There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-08-2020, 02:34 AM by Balam )

(06-08-2020, 02:27 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:
(06-08-2020, 02:14 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: Ricardo Ortiz had this to say about Aurora/Pantanal jaguars:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Translation: "the Jaguars from Aurora are big, but the ones from Pantanal are bigger due to the prey they consume, cheers!"

He also did tracking of jaguars in the south of Pantanal un Mato Grosso do Sul

I asked him is he could estimate the weight of some males in the area, this was his answer:

"I estimate an adult male from that area to weight between 90 to 110 kg"

So it seems like Aurora jaguars are more similar in size to Cerrado jaguars based on his opinion! Nonetheless I will be expectant for when they start doing captures.

Nice info on the Aurora jags they seem to be similar to Cerrado jaguars and both will surprise us for sure. do you know if there was any register of melanistic jaguar in Llanos overall??

So far I haven't seen any jaguars from the region in melanistic form so I doubt they're present. 

I'm also even more curious now to know about the ecology of these jaguars in terms of prey, he is the second person from Panthera to tell me that these jaguars feed of different species than Pantanal ones, so I wonder if they are targetting capybara in more frequency than caiman. That being said I still believe a large jaguar like Caricare could comfortably be above 120 kg. This other beast from the Llanos was captured on a different area from Aurora, I'm dying wanting to know about their measurements.

2 users Like Balam's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars - Balam - 06-08-2020, 02:33 AM