There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-06-2024, 05:39 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Tumbela is on the thin side currently, probably reason why NK apparently dominated him.

Source that NK dominated him?

2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ngonya Online

(05-06-2024, 06:03 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Interesting, although Nkhulus are decimated with health problems, not sure thats the right move for Tumbela/NK.
Yes. Theres a big numerical difference 

(05-06-2024, 06:11 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Dreadlocks was not seen in months, Nkhulu #6 is mostly alone in KNP, Nkhulu #4 is in really bad shape roaming around mostly alone.
I dont want to say this but Dreadlocks is likely gone unfortunately. 
Nkhulu #4 and #6 both gained alot of condition lately, but it looks like #6 is once again skinny. Meanwhile in the last sighting of #4, he was looking good with a full bellie. 

[quote pid='205126' dateline='1715001111']
(05-06-2024, 06:11 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Looks like only Snip Tail, Smudge (who also lost quite of his mane), #5 and #3 (both limping) hang together.

[/quote]
Snip Tail and Smudge are in perfect shape, even thought both Smudge and the male with the Kinky Tail (#5) lost alot of mane. Havent seen the 5th male in a week or so, but it seems like Nkhulus were trailing the Styx pride (according to a friend) and Snip Tail was with a lioness who looked quite young.
She could pretty well just be another Sand River or Plains Camp, but maybe a Styx?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-06-2024, 07:04 PM)Ngonya Wrote: She could pretty well just be another Sand River or Plains Camp, but maybe a Styx?

Sand River pride subs should be a bit older or around the same age as Styx's, maybe SR sub females started mating, as we only saw 3 SR young males as nomads lately.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-06-2024, 07:04 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Nkhulu #4 and #6 both gained alot of condition lately, but it looks like #6 is once again skinny. Meanwhile in the last sighting of #4, he was looking good with a full bellie. 

Thats the "problem" with that disease, rapid weight loss after good meal, unlike healthy males, who sustain body mass despite not eating as much.

So males sometimes look "good", but after few days without eating, they again look very skinny.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tr1x24 There's no source, reason why I said "apparently".

A few days ago they split and people were saying ( some people with credibility, some others not so much ) reason was that NK chased Tumbela off, potentially to be with a female in Skukuza.

But now it seems Tumbela is mating with a lioness in the south of SS, so tables might have turned.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

If Tumbela is also mating ( I think there's a video or photo? ) after Gijimas mated and potentially NK too, I think what's happening is that the Nkhulus are not having a strong enough presence with enough healthy brothers in Sabi Sands, so other males are taking the opportunity to either sneak in and mate with their females, or in the case of Gijimas, chase whatever Nkhulus in low numbers before stealing their lionesses.

This is already a dangerous game for Gijimas who yes are very strong but only 2, never mind to NK and Tumbela who are nomads with what a 2 months bond?

If Nkhulus arrive in 4-5 nobody will stand a chance and I doubt NK/Tumbela can deal with even 2 Nkhulus.

It also worries me that Tumbela can't run at full speed with that leg, so it wouldn't be hard to catch him.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

NLAL11 Offline

Elephant Plains Lion Sightings 29th April - 5th May

https://elephantplains.co.za/big-5-blog/...ril-5-may/

Monday,  29 April 2024
  • The two Plains Camp male lions and one Nkuhuma Lioness, mobile North from EP Flood Plains.
Tuesday, 30 April 2024
  • One Plains Camp male lion and one Nkuhuma Lioness, sleeping on the Southern side of EP Airstrip.
Wednesday, 1 May 2024 (No sightings)

Thursday, 2 May 2024
  • Three Kambula male lions and one Kambula Lioness, sleeping at the junction of Mfezi and Kudu Drift.
Friday, 3 May 2024
  • Four Kambula male lions and one Kambula Lioness, resting around Serengeti Pan.
  • Two Plains Camp Male lions, mobile South from EP deliveries Road.
[*]

Saturday, 4 May 2024
  • One Plains Camp male lion mating with one Nkuhuma lioness, on Maddash S-bends.
  • The two plains camp male lions mating with two Nkuhuma lioness, on Imboma road.
[*]

Sunday, 5 May 2024
  • The two plains Camp male lions mating with two Nkuhuma lioness, on Imboma road.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-06-2024, 11:17 PM by Tr1x24 )

1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

Business about to pick up?  Again.. are these the actual BDM's?  Or just the ghosts of the BDM's?

3 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Ngonya Online

(05-06-2024, 07:24 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Thats the "problem" with that disease, rapid weight loss after good meal, unlike healthy males, who sustain body mass despite not eating as much.

So males sometimes look "good", but after few days without eating, they again look very skinny.
I know.

I wonder if these boys will keep losing condition quickly, not being able to reach a great physic for the rest of their lifes...?
Also wonder what they have, the famous and "usual" TB or something else? 

#4 has a smudge on his hip, of which seems to have grown and got darker.

#6 reminds me of Limper

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(05-07-2024, 12:13 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Business about to pick up?  Again.. are these the actual BDM's?  Or just the ghosts of the BDM's?

That’s the orange-eyed Black dam male. Were they together with Kambula males or just in the same property

Ttimemarti Offline

No idea what happened to these guys they arrived at mala mala 6 males 5 Nkhulus + dreadlocks all in great condition then they went back south found another one of their younger brothers he joined them and since then they’ve been sick so what happened to them?
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(05-07-2024, 12:22 AM)T I N O Wrote:
(05-07-2024, 12:13 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Business about to pick up?  Again.. are these the actual BDM's?  Or just the ghosts of the BDM's?

That’s the orange-eyed Black dam male. Were they together with Kambula males or just in the same property

Same property. Would’ve been bigger news if they had all been spotted together.
1 user Likes KM600's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

(05-07-2024, 12:22 AM)T I N O Wrote:

Sadly I can't corroborate what is in this post.  My guess is same property.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Friarfan619 Offline

Comments say nkuhuma, ig story said nkuhulu. Someone see and confirm from this angle??

" target="_blank" class="post_link">
2 users Like Friarfan619's post