There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Tumbela Coalition

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its probably more a mitchmatch of character.

Nym is the type of guy that runs accross the reserve meeting lions and seeking one night stands. Skorro is more the homely guy that prefers to stay in one place and avoids others as much as possible. 
So its more surprising that it lasted as long as it did. Even if the two are still trying, Khanya may have not accepted Skorro.

For Skorro bullying the Mangheni out of meals is also a much safer bet than nomadhood.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-07-2024, 10:26 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Its probably more a mitchmatch of character.

Nym is the type of guy that runs accross the reserve meeting lions and seeking one night stands. Skorro is more the homely guy that prefers to stay in one place and avoids others as much as possible. 
So its more surprising that it lasted as long as it did. Even if the two are still trying, Khanya may have not accepted Skorro.

For Skorro bullying the Mangheni out of meals is also a much safer bet than nomadhood.

In his current condition, I don't know that I can see Skorro Jr doing any bullying, when it comes to these particular girls, who are historically known as an aggressive group. Have you seen the size of Tinya recently? She rivals any of the other big females around, even K6, I don't know if she is bigger than any of the other big girls, but she is a massive lioness. She might be able to push him back herself, in his current state.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-07-2024, 11:37 PM by Duco Ndona )

In the end of the day he is stull an adult male lion. If the Mangheni were able to just chase him off, they would have already.

Belgium criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-10-2024, 04:23 PM by criollo2mil )

Credit:  Dulini

Attached Files Image(s)

9 users Like criollo2mil's post

Contributor

Not sure when taken

3 users Like criollo2mil's post

Super Moderator

(07-11-2024, 08:23 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Not sure when taken

What a great shot, and always such a beautiful male lion!
2 users Like BA0701's post

Contributor

The Last Tumbela

Singita

Credit: Steve Morrell

Posted: 11th July 2024

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like criollo2mil's post

Contributor

Don’t get any crazy ideas please.

“ Lions roar this morning from our lodge let us straight into the ximungwhe females with their two cubs and not far from them the Tumbela male was trailing behind them very fortunately the two adults made him quickly aware he’s not welcome close to the cubs. He’s lucky because the two Plains Camp Males are slowly on their way to rejoin the females.”

6 users Like criollo2mil's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-13-2024, 07:23 PM by criollo2mil )

More of Tumbela this morning.  

Credit: Mohamed

Attached Files Image(s)

3 users Like criollo2mil's post

Super Moderator

(07-13-2024, 07:22 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: More of Tumbela this morning.  

I am not sure what that huge lump with a hole in it is, on his back hip, but it does cause me concern.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Contributor

This looks a bit more acute though. Perhaps a pretty big abscess?
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-14-2024, 05:05 AM by GhostCatP-22 )

(07-13-2024, 07:40 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(07-13-2024, 07:22 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: More of Tumbela this morning.  

I am not sure what that huge lump with a hole in it is, on his back hip, but it does cause me concern.
I think it’s his hip joint showing since he doesn’t have a lot of muscle. The hair then gets rubbed off. He doesn’t seem to hunt for hisself much and he scavenges/steals from lionesses. He needs to start taking better care. I think that south sabi sojourn with Nym was really hard on his hip and leg joints.
2 users Like GhostCatP-22's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

Very sad to see the Tumbela Male not flourishing after the death of his partners.  He almost 'gave up' to some extent, choosing to stay in territory already taken over by other males and not moving forward.  I was hoping that he'd start to live again after the death of Blondie Tumbela...or at least move on after a few months.  However, it's been years now, and it's safe to say that he has now almost deteriorated to the point of no return.  He would need a miracle to turn around his state of health.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Rui Ferreira Offline

(07-16-2024, 02:26 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Very sad to see the Tumbela Male not flourishing after the death of his partners.  He almost 'gave up' to some extent, choosing to stay in territory already taken over by other males and not moving forward.  I was hoping that he'd start to live again after the death of Blondie Tumbela...or at least move on after a few months.  However, it's been years now, and it's safe to say that he has now almost deteriorated to the point of no return.  He would need a miracle to turn around his state of health.

I wouldn´t count him out yet, he if gets a good coalition partner and move on to a place without dominant males maybe he can continue his story that so far has been quite sad but hey he is not an unsuccessful lion at all, his two girls are almost at an age where they´ll start to breed and keep his legacy alive, I do hope he can recover from this, I might be wrong on this but isnt he sired by Sizanani? If it is maybe beating the odds might be in his blood aswell lol
4 users Like Rui Ferreira's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-16-2024, 04:16 AM by Rabubi )

(07-16-2024, 03:41 AM)Rui Ferreira Wrote:
(07-16-2024, 02:26 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Very sad to see the Tumbela Male not flourishing after the death of his partners.  He almost 'gave up' to some extent, choosing to stay in territory already taken over by other males and not moving forward.  I was hoping that he'd start to live again after the death of Blondie Tumbela...or at least move on after a few months.  However, it's been years now, and it's safe to say that he has now almost deteriorated to the point of no return.  He would need a miracle to turn around his state of health.

I wouldn´t count him out yet, he if gets a good coalition partner and move on to a place without dominant males maybe he can continue his story that so far has been quite sad but hey he is not an unsuccessful lion at all, his two girls are almost at an age where they´ll start to breed and keep his legacy alive, I do hope he can recover from this, I might be wrong on this but isnt he sired by Sizanani? If it is maybe beating the odds might be in his blood aswell lol
He's most likely (if not definitely) sired by the Skorro male (Sizanani's partner), hence his name being Skorro Jr.

He truly has seen far better days. Much like the BDMs and the Nkuhuma male, I think he'll stand a better chance of bouncing back if he moves on elsewhere.
2 users Like Rabubi's post