There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(03-30-2024, 12:38 AM)afortich Wrote:

His age is really starting to show with that darkness in his mane, would be a great partner for any surrounding coalition or lone male. Interesting that the Ndzengas were the first ones to become aware of his presence already whereas the BDMs are nowhere to be seen.
3 users Like KM600's post

( This post was last modified: 03-30-2024, 11:48 PM by KM600 )

Khanya roaring in Northern Sabi Sands

Close up of him 

4 users Like KM600's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Is he roaring for the nkuhuma pride or contact calling for his brother if he is calling for his brother it would make sense he went back home to look for him but just completely breaks my heart. If Nkuhuma male wasn’t as old as he is he’d be a great partner
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

Ngonya Offline

(03-30-2024, 11:25 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: If Nkuhuma male wasn’t as old as he is he’d be a great partner
Nkuhuma is not old, hes still in prime physically condition.
The worst about him is the way he acts, not his age

For whatever reason it’s not allowing me to add my own comment into the above posts so I’ll send it here instead. 

Nkuhuma male is still at a point where he would be a useful companion but that’s about it, doesn’t look like he’ll start to become a dominant male anytime soon. Regardless of that however, I don’t think 2 as a number is enough looking at the coalitions in Sabi Sands currently, especially taking into account two unrelated males. 

Best thing that could happen to Khanya is either he somehow reunites with his brother or he stays in the North and the Nkuhuma boys not only show back up but decide to accept him.
1 user Likes KM600's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

@KM600 I have brought the issue to the attention of our Webmaster @sanjay

In the mean time, as for your comment "stays in the North and the Nkuhuma boys not only show back up but decide to accept him" I think the biggest hindrance to that scenario might be Mohawk, I am not so sure he'd be too willing to accept the Talamati, though he might given they should be familiar with one another.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Ttimemarti Offline

It’s his age look at what happened when he met both of the talamati boys where did he go after he went back to the talamati pride (now renamed) and they did not follow him he is trying to be a dominant male and is ready the smaller talamati boy is not ready so if they join forces he would likely lead him south and try to take a pride nkuhuma male is what 8 years old now almost smaller talamati is 4 in a half maybe but he might be ready but id hate for another avoca male guernsey situation if the talamati male was around 5 maybe but right now he doesn’t have the mindset to fight other males for a territory unlike the nkuhuma male If that makes sense.

Super Moderator

@Ttimemarti "id hate for another avoca male guernsey situation"

Even if he were to partner up with NKuhuma Male, I do not believe this would happen. I have never known NYM to be as aggressive as the Guernsey male was, in trying to take a pride. He has always seemed a lot more relaxed in his approach.

Ttimemarti Offline

I know but what I’m saying is when he met the talamati males they all went back south and met the talamati females (their sisters) the talamati boys left and nkuhuma stayed he is in his prime his instincts are to become a dominant male no? And he is aggressive he just chased the Styx pride and helped put the othawa pride on the brink of extinction it’s just because he is alone and has been alone for a long time he and Styx make tried to take the mhangeni pride weeks after the othawa male died all prime males want to be a dominant male the only thing stopping the nkuhuma male is he is alone once he gets a partner it’s a different story he see what he did when he met the skorro breakaway male they roared together

@Ttimemarti male lions roaring doesn’t really mean anything, I think ppl just made it seem like a big thing cos it involved Nkuhuma male who is a well known loner. Also Nkuhuma male staying around the Talamati females to me doesn’t show him trying to be a dominant male, if I remember correctly around the time he returned after splitting from the Talamati boys, one Gijima was with the Talamatis and the other with Styx Pride. He didn’t even try to pressure the temporary lone Gijima male. 

@BA0701 I don’t think Mohawk would have a problem purely due to the fact when Khanya was with them last year, it looked like he spent most of his time primarily around Mohawk than the other boys. Obviously a year has passed like I said, but I can’t think of a reason for Mohawk not wanting another capable male now he’s fully lost control of Nkuhuma Pride too. Would certainly be the best for both parties.
2 users Like KM600's post

Ttimemarti Offline

But he hasn’t roared any other time so it meant something you can’t say it meant nothing when any other time he is alone he doesn’t roar at all and he was chased away from the ximhungwes and would return solo and with nhenha and he would be chased away from the talamatis and would return he’s done it many times at first it for easy meals probably but if he was able to stay around longer than a day he would mate with them for sure but yeah

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

A male lions priorities are food, safety and mating. Being dominant over a territory will help them have that, but its not a goal on itself. 
If a territory yields no results, he will just as easily abandon it, rather than keeping hold over it for the sake of being dominant over it. Similar, if a male can get what he wants by just wandering around as a nomad, he is not going to risk it all to become dominant when he already has a good thing going. 

Nyms legacy may be non existing in the list of big bad conquers of coalitions. But for a lion he is not necessary living a bad life. 
He may even sneak in some cubs if the local coalitions aren't keeping a good watch on their lionesses.

As for a lion joining the Nkuhuma boys.
I think they have enough numbers for now, so adding more lions would just increase the stress within that group. Which is not a good atmosphere to create new bonds in. I doubt Mohawk has any say in the matter. Just because he is older does not mean he is the one in control.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Super Moderator

Throwback of the Matimbas and the B-Boys, from the WildEarth YT channel, just dropped a few mins ago.

7 users Like BA0701's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

@KM600 I have fixed the issue. Thanks for reporting.
4 users Like sanjay's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

Where in the WORLD are the S. BDMs?!  They haven't been sighted in well over 2 weeks!  There must be something going on to leave the Nk Pride so vulnerable.  I don't like this.  

Hope nothing ominous happened to the young duo.  Lots of tension and responsibilities they have on their shoulders, too much, too soon, maybe.  Keeping my fingers crossed for their well-being.
2 users Like Cath2020's post