There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Rui Ferreira Offline

(08-31-2024, 04:00 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I am so nervous for this group right now.

Of course they are already trying to climb trees, their mother is half leopard after all
I´m very nervous about them too, I rarely if ever "connect" with any cubs becuase I know its very difficult for them to reach adulthood but these ones seem full of personality always tormenting mom, and thats makes it harder
2 users Like Rui Ferreira's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(08-31-2024, 01:21 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Southern Pride:

How awesome is that?! Wonderful to see them all, they look fantastic, and what an amazing job the eldest lioness has done rebuilding the pride!
2 users Like BA0701's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(08-31-2024, 02:51 PM)Rui Ferreira Wrote:
(08-31-2024, 04:00 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I am so nervous for this group right now.

Of course they are already trying to climb trees, their mother is half leopard after all
I´m very nervous about them too, I rarely if ever "connect" with any cubs becuase I know its very difficult for them to reach adulthood but these ones seem full of personality always tormenting mom, and thats makes it harder

The real danger to me is that she is a solo lioness, and at some point, she's going to be put to the decision of her life or theirs's, and we know how that story always ends.
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-31-2024, 10:04 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: The real danger to me is that she is a solo lioness, and at some point, she's going to be put to the decision of her life or theirs's, and we know how that story always ends.

We will see, SP lioness also had 3 cubs, she managed to rise 2 of them.

Her mother, Tsalala Queen, also had 3 cubs, 2 where killed by leopard, only this female survived.

Maybe all 3 cubs will not make it, but 1 or 2 have a chance.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

8 users Like NLAL11's post

United States Gajaw Offline
New Join

You never know with lion dynamics!  That is why we follow them -  there is triumph and Tragedy!  I know one thing The Tsalala pride cannot continue without a new generation and it is wonderful thing!!  Besides her grandmother raised 4 subs to adulthood.  She is Smart!  Who would have believed we would be at a point where it might be possible for the tsallala pride to be reborn - that in itself is fantastic.  She young enough to do it all over again as well.  

Lets here it for the Southern pride -  much rather see Triumph than Tragedy!!
2 users Like Gajaw's post

KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-02-2024, 06:02 PM by KM600 )

Khanya and NK back in the West, I think them chasing Tumbela and Mhangenis gave them enough confidence to mark territory. They definitely aren’t acting as terriorial males yet but I’m guessing they’re waiting for a response from all these displays, obviously no response from the PCMs wouldn’t be ideal for Mhangenis and just the West in general. Savanna IG also mentioned their ‘very close bond.’

One thing I’ve noticed, and I’ve said this before in here, but NK is always the one trailing Khanya. I think in past situations, NK always wants to go off on his own and his companions are either forced to follow him or he just separates for good, as seen with Tumbela, both Talamatis and Skorro YM. It does seem like he prefers Khanyas company. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

8 users Like KM600's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

Will NK run if confronted?

KM600 Offline

(09-02-2024, 05:59 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Will NK run if confronted?

Depends on who they bump into, if it’s the PCMs they are both running 100%. Their reaction to other males will be the final thing I need to see in order to know whether this companionship is temporary or permanent.
2 users Like KM600's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Looks like same exact story as with Skorro Orpen and Skorro Tumbela.

They hang for a while, bonding -> start to become confident -> start roaring and scent marking -> get chased and separated by territotial males.

PCMs are recently hanging more in WS, so idk how can this end well for NK/Talamati.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Lion1 Offline

8 users Like Lion1's post

KM600 Offline

(09-02-2024, 06:26 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Looks like same exact story as with Skorro Orpen and Skorro Tumbela.

They hang for a while, bonding -> start to become confident -> start roaring and scent marking -> get chased and separated by territotial males.

PCMs are recently hanging more in WS, so idk how can this end well for NK/Talamati.

While I agree that it’s hard to see them establish themselves if PCMs don’t focus solely on the North, and they certainly aren’t right now, I think we should all view this as something positive. They can’t become dominant, pride males without testing boundaries of territories and no matter how this ends up, I’m very glad we’re seeing this behaviour from them.
2 users Like KM600's post

Rui Ferreira Offline

(09-02-2024, 07:24 PM)Lion1 Wrote:

Khanya is getting pretty big 
Btw is Nkuhuma male pregnant or something ? Thats atleast a litter of 8 inside him wow
2 users Like Rui Ferreira's post

Australia Horizon Offline

(09-02-2024, 06:26 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: start roaring and scent marking -> get chased and separated by territotial males.

For this reason, roaring and scent marking form an untested coalition shouldn’t be taken seriously.
2 users Like Horizon's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

We see how it goes. Nym and a partner beat the PCmales before and lost with another partner. So it can go any direction really. 

Most likely this whole acting territorial thing is just unwarranted Hype and they leave on their own without any incidents though