There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Nkuhuma Pride

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(04-01-2024, 05:41 AM)Mapokser Wrote: All I can think is that he must be confused remembering stuff from 16-18 years ago.

9 males from the Southern Pride? Mapogos killing one and scattering the rest? It doesn't ring any bells.

Something of this nature would probably have been documented somewhere and be well know.

The closest I can think to anything similar to what he describes was when, in 2011, the 3 remaining Mapogo chased and scattered the 5 Southern/Selati subadult males, but they didn't even caught any of them, and 5 is almost half of 9.

Yeah, that is a really large group of males, that I certainly don't recall hearing about. I haven't even heard about a large group, that is less than 9, coming out of the Southern Pride, unless they may have gone by another name.
2 users Like BA0701's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-01-2024, 12:50 PM by KM600 )

(04-01-2024, 03:36 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Khanya is still with them this afternoon, but now there seems to only be two lionesses with him, and the others, including Chela are nowhere to be seen. I'd assume that Chela is off to visit the cubbies. Guide said the BDM are still around, but they have a really large area to cover.

Apologies for these edits, but in trying to get these lengthy videos shared with you all, I did not watch the entire video before sharing it. Towards the end of this video, the guide stated that he watched Khanya walk right up to the two lionesses, one of whom is Chela, and there was nothing, no growling, nothing. It seems strange that even when they leave they seem to be returning to where he is and laying near him. Guide also says, towards the end of the video, that he hears hyenas in the are area he believes the den site to be, and Chela is not reacting to it.

I don’t think that’s Chela at the end, plus it wouldn’t really make sense for majority of the females to leave but Chela stays when she’s the one who most needs to leave to tend to her cubs. 

Infrared sighting was really cool to see how much bigger Khanya is than both of the females. Also looked like as they were moving away, one of the females kept stopping and looking back at Khanya almost tryna lead him on. I guess having a big male around isn’t too bad for every lionesses but Chela when they don’t have cubs.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Super Moderator

(04-01-2024, 12:49 PM)KM600 Wrote:
(04-01-2024, 03:36 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Khanya is still with them this afternoon, but now there seems to only be two lionesses with him, and the others, including Chela are nowhere to be seen. I'd assume that Chela is off to visit the cubbies. Guide said the BDM are still around, but they have a really large area to cover.

Apologies for these edits, but in trying to get these lengthy videos shared with you all, I did not watch the entire video before sharing it. Towards the end of this video, the guide stated that he watched Khanya walk right up to the two lionesses, one of whom is Chela, and there was nothing, no growling, nothing. It seems strange that even when they leave they seem to be returning to where he is and laying near him. Guide also says, towards the end of the video, that he hears hyenas in the are area he believes the den site to be, and Chela is not reacting to it.

I don’t think that’s Chela at the end, plus it wouldn’t really make sense for majority of the females to leave but Chela stays when she’s the one who most needs to leave to tend to her cubs. 

Infrared sighting was really cool to see how much bigger Khanya is than both of the females. Also looked like as they were moving away, one of the females kept stopping and looking back at Khanya almost tryna lead him on. I guess having a big male around isn’t too bad for every lionesses but Chela when they don’t have cubs.

The part at the end I am referring to is when he actually says he can clearly see the recent bite injury to her back left hip. Once the light goes out there appears a darker tawny and a much lighter tawny lioness, and I do know that Chela is a lot lighter colored than the others, as far as if that was Chela he walked up to, I truly have no idea, it is filmed as the sun was going down, but one of the two lying side by side were def a lighter colored lioness. So much happening, right now, and differing concerns come with all of it.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Super Moderator

Guides have decided to search for the Nkuhuma cubs, no cubs found.

6 users Like BA0701's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(04-04-2024, 09:22 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Guides have decided to search for the Nkuhuma cubs, no cubs found.

i may have forgotten to mention here.....but Chela has not shown any signs of suckling all week...i think the cubs have been lost at least that long
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

Super Moderator

(04-05-2024, 01:00 AM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(04-04-2024, 09:22 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Guides have decided to search for the Nkuhuma cubs, no cubs found.

i may have forgotten to mention here.....but Chela has not shown any signs of suckling all week...i think the cubs have been lost at least that long

It was concerning to see her remaining with Khanya for so long, and those cubs being so little. We'll never know what happened to them, sadly, but I do believe they are gone as well.
2 users Like BA0701's post

NLAL11 Offline

Londolozi Blog: The Week In Pictures #642

https://blog.londolozi.com/2024/03/29/th...tures-642/

*This image is copyright of its original author

The Nkuhuma Young Males and their father the Avoca Male march through the long grass in the direction of a herd of buffalo. (Picture dated from 13th March)

*This image is copyright of its original author

One of the Nkuhuma Young Males quenches his thirst after a failed attempt at taking down a buffalo. (Picture dated from the 15th March)
8 users Like NLAL11's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

The great Mohawk with the Gang, so happy to see them.

9 users Like afortich's post

NLAL11 Offline

Chela and two other Nkuhumas on WildEarth. Chela has a limp, another has a wound on her behind area and one has blood on the back of her neck. The guide also points out what has already been mentioned: lack of lactation and suckle marks on Chela.

4 users Like NLAL11's post

Super Moderator

(04-06-2024, 11:44 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Chela and two other Nkuhumas on WildEarth. Chela has a limp, another has a wound on her behind area and one has blood on the back of her neck. The guide also points out what has already been mentioned: lack of lactation and suckle marks on Chela.

Chela had that hole in her back last week, along with a limp, so not sure if that is new. I believe it may have come from contact they had with the N'was. I sure hope it isn't from the Kambulas, but I feel safe to say I doubt it is from Khanya, as he was not showing signs of aggression when they were hanging out.
3 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

3 users Like afortich's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

Cedric did mention that he thought Chela chose her den site poorly.  Hence, the main reason they were killed so soon after being born.  Yes, the BDMs were not around every close, however it's not the main reason her cubs didn't make it.  They could have lasted longer with a very good choice of a den site.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Sad news from Northetn Sabi Sands.

One of the Pregnant Nkuhuma Lionesses has been killed.

Details are still sketchy. But remains of a her were seen being consumed by hyenas.

Suspicion is she might have been found giving birth.

I’m unclear on which female.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

(04-08-2024, 05:14 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Sad news from Northern Sabi Sands.  

One of the Pregnant Nkuhuma Lionesses has been killed.  

Details are still sketchy.    But remains of a her were seen being consumed by hyenas.  

Suspicion is she might have been found giving birth.  

I’m unclear on which female.

That's crushing.  Did I read somewhere that there is now an overpopulation of Hyena's?  I really dislike Hyena's.
3 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Ever since Mohawk and blondie tried to take the kambula pride from the Birminghams the nkuhuma pride has suffered so much ridgenose and amber eyes forced to leave the pride to protect the subadults now they both have been killed purple eye passed away I believe it was 7 2021 subadults now only 4 remain and now I assume an nkuhuma Birmingham daughter has been killed unless it was one of amber eyes dsughters So very sad
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post