There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 10 Vote(s) - 2.3 Average
The Matimba coalition

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(12-20-2020, 12:35 AM)sundarbans Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 07:43 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Here another photo of HB with a sibling/cousin on Ngala Private Game Reserve
Image credit goes to: Mark Gibson
November 2007 

*This image is copyright of its original author

Very curious to know how people successfully match such a young cub to an adult male almost 13 years later. Is it by using the whisker pattern or is there some other method?

Of course, I've checked the whisker pattern of this cub with HB in recent years. For example, In 2012 onwards.
1 user Likes T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Ginger Matimba at Ngala Reserve, February, 2009.
Image credit: Luciano Serra 

6 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

A stunning photo of the three Matimba males Ginger (in front) White face (in the left) and Shaka (in the back) with a young lioness in the right side
Image credit: Ole Christian Wiborg
November 30,. 2008

6 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

After a day of lazing on the open plains and as the sun was setting, we drew another spectacular day on the reserve to an end with the Matimba males moving through the property. Deep within the boundary of the Charleston males, the Matimba's seemed very relaxed and carried on wandering as if no threat was at hand - Photo by Terry Ennever from Sabi Sabi PGR

8 users Like T I N O's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

My favorite male lion Ginger and cubs.

credits: Wildearth

10 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

A very much recent sighting of Hairy belly Matimba, he is a little thin but he's still hanging on and has re united with the Othawa sub adults and 2 of the 3 lionesses.
Image credit: Timothy Griesel

8 users Like T I N O's post

Hairy tummy Offline

He needs a few good meals in him. Keep battling on HB!
3 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-30-2020, 06:06 PM by Tr1x24 )

Newest update on HB, he is in Singita with Nkuhuma and Styx young males, feeding on giraffe carcass:

Photo and info credit: gazranger

8 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

The wound is growing insteed of healing. I think the end for this male is really near. I hope he can hang around a bit more, but definitelly I do not think he will.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-30-2020, 06:15 PM)Potato Wrote: The wound is growing insteed of healing. I think the end for this male is really near. I hope he can hang around a bit more, but definitelly I do not think he will.

Well obiviously, he is like this for months now,so thats nothing new, only matter of time at this point of his age..

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(12-30-2020, 06:53 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 06:15 PM)Potato Wrote: The wound is growing insteed of healing. I think the end for this male is really near. I hope he can hang around a bit more, but definitelly I do not think he will.

Well obiviously, he is like this for months now,so thats nothing new, only matter of time at this point of his age..

I do not think he was. I think he is at the moment in the worst condition he ever been since taking over Othawa pride.

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Good news that HB is now with the Styx and Nkuhuma young males. Hope he'll stay with them. At least, It's a good chance that he can survived even more
2 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(12-30-2020, 08:40 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Good news that HB is now with the Styx and Nkuhuma young males. Hope he'll stay with them. At least, It's a good chance that he can survived even more

His only chance would be with Othawa pride. Being with Nkuchuma and Styx male is not going to help him. Young males at best will leave old guy behind as he is no use for them whatsoever. They might even kill him as he is not part of the coalition and in such condition wouldn't be any challange for them.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

(12-30-2020, 09:32 PM)Potato Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 08:40 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Good news that HB is now with the Styx and Nkuhuma young males. Hope he'll stay with them. At least, It's a good chance that he can survived even more

His only chance would be with Othawa pride. Being with Nkuchuma and Styx male is not going to help him. Young males at best will leave old guy behind as he is no use for them whatsoever. They might even kill him as he is not part of the coalition and in such condition wouldn't be any challange for them.

That's a wrong assumption.  Being with those young male lions will absolutely help him and he is getting much needed nourishment by sticking to such lions from time to time.  He is not boxed in with the Othawa Pride whose females are now moving on with the younger generation of males. 

Kill him? I believe a lion as experienced as HB could sense whether such males mean him harm by their body language and growls.  He obviously is a better judge of this than we are.  Even if this is a possibility, he needs to take his chances if the Othawa Pride is beyond his reach more often than not.  Other options must be considered.

Hairy tummy Offline

He might take his new pals with him to kick some tumbela butt?