There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
N'waswitshaka males

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(06-16-2024, 04:35 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(06-16-2024, 03:03 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-15-2024, 10:29 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Well, for all those that talk about the size of these guys.  K6 and Eronji

Yea K6 is big, but this is a bit of camera angle and their position aswell.

When walking towards camera, K6 is clearly closer to the camera and on higher ground compared to OE (look their pawn height position), so she appears bigger then she actually is. 

If they would both be on same distance from camera and on same ground lvl, size diff wouldnt be that noticable.

She's still a big girl.  It's rare for a lioness to be that close in size to a dominant male, and she's been seen alongside almost all of them in Sabi, and the same comparisons fly every single time.  At some point we have to say that camera angle is one thing, but she is a VERY big lioness.  I wonder if her size and her infertility are somehow related.

There was a maned lioness in Botswana, if memory serves her name was Mamariri, and she was exceptionally large. I think there was more than one, in different prides, and they were all in the Delta. She was really big, muscular, and even her roar was deep like a male's, but she was treated like a female by her pride. I don't recall if she was infertile or not, though.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

I dont think her being infertile has anything to do with her size.

Some of her Mhangeni mothers where huge, Tinya is huge, her sisters where/are huge.

Its just genes.

Same as we have big and small males, we have big and small females.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(06-16-2024, 06:59 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(06-16-2024, 04:35 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(06-16-2024, 03:03 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-15-2024, 10:29 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Well, for all those that talk about the size of these guys.  K6 and Eronji

Yea K6 is big, but this is a bit of camera angle and their position aswell.

When walking towards camera, K6 is clearly closer to the camera and on higher ground compared to OE (look their pawn height position), so she appears bigger then she actually is. 

If they would both be on same distance from camera and on same ground lvl, size diff wouldnt be that noticable.

She's still a big girl.  It's rare for a lioness to be that close in size to a dominant male, and she's been seen alongside almost all of them in Sabi, and the same comparisons fly every single time.  At some point we have to say that camera angle is one thing, but she is a VERY big lioness.  I wonder if her size and her infertility are somehow related.

There was a maned lioness in Botswana, if memory serves her name was Mamariri, and she was exceptionally large. I think there was more than one, in different prides, and they were all in the Delta. She was really big, muscular, and even her roar was deep like a male's, but she was treated like a female by her pride. I don't recall if she was infertile or not, though.

I know her and she was infertile. A guide told me that.
1 user Likes lionuk's post

RookiePundit Offline

IIRC inn case of ligers, their size is being attributed to that, them being hybrids, they don't inherit some sort of a grow inhibitor that is normally passed on by lionesses. Perhaps that's something that doesn't work properly (fully) in case of K6, might be due to a hormonal issue, might be not.
3 users Like RookiePundit's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-17-2024, 06:43 PM by BA0701 )

This is an old-ish video but it's really interesting seeing adult males being this playful.

4 users Like Rabubi's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(06-17-2024, 07:35 AM)Rabubi Wrote: This is an old-ish video but it's really interesting seeing adult males being this playful.

Fixed it for you. That is a YT shorts video, which requires a special procedure to get embedded. The procedure is outlined here:

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-embeddi...-your-post
2 users Like BA0701's post

(06-17-2024, 06:44 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(06-17-2024, 07:35 AM)Rabubi Wrote: This is an old-ish video but it's really interesting seeing adult males being this playful.

Fixed it for you. That is a YT shorts video, which requires a special procedure to get embedded. The procedure is outlined here:

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-embeddi...-your-post
I was wondering why it wouldn't play.

Many thanks for the assistance and information my friend
2 users Like Rabubi's post

3 users Like Rabubi's post