There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor

Absolutely beautiful photos of Mo & his lady taken today on Mjejane. 
Photo credit: Botha

*This image is copyright of its original author

10 users Like lionuk's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-24-2021, 08:47 PM by Brahim )

Mazithi/ Tshokwane males
6 users Like Brahim's post

Contributor

The older male in a coalition with the 3 Mazithi youngsters.
Photo credit: Big On Wild

5 users Like lionuk's post

Contributor

Torchwood male. A Fantastic-looking male! 
Photo credit: W. Photographer

6 users Like lionuk's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-25-2021, 12:40 AM by lionuk )

These males are the sons of the Gomondwane males. They are called the Shishangeni males.
Surprisingly, two cheetah mothers with cubs share the same area frequented by these big males. 
Photo credit: Hanno Emarus 

7 users Like lionuk's post

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline

The Shishangeni males had fully taking over the Vurhami pride by mid 2016. The spent much of late 2015 making incursions and chasing away the remaining Gomondwane. 
The famales then went to join their new pride males, the Shishangeni, for good in mid 2016. 
I believe "Mo" was actually born in late 2016 and not in early 2017. 
It's hard to tell because some males mature much faster in terms of appearance & size. E.G, OM, BDYMs etc. 

Those that saw him as year old cub say he was born in early 2017. But i'm not sure. 

Either way, the boy is a stud for his age.
3 users Like Mabingilane's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-25-2021, 12:06 AM)lionuk Wrote: These males are the sons of the Gomondwane males. They are called the Shishangeni males.
Surprisingly, two cheetah mothers with cubs share the same area frequented by these big males. 

These are the Gomondwane males. They're sons of the old Gomondwane males as well.
3 users Like T I N O's post

Contributor

(10-25-2021, 01:42 AM)Timbavati Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 12:06 AM)lionuk Wrote: These males are the sons of the Gomondwane males. They are called the Shishangeni males.

These are the Gomondwane males. They're sons of the old Gomondwane males as well.

You mean, they are the new Gomondwane males aka Shishangeni males?
2 users Like lionuk's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-25-2021, 02:24 AM by Tr1x24 )

(10-25-2021, 02:13 AM)lionuk Wrote: You mean, they are the new Gomondwane males aka Shishangeni males?

They are Gomondwane males, their fathers where 6 Old Gomondwane males who also sired Shishangeni males, Shishangeni males and current Gomondwane males are half brothers (description is wrong, these guys are not Shishangeni males).
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-25-2021, 02:13 AM)lionuk Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 01:42 AM)Timbavati Wrote:

You mean, they are the new Gomondwane males aka Shishangeni males?

The Shishangeni and Gomondwane are two different coalition of lions. The Shishangeni coalition is now made up of 2 males. Originally they were four males, But two of them have passed away. The third member died last year. The Gomondwane coalition is made up of seven males. They've split in two groups, while five of the seven spends most of their time together, the other two weren't seen in ages (As far I'm aware) From the group of 5, only three of the five were seen recently too. NOTE: (If I not mistaken)

NOTE: Shishangeni and Gomondwane are half-brothers. They were sired by the 6 old Gomondwane males. Description is wrong.
3 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-25-2021, 02:46 AM)Timbavati Wrote: From the group of 5, only three of the five were seen recently too. NOTE: (If I not mistaken)

All 5 where seen together few months ago near Tshokwane males territory up north.. They are split in 2 gruops, those 3 who are seen regularly on s28, and other 2 are prob further east/north..

Its unknown where or what happened to other 2, its speculation that they maybe moved further east out of Kruger boundary into Mozambique.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-25-2021, 03:01 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 02:46 AM)Timbavati Wrote: From the group of 5, only three of the five were seen recently too. NOTE: (If I not mistaken)

All 5 where seen together few months ago near Tshokwane males territory up north.. They are split in 2 gruops, those 3 who are seen regularly on s28, and other 2 are prob further east/north..

Its unknown where or what happened to other 2, its speculation that they maybe moved further east out of Kruger boundary into Mozambique.

Thanks for the information. I didn't knew all five were seen recently. so, the other group made up of two is still missing. I meant, the ones who went out of Kruger boundary into Mozambique.
2 users Like T I N O's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Mantimahles:

Attached Files Image(s)

10 users Like Brahim's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Watch the Hamiltons male (He was previously the Hamiltons Pride male but he got pushed out by the two N’waswitsontso males) looking and calling for his pride. He walks right pass an Impala herd and strangely they don't seem to be scared at all of this huge male lion. They just watch him as he walk past.
Filmed on the S125 close to the Kumana Dam in Kruger National Park.

5 users Like Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The old Lubyelubye male and his son. What a portrait!
Photo credits: Calvin Howard

10 users Like T I N O's post