambula pride have been seen mating with the Gowrie males throughout the month. This unfortunately indicates that all the cubs have died as none of them were seen for the entirety of the month.” March 2018

They basically abandoned/ killed their previous cubs even though the Birminghams had accepted them.
1 user Likes Gijima's post

( This post was last modified: 10-15-2020, 08:49 AM by Slayerd )

(10-15-2020, 08:02 AM)Gijima Wrote: The Kambulas were historically not great at keeping cubs alive. Litter after litter were lost or abandoned from 2016-2018. Maybe initially it was due to inexperience, but there is also something a bit off about this pride (the Birminghams brought a lot of stability). Based on their aggression towards their male offspring so soon I’m hoping this current litter doesn’t turn into a Mhangeni 12 situation. Here is the official Mala Mala quote from 2018:

“ The lionesses managed to bring down a buffalo in the area on the 4th and a Gowrie male and the four cubs soon joined them. This led to another mind-boggling moment when one of the females proceeded to kill two of her sister’s cubs while they were at the buffalo carcass. This peculiar behavior has left everyone scratching their heads, as we seem to come up with more hypotheses than answers.” Feb 2018 report 

“ Multiple females from the Kambula pride have been seen mating with the Gowrie males throughout the month. This unfortunately indicates that all the cubs have died as none of them were seen for the entirety of the month.” March 2018

They basically abandoned/ killed their previous cubs even though the Birminghams had accepted them.

I don't think they are as crazy as they used to be. Young lions can be aggressive and unpredictable. The Kambula were only 4 or 5 years old at that time. The Kambula were also abandoned at a young age. The Mapogos and the Birminghams are signs of males that had that unpredictability. I've stated before that the Birminghams refused to mate with the Nkuhuma even though she was trying to mate and were instead trying to kill her and the Mapogos don't need examples as they were very unpredictable. My point being females also can have that unpredictability as well. There are cases of this unpredictable behaviour. As I said established prides won't have this problem. However ever since the Birminghams brought balance to the Kambula pride, they have been doing incredibly well. They've successfully raised most of their cubs to adulthood despite having to feed so many mouths. Yes they are aggressive but even this behaviour of them attacking young males is not out of the ordinary for lionesses. The Kambula are becoming a stable pride and I'm sure will be a long lasting pride. They have also not mated with any close relatives and have completely new blood in their genetics from the Birminghams which is healthy for the prides future. I'm really confident this pride has a great future ahead.
2 users Like Slayerd's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-15-2020, 08:02 AM)Gijima Wrote: The Kambulas were historically not great at keeping cubs alive. Litter after litter were lost or abandoned from 2016-2018. Maybe initially it was due to inexperience, but there is also something a bit off about this pride (the Birminghams brought a lot of stability). Based on their aggression towards their male offspring so soon I’m hoping this current litter doesn’t turn into a Mhangeni 12 situation. Here is the official Mala Mala quote from 2018:

That is crazy behavior, but I recall watching a lion show, I believe it was Savage Kingdom, and a lioness was off denning, when her sisters stumbled onto the den. While the mother tried to put up a little fight, once the other lionesses made their intentions clear, she basically stood by as it happened. Was a really terrible sight, and the narrator explained things as if this was typical behavior. It may be, but I had certainly not heard of it before.

As for the Kambulas, it is odd, that they have had so much death within the pride, yet they are such a large pride.
2 users Like BA0701's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

1 of the Northern Avoca males seen recently at Djuma Private Game Reserve
Image by: Villiers Steyn
Sabi Sands

4 users Like T I N O's post