There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Mbiris currently without full belly:

*This image is copyright of its original author

PCM currently without full belly:

For me, if anything, Mbiris look physically stronger.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

NLAL11 Offline

(03-25-2024, 08:47 AM)Ngonya Wrote: NOT FOR SENSITIVE VIEWERS
New videos of the fight of the Mbiris killing Guernsey male

That video on the 2nd slide is really quite disturbing. Couldn't watch any more.

This was the ultimate assertion of dominance. Feeling really sorry for the Guernsey male.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

5 users Like Potato's post

Ngonya Offline

(03-26-2024, 02:32 AM)Potato Wrote:

posted already

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM by Tr1x24 )

(03-26-2024, 02:06 AM)Mapokser Wrote: For me, if anything, Mbiris look physically stronger.

Comparisons totally work like that..

I dont want to spam this thread anymore, we said it all, you think Mbiris are strongest duo in Kruger because they defeated G/A coalition of unrelated, nomadic, young and inexperienced males (especially Avoca) who where not together even for 1 year and have 0 teamplay in such situation, and i think they are not even close to that (questionable physically condition for months, Scar occasionally limping for more then a year, they are over 10 yrs of age, which definetly is a factor in longer clash) and would get beaten by stronger, prime duos in Kruger atm (which PCMs are just one of's).

Obiviously we neither can prove it, so those are just opinions.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-26-2024, 06:35 AM by Mapokser )

I never said they are the strongest because they beat G/A.

I said they are because of all their combined feats, so the only reason they wouldn't be the strongest would be due to poor physical conditions, but as long as they're fit, they're the strongest.

I also said I doubted either PCM or fit Mbiris would run and engage in a back and forth chasing match, and would rather charge at each other and fight.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

Guys, I'd ask that any further conversation on the matter be moved to PMs. Thank you!
6 users Like BA0701's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

This might sounds silly but does anyone know why did the Guernsey male's  body go all dark while being attacked? Something to do with blood?

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-26-2024, 02:40 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: I dont want to spam this thread anymore, we said it all
Yet you always try to get last word in any discusion. If you really wouldn't want to spam then you would just let go and don't continue discussion.

(03-26-2024, 02:40 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: you think Mbiris are strongest duo in Kruger because they defeated G/A
Really that is all what Mbiris have accomplished? Not an honest judging. Also one could similarly describe PC males: "you think PC males are strongest duo in Kruger because they defeated Nhenha/Nkuchuma coalition of unrelated, nomadic, old (especially Nhenha) who where not together even for 1 year and have 0 teamplay in such situation" 

(03-26-2024, 02:40 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: G/A coalition of unrelated, nomadic, young and inexperienced males (especially Avoca) who where not together even for 1 year and have 0 teamplay in such situation
You're judging them in a bad way looking at them through the prism of their loss, which is totally unfair. Mbiris being 10 years old took on coalition of healty males in their prime (if you do not want to consider 5 years old as prime then lets just agree he was very close to his prime) and absolutely destroy them. Is this testimony of how strong Mbiris are or how weak G/A are? I would say it is the first one and would say G/A could have become terrytorial, dominant males if only they would not have as strong competition as Mbiri males. 

Also another think: you keep sugesting that Tintswalo males at that point should be stronger than Mbiris but what I do not understand is that why do you assume Tintswalos would do any better against Mbiris than G/A? In what Tintswalos are any better? 
Strong bond and teamplay? G/A advantage, Ncile even got disbanded for is coalition when he got in worst shape which suggest particularly bad bond between Tintswalos as it is very rare to say at least for a lion coalition to kick out one of the members. In fact the only other such example I recall are Tumbelas. In other cases like HS Majingi or Nsuku Birmingham or Gore Ndzenga and so on the coalition partner is almost always backed up by his brothers.
Physical strength and health? probably G/A = Tintswalos
Confidance? I would say G/A = Tintswalos
2 users Like Potato's post

Hairy tummy Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-26-2024, 01:23 PM by Hairy tummy )

(03-26-2024, 10:55 AM)lionuk Wrote: This might sounds silly but does anyone know why did the Guernsey male's  body go all dark while being attacked? Something to do with blood?
Blood dirt and bruising I would imagine
2 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

MAPOZA || The King of Thornybush

An update: How is the kind doing?

We caught up with @sarahssafaris , our Guide at Thornybush Game Lodge who gave us an update on the great Mapoza.
“Mapoza is doing well. He is loosing muscle mass as he ages however he is still the dominant male of the majority of the north of the reserve.

It is clear though that he is feeling the pressure from younger competitors on the boundaries of his territory. He is aware that he is getting weaker with age.
Previously, if he caught wind of any males infringing on his territory he used to seek them out and chase them away, now he runs a mile as soon as there’s any chance of conflict.
The pride seems to be retaining their young males to help them appear stronger and to help Mapoza keep his throne for as long as possible.
Normally sexually mature males are kicked out of the pride as soon as sexual maturity hits however several young males are being allowed to stay. This is very interesting and works for a short while but I have seen this happen before and it doesn’t go well for long. The younger males hormones start to cause way to many problems in the pride and they normally get kicked out soon after.

There is an elder young male in the pride who has bonded quite nicely with Mapoza, perhaps he will stay if the others are kicked out.
It will be interesting to see!”

4 users Like Potato's post

Ttimemarti Offline

I think it’s a bit more complicated than that we all agree the young avoca male was not ready yet yes? So they could’ve caused all the trouble they wanted it just wasn’t gonna work out if they didn’t have a strong bond and who’s stronger I would assume the older coalition for now they’re older been in more fights more more prides and still alive together at what 10 in a half plains camp males are around 7 right? Even tho they have absolute dominance over the entire western sabi sands it’s still too early to say that maybe so maybe as of right now you have to give it to the older coalition the Mbiris and nhenha and nkuhuma are related.
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-26-2024, 12:10 PM)Potato Wrote: Yet you always try to get last word in any discusion. If you really wouldn't want to spam then you would just let go and don't continue discussion.

No i dont, I said my opinion and thats it, I dont want to discuss it anymore.

Romania Cath2020 Offline

I'm racking my brains as to how a male going into his prime got caught and killed the way Guernsey did.  I can understand this if he had been a sub or younger, for example.  Plenty of youngsters have been caught, picked apart, and eaten by adult males wanting to prove their superiority and dominance.  G. Male was well over 5 though, and it seems he should have outrun the other older males, or maybe he chose to stay and fight.... Hard to say.  

There's the theory of his "privileged upbringing" in a private reserve where he never had to deal with nomadic males or females intent on killing him or his siblings.... He might not have developed that savviness, that wariness, in the way he should have.  Plus, the choice of a coalition partner also put him at a disadvantage.   He never let go of putting pressure on the Mbiris with his much younger partner, cumulating months of frustration by his foes towards him.  Maybe he wrongly thought he could handle one of them on his own.  Still, he did not quite reach his prime.  Males normally do wait until they are in their full prime condition to mate and challenge for a pride, well, at least those that are solo or have weaker partners.  Underestimating your foes can be deadly, as we all clearly saw.   We see many that have to wait YEARS (closer to 10) in order to feel confident in taking a pride. Then, their patience paid off!  This can happen.  I believe he got too eager and hot-headed.  RIP dear boy.

Wonder where the young Avoca Male is now? No information at all.  Hope he didn't get caught and is still alive and healthy.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

I'm just thinking about those lions that waited and bided their time due to having less than ideal partners or being in more competitive areas or overcoming many obstacles from the time they were cubs, have triumphed in the end... The unrelated Thandi Impi Males, where Sizanani was well over 8, finally sired many offspring!  Not only that, his direct bloodline is now in multiple prides: the Nharus, Mbiris, and Othawa Prides.  Dreadlocks had to wait until probably at least 10 to mate and have offspring his coalition can protect, so that they have a better chance at surviving.  The Nk Male is 7 (turning 8 at the very end of the year) and is still solo and it's definitely not too late for him.  There is no reason to rush and chance injury/death by challenging more mature males too quickly.

And look at Jack!  He's not rushing in his reserve.  It can take a long time, years, to finally be able to be a pride male.  Be careful, grow slowly and bond with your coalition partner, and then make a strategic move.  

It's not a race to the top, like some rabid fans think.  All males are different, with different obstacles to overcome.  

Maybe the Y. Avoca Male can have a second chance and grow into a prime male.  He almost got caught and paid a heavy price.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post