There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

NLAL11 Offline

(11-15-2023, 01:08 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(11-14-2023, 11:52 PM)afortich Wrote: Summary showing the Southern Avoca, Ximhungwe cubs, Talamati DM, Tsalala girl, Talamati Breakway, Update on S8.

Is that a golf course in Skukuza? Sorry, there's a pride lying on the 8th fairway, play through, that is crazy! Then again, I grew up in the swamps of FL, and gators are rather common on the courses down there, I guess having grown up around them I have never viewed gators to be as menacing as lions.

That's exactly what I thought when watching it, looked very open and well-kept. I've heard of these gator golf enthusiasts, at least with them you could run in zig zig and you should be alright. The only thing lying on the golf courses in Scotland are cows and drunk people.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

BA0701 Online
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2023, 01:36 AM by BA0701 )

(11-15-2023, 01:20 AM)NLAL11 Wrote:
(11-14-2023, 11:52 PM)afortich Wrote: Summary showing the Southern Avoca, Ximhungwe cubs, Talamati DM, Tsalala girl, Talamati Breakway, Update on S8.

Is that a golf course in Skukuza? Sorry, there's a pride lying on the 8th fairway, play through, that is crazy! Then again, I grew up in the swamps of FL, and gators are rather common on the courses down there, I guess having grown up around them I have never viewed gators to be as menacing as lions.

That's exactly what I thought when watching it, looked very open and well-kept. I've heard of these gator golf enthusiasts, at least with them you could run in zig zig and you should be alright. The only thing lying on the golf courses in Scotland are cows and drunk people.

LOL, maybe that is how the game got invented there to begin with, because I certainly never would have thought of something like it while sober. We have the same, cows and drunk people in the swamps and marshes, plus you can add mosquitoes the size of buzzards. When there are gators on the course, people normally do just play through. Mostly the gators will just be sunning themselves, I have never seen them harass anyone, even when you walk by them within a couple of feet, unless people have been feeding them, not sure the same could be said for the lions..

The whole zigzag thing is an urban myth, no truth to it, you'll just make yourself tired quicker. Besides, gators, while quick, aren't that fast and they don't have a ton of stamina on land, so unless you're exceptionally slow, you should be just fine. In the water is a whole different story, you will 100% lose the race there.
3 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(11-15-2023, 01:33 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

The whole zigzag thing is an urban myth, no truth to it, you'll just make yourself tired quicker. Besides, gators, while quick, aren't that fast and they don't have a ton of stamina on land, so unless you're exceptionally slow, you should be just fine. In the water is a whole different story, you will 100% lose the race there.

Good to know this. Now I know how to react if bump into a gator Lol
3 users Like afortich's post

NLAL11 Offline

(11-15-2023, 01:33 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

LOL, maybe that is how the game got invented there to begin with, because I certainly never would have thought of something like it while sober. We have the same, cows and drunk people in the swamps and marshes, plus you can add mosquitoes the size of buzzards. When there are gators on the course, people normally do just play through. Mostly the gators will just be sunning themselves, I have never seen them harass anyone, even when you walk by them within a couple of feet, unless people have been feeding them, not sure the same could be said for the lions..

Even so, I'd probably make sure to go play early in the morning if I was a golfer and in Florida, that way they haven't 'warmed up' yet.

Good to know it's an urban myth! Pretty essential survival information. Don't worry, I have no intention of racing gators in the water.
3 users Like NLAL11's post

Ngonya Offline

Ximhungwe lioness and her little son. 
The only daughter of the Selati coalition who survived the Majingilane in the Western Sabi Sand, now protects her only cub sired by the Plains Camp males.
Hopefully this little one prospers and reaches maturity becoming an impressive male just like his fathers and grandfathers....
7 users Like Ngonya's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2023, 09:59 PM by afortich )

Gingeralla with the 3 cubs

8 users Like afortich's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

10 users Like Tonpa's post

Ngonya Offline

(11-15-2023, 03:39 AM)afortich Wrote: Gingeralla with her 3 cubs
Gingerella only has 2 cubs. The third is from Ximhungwe
5 users Like Ngonya's post

BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(11-15-2023, 03:44 AM)Tonpa Wrote:

Manghenis?
4 users Like BA0701's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(11-15-2023, 04:51 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(11-15-2023, 03:44 AM)Tonpa Wrote:

Manghenis?

I think so yeah
4 users Like Tonpa's post

NLAL11 Offline

Ndzengas/N'waswitshakas and Kambulas on that iconic bridge.

7 users Like NLAL11's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

Currently in KNP, Gijimas were seen recently with Styx females so he might be by himself.

5 users Like KM600's post

South Africa Wyld@Heart Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2023, 08:44 PM by Wyld@Heart )

(11-15-2023, 01:08 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Is that a golf course in Skukuza? Sorry, there's a pride lying on the 8th fairway, play through, that is crazy! Then again, I grew up in the swamps of FL, and gators are rather common on the courses down there, I guess having grown up around them I have never viewed gators to be as menacing as lions.

There is indeed a golf course just outside the camp main and unfenced. There is footage around of kills made on the course. Interesting you should mention gators in that context. Not all that long ago, 4 years I think, a golfer was taken by a Nile croc on the golf course albeit it after the round.

From what I gather they'd finished and were standing around doing who knows what and... ja. Will see if I can get a link

Edit: Updated with the link

https://www.news24.com/news24/pics-golf-...r-20141204
4 users Like Wyld@Heart's post

BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(11-15-2023, 08:40 PM)Wyld@Heart Wrote:
(11-15-2023, 01:08 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Is that a golf course in Skukuza? Sorry, there's a pride lying on the 8th fairway, play through, that is crazy! Then again, I grew up in the swamps of FL, and gators are rather common on the courses down there, I guess having grown up around them I have never viewed gators to be as menacing as lions.

There is indeed a golf course just outside the camp main and unfenced. There is footage around of kills made on the course. Interesting you should mention gators in that context. Not all that long ago, 4 years I think, a golfer was taken by a Nile croc on the golf course albeit it after the round.

From what I gather they'd finished and were standing around doing who knows what and... ja. Will see if I can get a link

Edit: Updated with the link

https://www.news24.com/news24/pics-golf-...r-20141204

That is crazy! There was a guy in FL, not too long ago, who made a living retrieving golf balls from the ponds around golf courses, and he was killed the same way. I just can't imagine playing a round on the course, and there lies a pride of lions on the green, it seems so crazy to me. Whereas gators are practically a daily occurrence where I'm from, and I am sure there are people, who didn't grow up around gators, who feel the same way about them.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

@Wyld@Heart @BA0701 

Here is Sand River pride enjoying golf at Skukuza in late 2019:

*This image is copyright of its original author

8 users Like Tr1x24's post