There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 2.4 Average
The Java Tiger (Panthera tigris sondaica)

Indonesia phatio Offline
Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 04-25-2023, 08:40 PM by phatio )

(04-13-2023, 07:09 PM)peter Wrote: PHATIO

Hello there my friend! Long time no see. How's life in Indonesia? 

Before commenting on the video, I need some answers to questions. 

1 - Tell me about the location. Is it a reserve or a wild mountain in an in habited region? 
2 - If it's a reserve, is there a project going on? 
3 - Do biologists know about this region?  
4 - What are the villagers saying? Are there are rumours about big cats? Since when? 
5 - Tell me about the four men. Are they experienced? What were they doing there? What was their aim? 
6 - The translation is not good over here. Can you make a summary of what the men said and thought? Why did they leave?
7 - Any news about big cats in eastern Java?

Many thanks for posting the video. When I'm done with Amur tigers and bears (soon), I want to discuss Sunda tigers. I bought a few books some years ago. All of them were written by the Dutch a long time ago.

hello Peter, I'm fine thank you. yea its been a while, I'm sorry been very busy lately

1. it's a national park, probably hold the highest number of javan leopard in the island. suprisingly its very close to Jakarta, so its a very popular hiking destination (outside the main core area ofc). the video probably took place near the core area via traditional route. 
2. as far i know, atleast there is a project of  monitoring javan leopards and other wildlife with camera trapping.
3. yes they do. but i dont know any other project in there, except for the javan leopard as  i said before.
4. not only from this mountain, rumours coming from many other reserves every years. but thats it, no hard evidence to back it up. i can give you tons of articles of tiger sighting here in java, but mostly just testimony from a witness only.
5. Actually, I don't know about them. someone send me link of the video, and i said to myself this could be real. their gesture looks natural to me. who knows. thats why i ask your opinion. after a brief check from his channel, i conclude the guy is a youtuber about the wild birds from this mountain. the other guys are wild bird hunters, yeah its illegal, but...  i think you know how the law in a third world country.
6. they spoke mainly in sundanesse (west javan origin), so i didn't understand. from the narration he said they just arrived when they heard the roar. fyi the youtuber guy once accidentally met a leopard in this jungle and then the spoted cat running away  imediately. this time is different, the roar is getting closer, as if the animal challenges them, so they decided to back off. they even leave one cellphone and other valuable equipment behind because they were too afraid to take it.
7. just rumours as always. good news is the authority of meru betiri and other reserves starting to use camera trap to monitor their area, so finger crossed.

so what do you think about the video peter? at the beginning of the video you can see the portait of this mountain with its dense jungle bellow it. and when the footage started, you can clearly feel how a remote jungle in java realy look like.

about the book of sonda tigers written by the Dutch, ofc thats very interesting to me. 
can't wait to see your post my friend
4 users Like phatio's post

Messages In This Thread
Return of The Java Tiger? - phatio - 05-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Bali Tigers in Color - phatio - 02-03-2021, 09:02 PM
RE: The Java Tiger (Panthera tigris sondaica) - phatio - 04-25-2023, 08:39 PM