There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Impressive Wild Jaguars - Pictures and Videos

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-30-2020, 04:33 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 03:50 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 08:30 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: These Northern Pantanal jaguars can't seem to stop amazing me, can we ID this beast?

*This image is copyright of its original author

By Pantaneiros Tours

Video of the male in question:

That huge male's name is Edno and he was first seen in 2019

Him, Balam, and the last male I posted are all tanks and it's great to see so many huge toms around PJ now that Mick and Adriano are gone. Hopefully after this virus situation passes we'll get better footage of them once tourists return.

Very bad news, apparently poaching has picked up quite a bit since covid struck. I really fear for the Pantanal, these fisherman that became guides know where all the cats are and they don't care about wildlife the way people like Paulo, Paul and others from Panthera do.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(06-30-2020, 07:09 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 04:33 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 03:50 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 08:30 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: These Northern Pantanal jaguars can't seem to stop amazing me, can we ID this beast?

By Pantaneiros Tours

Video of the male in question:

That huge male's name is Edno and he was first seen in 2019

Him, Balam, and the last male I posted are all tanks and it's great to see so many huge toms around PJ now that Mick and Adriano are gone. Hopefully after this virus situation passes we'll get better footage of them once tourists return.

Very bad news, apparently poaching has picked up quite a bit since covid struck. I really fear for the Pantanal, these fisherman that became guides know where all the cats are and they don't care about wildlife the way people like Paulo, Paul and others from Panthera do.

These are horrible news, I had heard the same thing happening in Colombia due to covid as well. I would hope the government would enforce environmental protections through indicting those who poach or facilitate poaching but oftentimes they just turn the other cheek. I heard recent news of someone being jailed in Venezuela for killing a jaguar and posting the pictures online, hopefully the same can be done in other countries but I doubt it.
2 users Like Balam's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-01-2020, 05:55 AM by Dark Jaguar )

@OncaAtrox Matheus and Manco are the same jaguar

Pantanal Jaguars from Refúgio da Ilha

credits: Refúgio da Ilha Ecolodge

Baleado male.

photos: Mauricio Copetti

3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

A question for all concerned are jaguars overall safe or not throughout their range ? 

regards.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(07-01-2020, 06:10 AM)Lycaon Wrote: A question for all concerned are jaguars overall safe or not throughout their range ? 

regards.

In terms of conservation? I believe they face similar challenges as other big cats due to loss of habitat and poaching, but jaguars also face the challenge of prey loss in many areas where the prey is hunted heavily. The Amazon is vast and still holds most of the jaguar population. In terms of other biomes, I know that while poaching is still a major threat for jaguars in los Llanos, the number of killings have been reduced throughout the years through community outreach, added value of ecotourism and the anti-depredatory measures put in place that I talked about a few weeks ago that have reduced the predation levels on livestock.

I'm just hoping that there isn't a major uptick on jaguar killings due to the virus situation as jaguars are still in a process of recovering from being hunted in the thousands during the last century.
1 user Likes Balam's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@"OncaAtrox" 

Thanks a bunch for the reply.
1 user Likes Lycaon's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Another look of handsome Edno

Jaguar Enthusiast

@Lycaon

Regarding poachers, No biome is 100% safe from poachers but I'd assume you mentioning about the northern pantanal situation, I think with the jaguar population increase in the last decade and high density in that area they could hold it if this pandemic doesn't end in a long term and everything goes back to normal soon but in case it lasts its gonna be a serious threat to the enviornment since hunters will notice conservationists presence are less frequently than before more often and the crap government here in general don't care and don't take the conservation of the wild enviornment as serious as they should. I really fear these poachers galore entering the Caatinga biome, it'd be the end of Caatinga jaguars and pumas.
1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@Dark Jaguar 

Many thanks.
1 user Likes Lycaon's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

credits: Projeto Iauaretê

photo: Adriano Gambarini

Amazonic Jaguar named Mamad with age estimated to be 6 years old.

2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

New picture of Silvano by RY

3 users Like Balam's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

A long distance shot of the impressive 120 kg estimated Caricare

Librao male

Credits to Aurora Reserve.
3 users Like Balam's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-03-2020, 09:23 PM by Balam )

Southern Pantanal male known as Praínha

By Theo Van Engelen

Camera trap footage:

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Very bad news, Tiago was found dead @Dark Jaguar
1 user Likes Balam's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-04-2020, 04:11 AM by Dark Jaguar )

(07-04-2020, 02:19 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: Very bad news, Tiago was found dead @Dark Jaguar

Thats terrible news I couldn't believe when I read your message.  Confused

I was really bad with Lampião Caatinga male's death and now this??

Both melanistic jaguars dead in less than 8 months in modern days what a tragedy.

I just spoke with Jorge and checked on Leandro's page him holding Tiagos skull, I noticed there are canines missing.  Weird

Leandro will tell details about what happened soon.

Disappointed

1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post