There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Sabi Sand Game Reserve in South Africa.
Early morning on a cutline we came across the Nkahuma pride lounging about in the cool of the early morning.
Stayed quite a while with them looking at the antics of the youngsters playing.
One of the youngsters approached the big male looking for some company and playful interaction.
However the male was grumpy and in a filthy mood, in no uncertain terms he made the youngster know of his lack of a sense of humor on that early morning!!
Just love these big cats!!!!
Dark-maned Avoca and one of his sons of the Talamati pride
credit: Retief van der Reyden

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

It seems that the Othawa pride and the Matimba male have started to take a liking to zebra. We have been seeing an increase in zebra hunts ranging from adults to youngsters.

Image by @cal_butler

5 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Othawa pride:

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The Talamati pride quenching their thirst.
Credit: Zali_photo

2 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Dark-maned Avoca and the Talamati Pride
Credit:- Gideon Malherbe Photography

3 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Southern Avoca males.
The two Avoca males during the period when they were effecting their takeover of the Eyrefield pride.

Cuts and scars tell the story.

credit: Josh VD Ploeg 

4 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

A strunning portrait of a young male of the Ntsevu/Kambula pride at Singita Boulders lodge.
credit:- Marc Bowes-Taylor

1 user Likes T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

the Othawa male.

We have been lucky enough to see the Mhangene pride and the Ottawa male a lot recently as they explore the western parts of their territory! The Ottawa male just looking incredibly good, and certainly showing his dominance! 
credit:- Alexandra MacLaren

T I N O Offline
Moderators

A walking tank!
One of the two Gowrie/Birmingham males on a territorial patrol at Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve
Credit:- Kevin VD Linde
Oct 2019

Slayerd Offline

https://youtu.be/DFSL6z0Pp50

Birmingham/Gowrie males and Kambula pride at Mala Mala. According to rangers, the males and massive pride chased the Plain Camp breakaway, the Fourways pride and the Nkuhuma pride in under 24hrs covering 20+km. One of the females is also on the brink of giving birth which means a new generation of cubs for the pride. Nhenha was mating with a 2nd female 2 months ago as well so it can only be assumed that she will also give birth in another month or so.
4 users Like Slayerd's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the Nkuhuma pride lionesses.
Credit:- WildEarth 

2 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(07-30-2020, 11:40 AM)Slayerd Wrote: https://youtu.be/DFSL6z0Pp50

Birmingham/Gowrie males and Kambula pride at Mala Mala. According to rangers, the males and massive pride chased the Plain Camp breakaway, the Fourways pride and the Nkuhuma pride in under 24hrs covering 20+km. One of the females is also on the brink of giving birth which means a new generation of cubs for the pride. Nhenha was mating with a 2nd female 2 months ago as well so it can only be assumed that she will also give birth in another month or so.

Excellent post and good writting.
Very helpful
1 user Likes T I N O's post

Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

" The Styx Pride and Nkuhuma male were moving through the thickets when we spotted them, stopping in a perfect position for us to witness some interesting morning social interaction. Initially, the males were showing some interest in one of the females, who was taking no nonsense and gave the two young males something to think about. The boys then kept their distance for a while as the females proceeded to chase each other around playfully before settling for the morning. Almost as one, all their heads were raised from sleep as the distant call of lions reached their ears, but when the roaring stopped, they wasted no time in going back to sleep. It was incredible watching these lions interact in the winter colours of the bush. "

2 users Like Spalea's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Nkhoro Bush Lodge

Story of the Kruger males.

In the last 2-3 years, we have had some visits form two unknown male lions crossing over from the Kruger National Park onto Nkorho and our  traversing  area. These males have probably never seen any vehicles in their life, and for that reason they kept a low profile away from us.

Luckily during this time we have had some great  sightings of them around. Thankful for the Torchwood pride, who are luckily habituated with our vehicles, these males are slowly starting to get used to us. In time, if we treat them the same way we treat other animals with the vehicles, these males will gain our trust.
In the last two months, we were lucky enough to have had these males in our area and we could see a huge improvement in their behavior towards us. I really do hope that these males settle into the territory along with the Torchwood pride and that we can have a solid pride of lions.

So it looks like Torchwood pride has some pride males which are not Avoca males.
3 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-30-2020, 03:36 PM by Tr1x24 )

(07-30-2020, 03:31 PM)Potato Wrote: Nkhoro Bush Lodge

Story of the Kruger males.

In the last 2-3 years, we have had some visits form two unknown male lions crossing over from the Kruger National Park onto Nkorho and our  traversing  area. These males have probably never seen any vehicles in their life, and for that reason they kept a low profile away from us.

Luckily during this time we have had some great  sightings of them around. Thankful for the Torchwood pride, who are luckily habituated with our vehicles, these males are slowly starting to get used to us. In time, if we treat them the same way we treat other animals with the vehicles, these males will gain our trust.
In the last two months, we were lucky enough to have had these males in our area and we could see a huge improvement in their behavior towards us. I really do hope that these males settle into the territory along with the Torchwood pride and that we can have a solid pride of lions.

So it looks like Torchwood pride has some pride males which are not Avoca males.

Thats the Fourways pride males.
So this 2 control large area east of Sabi Sands, from north of Sabi Sands and all the way to the south almost.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post