There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Tumbela Coalition

Romania Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-17-2024, 05:13 AM by Cath2020 )

(07-16-2024, 03:41 AM)Rui Ferreira Wrote:
(07-16-2024, 02:26 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Very sad to see the Tumbela Male not flourishing after the death of his partners.  He almost 'gave up' to some extent, choosing to stay in territory already taken over by other males and not moving forward.  I was hoping that he'd start to live again after the death of Blondie Tumbela...or at least move on after a few months.  However, it's been years now, and it's safe to say that he has now almost deteriorated to the point of no return.  He would need a miracle to turn around his state of health.

I wouldn´t count him out yet, he if gets a good coalition partner and move on to a place without dominant males maybe he can continue his story that so far has been quite sad but hey he is not an unsuccessful lion at all, his two girls are almost at an age where they´ll start to breed and keep his legacy alive, I do hope he can recover from this, I might be wrong on this but isnt he sired by Sizanani? If it is maybe beating the odds might be in his blood aswell lol

He's most likely Skorro Thandi Impi's son based on sheer looks.... And based on the timeline of his mating with the now deceased Othawa Lionesses, his partners also most likely sired the 2 surviving females since they are from the lioness that mated with the coalition almost right away after they took over the pride.  He was not the dominant one and mated less frequently with Sassy (the younger of the adult lionesses) than did Scar Eye and even Blondie Tumbela.  The darker sub looks just like Scar Eye when he was a sub.  The other one is lighter and her snout/shape of the face is much more like the lankier Blondie Tumbela.  Of course, no DNA was done, but Skorro Jr. is like their father, much like HB was the father of Gingerella and her brothers (though probably not biologically, as his partner Ginger mated more frequently with their mother, and they favor him, too).  

In fact, I suspect he has some idea they are more likely his partners' daughters because lions know with which lionesses they mated the most frequently vs. how often their brothers do, and we see he still acts paternally and used to look over them in the past more often.  He obviously misses his previous partners and they are his last link to them, but unfortunately, he is not helping his own bloodline.  His paternal half-brother Ncile will likely be more successful personally if he and Mandevu can sire cubs soon.  These lions are the only sons of Skorro Thandi Impi that will continue his bloodline.
2 users Like Cath2020's post

Rui Ferreira Offline

(07-17-2024, 05:12 AM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(07-16-2024, 03:41 AM)Rui Ferreira Wrote:
(07-16-2024, 02:26 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Very sad to see the Tumbela Male not flourishing after the death of his partners.  He almost 'gave up' to some extent, choosing to stay in territory already taken over by other males and not moving forward.  I was hoping that he'd start to live again after the death of Blondie Tumbela...or at least move on after a few months.  However, it's been years now, and it's safe to say that he has now almost deteriorated to the point of no return.  He would need a miracle to turn around his state of health.

I wouldn´t count him out yet, he if gets a good coalition partner and move on to a place without dominant males maybe he can continue his story that so far has been quite sad but hey he is not an unsuccessful lion at all, his two girls are almost at an age where they´ll start to breed and keep his legacy alive, I do hope he can recover from this, I might be wrong on this but isnt he sired by Sizanani? If it is maybe beating the odds might be in his blood aswell lol

He's most likely Skorro Thandi Impi's son based on sheer looks.... And based on the timeline of his mating with the now deceased Othawa Lionesses, his partners also most likely sired the 2 surviving females since they are from the lioness that mated with the coalition almost right away after they took over the pride.  He was not the dominant one and mated less frequently with Sassy (the younger of the adult lionesses) than did Scar Eye and even Blondie Tumbela.  The darker sub looks just like Scar Eye when he was a sub.  The other one is lighter and her snout/shape of the face is much more like the lankier Blondie Tumbela.  Of course, no DNA was done, but Skorro Jr. is like their father, much like HB was the father of Gingerella and her brothers (though probably not biologically, as his partner Ginger mated more frequently with their mother, and they favor him, too).  

In fact, I suspect he has some idea they are more likely his partners' daughters because lions know with which lionesses they mated the most frequently vs. how often their brothers do, and we see he still acts paternally and used to look over them in the past more often.  He obviously misses his previous partners and they are his last link to them, but unfortunately, he is not helping his own bloodline.  His paternal half-brother Ncile will likely be more successful personally if he and Mandevu can sire cubs soon.  These lions are the only sons of Skorro Thandi Impi that will continue his bloodline.

First Thank you for your comment I love these details, Im sorry I just couldn´t understand something. When you say " the only sons of Skorro Thandi Impi that will continue his bloodline" you are referring only to male lions right? because at this point every Ottawa cub will be descendant of him, no?
1 user Likes Rui Ferreira's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-18-2024, 02:29 AM by Cath2020 )

My point from the above post was that I did not think those Othawa Subs are his own, biologically speaking, as I believe they are sired by his partners.  In that case, they descend from Sizanani's bloodline, not his partner's, Skorro.  You understand?  They were successful, unrelated partners, the Thandi Impi Coalition.  Unfortunately, their sons have not been as much so up to this time.  Sizanani sons have been more "lucky" in the Tumbela Coalition, but it's a mixed bag type of luck, since those sons did not live out their full potential, but may have indeed sired the last two Othawa Lionesses.  The sons of Skorro Thandi Impi OVERALL has more success than Sizanani's though, since they probably sired at least a couple in the Mbiri Pride, plus more on the way in the Skorro Pride.  These sons, the Tintswalo Males, got off to a late start, finally leaving their maternal pride and potentially increasing their bloodline before it's too late.

Rui Ferreira Offline

(07-18-2024, 02:29 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: My point from the above post was that I did not think those Othawa Subs are his own, biologically speaking, as I believe they are sired by his partners.  In that case, they descend from Sizanani's bloodline, not his partner's, Skorro.  You understand?  They were successful, unrelated partners, the Thandi Impi Coalition.  Unfortunately, their sons have not been as much so up to this time.  Sizanani sons have been more "lucky" in the Tumbela Coalition, but it's a mixed bag type of luck, since those sons did not live out their full potential, but may have indeed sired the last two Othawa Lionesses.  The sons of Skorro Thandi Impi OVERALL has more success than Sizanani's though, since they probably sired at least a couple in the Mbiri Pride, plus more on the way in the Skorro Pride.  These sons, the Tintswalo Males, got off to a late start, finally leaving their maternal pride and potentially increasing their bloodline before it's too late.

Oh my bad, yes I got it this time , I assumed the other Tumbelas were also sired by Skorro and not Sizanani, got everything cleared now thank you and apologies
2 users Like Rui Ferreira's post

Belgium criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-27-2024, 03:42 PM by criollo2mil )

The Tumbela remains persistent in accompanying the Mangheni

9 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-27-2024, 04:19 PM by T_Ferguson )

For those that can't view Instagram.  I assume this is the same picture criollo posted

7 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Contributor

A different angle of Tumbela a the kill and what looks like maybe #10 quite unbothered by him

7 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-27-2024, 09:48 PM by afortich )

Wow. I hope Skorro Jr. does not attack the cubs, it seems that they trust him.

6 users Like afortich's post

Contributor

Tumbela still trailing the Mangheni

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like criollo2mil's post

Contributor

‘It’s great to see Tumbela male recovering so well after his condition worsened in recent weeks during his unsuccessful attempt to assert dominance over certain areas of Sabi Sands, which resulted in severe injuries. He has since overcome these challenges and now in good condition, following the Mhangeni pride, which allows him to stay with them and feed for free.

?Inyati, South Africa
Photographer Credit:- @omegagodiPride

9 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(08-02-2024, 06:36 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: ‘It’s great to see Tumbela male recovering so well after his condition worsened in recent weeks during his unsuccessful attempt to assert dominance over certain areas of Sabi Sands, which resulted in severe injuries. He has since overcome these challenges and now in good condition, following the Mhangeni pride, which allows him to stay with them and feed for free.

?Inyati, South Africa
Photographer Credit:- @omegagodiPride

He is moving really well, though you can still see that his hip gives him some grief, likely from that cyst (which is my guess at what that is). It is times like this that I wish they did veterinary intervention in SS. While not life threatening (though it could be if it slowed him down during an attempt to escape), draining that thing would provide him with a ton of relief, and allow him to live his best life.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

United States Friarfan619 Offline

Khanya and nym are said to be in singita hoping he joins these2. I don't remember if Khanya met tumbela??
2 users Like Friarfan619's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

It probably happened off camera shortly after they joined forces.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-03-2024, 01:34 AM by criollo2mil )

(08-02-2024, 09:20 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Khanya and nym are said to be in singita hoping he joins these2. I don't remember if Khanya met tumbela??

Reports from a western sector stated all three (Tumbela, Nkuhuma and Talamati) had actually spend a few days together.  This was when only Tumbela and Nkuhuma left Talamati and went south and got Tumbela beat up.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(08-03-2024, 01:34 AM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(08-02-2024, 09:20 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Khanya and nym are said to be in singita hoping he joins these2. I don't remember if Khanya met tumbela??

Reports from a western sector stated all three (Tumbela, Nkuhuma and Talamati) had actually spend a few days together.  This was when only Tumbela and Nkuhuma left Talamati and went south and got Tumbela beat up.

Maybe he can rejoin them, if so, it is way too early for predictions, heck it is doubtful they'd even stay together as a trio, but if they did, things in Central and Western SS would be really interesting, at the least.
4 users Like BA0701's post