There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 2.4 Average
The Java Tiger (Panthera tigris sondaica)

Indonesia P.T.Sondaica Offline

(04-08-2016, 09:12 AM)phatio Wrote: Thanks guys,  I promise you I will share everything I know about the Indonesian tigers considering they are one of the least studied subspecies.
@peter : I'm pretty sure there are no striped lions, it's just adult male javan tiger with long ruff. Remember the article on AVA few years ago (your tiger extinction thread) , which said the captive male javan tigers has the longest facial ruff compared to other tigers. in fact it was posted by yourself if I remember correctly.

@Pckts : that pug mark definitely belongs to big cat. the question is which big cat it is? because java also has leopards. 

Kabar terbaru sepuh Didik berhasil menemukan foto terbaru minggu kemarin dan sangat jelas..
unfortunately they, the expedition teams, didn't tell the width of the pug mark, but they said that the pug mark is way larger than other pug mark they often found near Ranu Tompe, the hidden lake of Semeru mountain. 

a few pictures of the Java tiger ( Panthera sondaica )

watch the stripe pattern  and facial marks closely, then you'll realise actualy it is easy to distinguish between javan tiger and other tiger. 
the stripes are numerous with very thin line and the facial marks seems like combination between striped and spotted cat, a sign of an early evolution?
I guess so, imo. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

Above all they have the longest body proportions compared to other tigers. again, this is just my opinion based from those pictures.
as peter said, they are different breed of tigers. i would like to call them the ancient tiger.

Kabar terbaru sepuh didik berhasil menemukan foto sangat jelas mnggu lalu
3 users Like P.T.Sondaica's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Java Tiger (Panthera sondaica) - P.T.Sondaica - 10-05-2016, 09:09 AM
Return of The Java Tiger? - phatio - 05-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Bali Tigers in Color - phatio - 02-03-2021, 09:02 PM