There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the testosterone levels of varying animals?

United States paul cooper Offline
Banned

(12-31-2017, 03:59 AM)Polar Wrote: Yes, the lion's mane is an evolutionary adaptation in lions and not much of a testosterone counter. So not much can be differed in terms of testosterone between tigers and lions in terms of the mane. 

Aggression manners are also quite different in personality between species (more aggressive blue-eyed tigers and maneless lions), and aggression comparisons would only matter intra-species (more aggressive lion could have more testosterone than less aggressive one). I would even go as far  say that the Tsavo lions have greater testosterone than most other modern lions because of their greater size, greater average muscle mass, and possibly because of their higher aggression.

Some tigers, like Sumatran ones, grow a larger mane relative to their head size and are much more aggressive than their mainland counterparts. Maybe this is due to testosterone, maybe this is just a regional adaptation/reaction to negative pressures. Sumatra was in a series of economic difficulties and a giant war in the first half and 1960s of the last century, and armies usually would burn large sections of forest down to travel through them easily. This affected many of the local flora and fauna, and Sumatran tigers probably started rebelling because of this. These tigers' differences are likely regional ones.

When i talk about the mane, i am talking about not just the ruff around, but the actual neck and that area where lions grow their manes.
Testosterone causing aggression is highly disputed. Btw if you didnt know, a average human has 3x more testosterone then a lion or a tiger. Testosterone causes behavior to become dominant, not directly aggression. For example, If you see my posts on the "Tigers with mane" thread, i am
posting these 2 tigers that like together, their names are Enzo and Diego (both males) Enzo is a bengal tiger, he looks like a typical dominant male bengal tiger you see in india. Enzo is bigger than diego. Not sure what species diego is, most likely mixed. But both a lions mane growing around their neck, and with a long ruff on the sides. Diego is very aggressive. Enzo is a very mellow and cool tiger, he is philosophical. But who is the dominant one? Enzo is.  
Also enzo has a bigger mane too. I think lions get manes actually because of sociality. Tigers, maybe. Not sure that is a mystery why tigers get manes around their necks. Tigresses dont have the ruff. 

I dont know much about sumatran tigers, but are they really more aggressive? Does a bigger ruff really make them more aggressive?
2 users Like paul cooper's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: What are the testosterone levels of varying animals? - paul cooper - 12-31-2017, 06:29 AM