There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States NCAT33 Offline

(08-25-2017, 08:01 PM)vinodkumarn Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 07:59 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: Credits to the Tsalala males FB page.

The Tsalala males have been in a fight during the night. 2 of them are injured around the hind legs and the 3:d one with the biggest mane is not with them.

CreditNo commentH.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Where are they? With whom did they pick fight.. Avocas/Mantimahles?
I would think a larger coalition, like the Machton or Mantimahles since two are severely injured. The Avocas are mating and don't appear to be scarred.
1 user Likes NCAT33's post

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

(08-26-2017, 12:11 AM)NCAT33 Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 08:01 PM)vinodkumarn Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 07:59 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: Credits to the Tsalala males FB page.

The Tsalala males have been in a fight during the night. 2 of them are injured around the hind legs and the 3:d one with the biggest mane is not with them.

CreditNo commentH.

Where are they? With whom did they pick fight.. Avocas/Mantimahles?
I would think a larger coalition, like the Machton or Mantimahles since two are severely injured. The Avocas are mating and don't appear to be scarred.

I think Mantimahles, Given the location

United States jacksonsmash Offline

(08-25-2017, 02:11 AM)vinodkumarn Wrote: Can someone identify the old Lion reported by Mala Mala above

THE LAST SELATI MALE ?

Vinod Lion Enthusiast

MALAMALA TODAY (and yesterday): August 24th. Lions: About a minute after leaving camp in the morning we came across the 3 Manyelethi males at our causeway. Roaring as they walked we followed them into the Manyelethi River and towards Stwise. They then stumbled upon the 5 cubs of the Marthly pride who scattered upon sight of the big males. The coalition then continued westwards and encountered buffalo bulls- they made a couple attempts at bringing down the formidable beasts but were unsuccessful. The Kambula pride were east of Main Camp. Down in the south we viewed the 2 Avoca males with the 2 Eyrefield lionesses. 
August 25th: the 6 lionesses of the Kambula pride were found near Campbell Koppies- several fresh scars indicate that they were involved in a squabble over night. The Manyelethi male with the scarred nose was near Rattray's Camp. The 2 Avoca males and Eyrefield lionesses were seen in western Charleston.
2 users Like vinodkumarn's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

The mantimahles haven't been reported to be in the area in like a week though, it could be the charlestons. The charlestons have the capability of inflicting that kind of damage on a young and inexperienced coalition.
2 users Like sik94's post

Vinod Lion Enthusiast

Golden Moments 
A lioness of the Kambula Pride takes a moment to enjoy the sunset and the last bit of warmth in the Sand River.

Credits: Daniel Charles Bailey

4 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Vinod Lion Enthusiast

The mane of the Young Othawa Male is getting bigger as he gets closer to being an Adult Male Lion

Credits: Leopard Hills

4 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Canada stronghold Offline

He is a big guy, too bad he doesnt have a brother or a cousin to form a coalition with. I hope he can stay in the pride until the 2 male cubs grow.
1 user Likes stronghold's post

(08-26-2017, 08:25 AM)stronghold Wrote: He is a big guy, too bad he doesnt have a brother or a cousin to form a coalition with. I hope he can stay in the pride until the 2 male cubs grow.

ARENT THE YOUNG CUBS DEAD ?

Rob the Ranger published a video of the othawa pride 4 days ago and mentioned they are now 4 months old. I think the sighting is recent.

(08-26-2017, 09:33 AM)stronghold Wrote: Rob the Ranger published a video of the othawa pride 4 days ago and mentioned they are now 4 months old. I think the sighting is recent.

ITS AN OLD VIDEO THE YOUNGEST CUBS WERE BORN LAST OCTOBER
1 user Likes jacksonsmash's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(08-25-2017, 08:01 PM)vinodkumarn Wrote: ith whom did they pick fight.. Avocas/Mantimahles?

I'm more inclined to think on the Mantimahles, based on the kind of injuries they have, something that is done with superior numbers.

I also read the Umkumbe saw a lone male, that could be the third Tsalala male, he was not injured.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

jacksonsmash you probably right, doing some a little bit of research. There are some post that the cubs wasnt present after the Othawa pride had a run in with the mhangeni pride. I guess the male sub adult will be wandering solo. Is there a problem with the bigger lioness,can she bear cubs?

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(08-26-2017, 06:34 PM)stronghold Wrote: Is there a problem with the bigger lioness,can she bear cubs?

One of them seems to be sterile. It all points towards that, since the lads mated with the two regularly, yet only one had cubs, the other one that had cubs was the one killed by hyenas last year.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE TSALALAS WERE ATTACKED - CHARLESTON? KIRKMANS? LION SANDS?   OR DID THE MAHNTIMALES FINALLY MAKE THEIR WAY INTO SABI SABI?
1 user Likes jacksonsmash's post