There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(06-14-2024, 05:32 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(06-14-2024, 04:57 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote:
" target="_blank" class="post_link">

I guess this question (for clarity) is for mods or @BA0701 .   Will this be for “Avoca Pride” males and lineage or the “Avoca Males (N/S/) and their lineage.   Cause it’s now a good question as to where does AvocaYM tracking is best to go.  

He’s from Avoca but if different generation.

I have been treating him as a “Timbavati lion.
Yeah, this thread is for the N/S Avoca's and their sons. The young Avoca Male should remain as we'd treat any nomadic male, he'll get posted in the thread for wherever he shows up, until he becomes territorial/dominant, then we can see if he gets updates often enough to get his own thread.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline

1/3 Nkuhuma young male in Kruger, by @drhamzawala

*This image is copyright of its original author

Another young male posted by the same author, i can't tell for sure if thats another Nkuhuma boy or not, hopefully someone can. 

Earlier today, 1/3 Nkuhuma young male in Kruger with a lioness
S36, 4.8km NorthWest of Jones Dam road - Near Skukuza
by CornelisBotha

7 users Like Ngonya's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(06-18-2024, 01:23 AM)Ngonya Wrote: 1/3 Nkuhuma young male in Kruger, by @drhamzawala

Another young male posted by the same author, i can't tell for sure if thats another Nkuhuma boy or not, hopefully someone can. 

Earlier today, 1/3 Nkuhuma young male in Kruger with a lioness
S36, 4.8km NorthWest of Jones Dam road - Near Skukuza
by CornelisBotha

First and last photo look like Chelas son. That mane development on the second lion makes sense for it to be the surviving twin and just his all round face looks familiar but I can’t confirm.

Ttimemarti Offline

I think all 3 are the same male
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

( This post was last modified: 06-18-2024, 05:17 PM by KM600 )

(06-18-2024, 04:12 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: I think all 3 are the same male

Although it’s hard to see, if u zoom in on the second lion he doesn’t seem to have a clipped ear like the other one. Also looks to have a different mane.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(06-18-2024, 05:16 PM)KM600 Wrote:
(06-18-2024, 04:12 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: I think all 3 are the same male

Although it’s hard to see, if u zoom in on the second lion he doesn’t seem to have a clipped ear like the other one. Also looks to have a different mane.

Just looking at the nose it looks like the same lion out of l of the nkuhuma boys chelas son is the only one that has that weird shaped nose plus I have been purples eyes son in awhile so I might be him but I think it’s the same lion

Brazil Ngonya Offline

Once again, two of the Nkuhuma boys with a old Mantmhale lioness, by @ashleyburgess_travelagent

another shot on one of the young males, by @thibaut_mais_sans_l

8 users Like Ngonya's post

(06-19-2024, 09:17 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Once again, two of the Nkuhuma boys with a old Mantmhale lioness, by @ashleyburgess_travelagent

another shot on one of the young males, by @thibaut_mais_sans_l

I think Chelas boy will always be my favourite Nkuhuma boy but Ridge Nose son is just as impressive too. Avocas really have some great genes.
6 users Like KM600's post

( This post was last modified: 06-20-2024, 12:05 AM by KM600 )

Sand River Pride youngsters - 3 males + 1 female. Quite a few males are leaving their natal pride with their sisters around Sabi Sands, u have these lot and the new S65 males on top of the obvious one being the Kambulas. Hopefully these females eventually go back as they prolly still have time to be reaccepted as opposed to the difficulties the Kambula female will face. 

5 users Like KM600's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Yeah the dominant males aren’t able to hang onto their prides long enough for their offspring to have a greater chance of survival 3 years old is good but if they run up on an older coalition it will not be good so when the males aren’t able to hang onto their territory even the young females are forced to leave with their brothers and many don’t make it. That’s what I’ve seen happen more recently

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-19-2024, 09:17 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Once again, two of the Nkuhuma boys with a old Mantmhale lioness, by

Still nothing on 3rd male?
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Mohawk spotted with Khanya. Funny to me how Khanya split off from the Nkuhumas to follow buffalo and along the way ended up bumping into Mohawk. These boys love their buffalo.

7 users Like KM600's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Online

(06-23-2024, 07:22 PM)KM600 Wrote: Mohawk spotted with Khanya. Funny to me how Khanya split off from the Nkuhumas to follow buffalo and along the way ended up bumping into Mohawk. These boys love their buffalo.

I think Mohawk just didn’t fully recognize Khanya at first. Khanya was doing little contact calls so he didn’t surprise Mohawk.
Hopefully the boys can take down a Buffalo together.
So happy the 2 are safe and really strong and muscular.
4 users Like GhostCatP-22's post

( This post was last modified: 06-23-2024, 08:12 PM by KM600 )

(06-23-2024, 07:40 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:
(06-23-2024, 07:22 PM)KM600 Wrote: Mohawk spotted with Khanya. Funny to me how Khanya split off from the Nkuhumas to follow buffalo and along the way ended up bumping into Mohawk. These boys love their buffalo.

I think Mohawk just didn’t fully recognize Khanya at first. Khanya was doing little contact calls so he didn’t surprise Mohawk.

They both look in good shape so they may have already hunted together, wouldn’t surprise me the slightest. I always find it such a shame that we never see the first interactions between these lions, this is obviously me assuming this isn’t their first interaction because of how they reacted to the presence of one another.
2 users Like KM600's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 06-23-2024, 11:07 PM by BA0701 )

(06-23-2024, 08:11 PM)KM600 Wrote:
(06-23-2024, 07:40 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:

They both look in good shape so they may have already hunted together, wouldn’t surprise me the slightest. I always find it such a shame that we never see the first interactions between these lions, this is obviously me assuming this isn’t their first interaction because of how they reacted to the presence of one another.

While we know they have been in each others presence in the past, we have no idea how well lion's memories work. However, we may be witnessing their first interaction in this regard, as you can see Mohawk baring his teeth, a little, possibly hissing (or the lion equivalent) as we we see other cats do sometimes, as Khanya approaches him. He isn't growling or roaring, so perhaps they have been in one another's company for a period of time already, but he is clearly not totally at ease either.
2 users Like BA0701's post