There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canids and Hyaenids Interactions

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-10-2015, 10:55 PM by Pckts )

(02-10-2015, 07:17 AM)'Pantherinae' Wrote: Well a wolf pack killing bison's is one thing two hyenas bringing down a cape buffalo is another, that's just as impressive. 

A wolf and a hyena is compleatly different build animals. hyenas are heavy at The back, and a extreme neck aswell! Wolves are medium build overall in their biodies. 

That leopard did still not kill The hyena, even with a throat bite, it's wierd the hyena went down such easy, very Often even male leopards gives up their meal when a large hyena is coming in, The hyena on those pictures Looks young with ryggy fur and light coat. I'm not saying leopards can't take down hyenas, but against a highly ranked female hyena against a large male leopard I don't think it's possible to take a stand! (I highly respect hyenas, I've seen so much of them that impresses me very much) on The other hand I saw a cougar lift and flip a adult wolf around like nothing! That would never have happend to a hyena! 

Actually yes pckts: have no doubts a big hyena would beat a wolf!

Show me where you saw a Puma lift and flip a wolf around like it was nothing?

"I'm not saying leopards can't take down hyenas, but against a highly ranked female hyena against a large male leopard I don't think it's possible to take a stand!"
Leopards have taken on adult female and male hyennas 3 at a time and won. It doesn't matter the sex, a large male leopard is going to be to much for a hyenna. Thats why you have never seen a single hyenna kill a Leopard but leopards have killed hyenna, But its a close fight either way. I have seen just as many leopards stand their ground against numerous hyenna as be run off, so thats pointless to only specify one side of the story.

"Actually yes pckts: have no doubts a big hyena would beat a wolf!"
Obviously you have NO CLUE since it has never ever happened, ever!
Not a single account, instance or any match in history. We are talking about a Grey Wolf btw.

"That leopard did still not kill The hyena, even with a throat bite, it's wierd the hyena went down such easy,"
The point is, the hyena went down. Easily!
If the leopard holds the throat hold, its dead. If the leopard looked at the hyenna as a food source, it could start consuming it even if its unconsious. It doesn't matter, like its already stated. Cutting off oxygen to the brain has nothing to do with "durability"

"Well a wolf pack killing bison's is one thing two hyenas bringing down a cape buffalo is another, that's just as impressive. "
Lets compare apples to apples than. Do you have the alleged video of the two hyenas bringing down a cape buffalo?

Because here is a pack of 10 plus hyenas needed to take on a Cape and it doesn't even say if they are successful in making the kill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1wcUfOsFtQ

and here you see a mom protecting her new born calf against 10 plus hyena
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ktky0F69bg

So unless they are going after a calf, young, injured buffalo or sick, there is no chance that 2 can take an adult down.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Felines in competition with other carnivores - Pckts - 02-10-2015, 10:41 PM