There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

T I N O Offline
Moderators

A week in pictures by Chad Cocking - Tanda Tula
Photo below context: One of the Sark/Mafikizolo lioness. 

the Mayambula Pride made their way up to Tanda Tula Safari Camp and our trackers located them on the ridge just behind Safari Camp. Sadly though, the roars of the Vuyela males to the north sent the Mayambula Pride all the way back south, and they were tracked into the Kruger Park the next morning. Fortunately, the Giraffe Pride were around, and had moved into the very eastern parts of their territory. Ginger got to enjoy the marvellous sight of 19 members of the pride walking down the road and past his vehicle. Four other members were seen a few times in the western part of our concession, but there was no sign of the Hercules male this week. *The remains of a male lion were found in the south-western Timbavati, and it is assumed that these remains were of the sickly Sumatra male, a lion who had done well to avoid the inevitable for so many months*. I headed off to see the Giraffe Pride after drinks on my first evening drive, but as they had been left unattended, I needed to relocate them; we picked up some tracks, but the closest we got was listening to the pride chase after a herd of giraffes in the middle of a very thick block, in the dark. A couple of days later we did get to see six members of the Sark Breakaway pride resting up out of the wind in the same area, but the bulk of the Giraffe Pride didn’t show face. The Vuyela males could be heard roaring most nights, but they continued to move around north of our concession where the River Pride lionesses have a den.

*This image is copyright of its original author
9 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

So Sumatra male passed away, rip..
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

RIP king Sumatra
4 users Like afortich's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Lets hope that Hercules can buy some time for their offspring, he and Mapoza are not in greatest situation surounded by BDM's, Vuyelas, up and coming Birmigham breakaway and Birmingham "white lion" coalitions.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Mwk85 Offline

Son or possibly grandson of the Skybed males?

5 users Like Mwk85's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-25-2023, 09:43 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Son or possibly grandson of the Skybed males?

Great looking boy! How long did the Skybeds last as a massive coalition of 10, did they control any prides while having those original numbers?
3 users Like BA0701's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-26-2023, 07:47 AM by Mapokser )

Is this https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm8JVOonwDK/...Q2YQ%3D%3D the original Black Dam Male like said by the tracker, or is it the Giraffe Male?

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-lions-o...ti?page=43

In this page the poster says the tracker misidentified him and it is actually the Giraffe male.

And this second one, Giraffe or BDM?

5 users Like Mapokser's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

In both pics the mighty Black dam male
5 users Like T I N O's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

Yeah I was suspicions about the other WF poster's claims they were the Giraffe male.

The body length is too ridiculous to be anyone but the BDM.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Two of the five Vuyela males were seen at Machaton Private Camp in Timbavati PNR
Photo credits: Machaton Private Camp 
Via Instagram: Machaton_Private_Camp
July 2023

7 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The Vuyela males with the River pride - They have been mating last week with the females. Hopefully we will see new cubs in the next months
Photo credits: Machaton Private Camp
Via instagram: Macharon_Private_Camp
July 2023

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Ross male stealing left overs from Giraffe pride. Next morning far south again
Photo credits: Ziggi Hugo

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Giraffe Pride - Timbavati. Killed a buffalo. Finished it completely before they were chased off. Hercules not there. Counted between 17 to 19 lion (not 100% sure as they scattered when the Ross male arrived. They stopped a couple of kilometers away on Avoca road for a drink in the road before moving off to the north.

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Guernsey male - First 2 pics after he had a short confrontation with Ross male and the other 2 pics 2 days later on our North Western boundary.

6 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Monwana pride with Mapoza male visiting us. Most lions in good condition with some off the young males with some bite marks

7 users Like T I N O's post