There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-18-2016, 08:30 PM by Ngala )

From Londolozi Game Reserve, The Week in Pictures #258 by Sean Cresswell:
"The week ended with a surprise visit from three of the Majingilane males, far east into the Matimba males’ current territory, who seem to be absent and on their own buffalo kill a great distance to the south. This Majingilane male boasts a glassy right eye and may be completely blind in it, but is as impressively well conditioned as ever. The famous coalition may still have big fight in them!"

*This image is copyright of its original author
8 users Like Ngala's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

Credits to Roan Ravenhill - Mala Mala.

Guess who we saw this morning? Clue: they were last seen on MalaMala in February 2014...

And people still underestimate them...
7 users Like Tshokwane's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

Just for the sake of clarifying it, I do not think they are trying to make a move on the Matimba males.

It doesn't seem like it, it's more of a move to be aware where the territorial boundaries are between both sides, as they have done in recent ocasions.

Still, it is by far the most they have moved east, and while I don't think they want a takeover, the Matimbas would be fools to not take this seriously and respond to it in kind.

We'll see what happens.
6 users Like Tshokwane's post

Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Ngala:

About #722: very impressive warrior... With his glassy eye he would be a perfect buccaneer.
7 users Like Spalea's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Scar Nose, credits to Dulini Private Game Reserve.

6 users Like Ngala's post

Greece LionKiss Offline

what will happen if the Majingilane meet their Mangheni subadult males, their sons?
1 user Likes LionKiss's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

(11-20-2016, 12:43 AM)LionKiss Wrote: what will happen if the Majingilane meet their Mangheni subadult males, their sons?

They will chase them off, most likely. The kids will know to stay out of trouble.
4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

Credits to Mala Mala.

I thought it was interesting the explanation of the dinamics going on there. On a note, they call the Majingilane Manyelethi males.

Notice also the description about the rest of the coalitions, including one of the Birmingham males mating with two Mangheni breakaway girls.

November 16-19. Our lion sightings continue to dominate discussions and there's plenty to talk about! We recorded 24 lion sightings in the last 4 days with a total of 40 different individuals! 

The 4 Manyelethi males once controlled a huge swathe of MalaMala and for years were seen regularly. Then, in early 2014, they moved west and didn't come back until yesterday... 3 of the males were seen close to our Main Camp after over 2 and a half years. Why were they here? 

Well, we can't say for sure but over the last week there have been a multitude of lion sightings close to camp and a bit further east: the Marthly pride, the 6 lionesses from the Marthly Breakaway pride, the Styx pride, the Clarendon males, the Matshapiri males and a Gowrie male have all been within a few kilometers of camp. From dusk to dawn roaring can be heard frequently and emanating from several different positions. 

The other bit of breaking news is that the tailless lioness has rejoined the other 2 Marthly lionesses and shortly after their reunion, almost in celebration, they brought down a waterbuck together and feasted on it with the 5 cubs. The 6 lionesses who broke away from the Marthly Breakaway pride (confusing, yes) continue to spend time in the vicinity of Campbell Koppies. They were also viewed everyday along with the Clarendon males. 

The Styx pride and their 2 cubs have been viewed everyday and on 2 different buffalo kills. 1 of the Gowrie males was mating with the younger Styx lioness. Another Gowrie male was seen mating with 2 of the Marthly Breakaway lionesses... bizarre. The Matshapiri males were seen on all but 1 of the days and were seen on 2 days with the Eyrefield pride. 5 young males were viewed in the south and we believe they are the subadult males from the Marthly Breakaway pride.

Greece LionKiss Offline

no news = good news

probably the Majingilane returned to the west and there will be no bloodshed

Pakistan fursan syed Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast

majingilanes are getting older now. i think they are not going for bloodshed against other coalitions same with matimbas.  they both trying to avoid each other as much as possible. @"Majingilane"  i heard matimbas now controlling very small sized territory less then a size of a leopard territory . what you say about it ?
2 users Like fursan syed's post

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

(11-20-2016, 03:14 PM)fursan syed Wrote: i heard matimbas now controlling very small sized territory less then a size of a leopard territory . what you say about it ?

Well, it doesn't surprise me. The leopard in question was the 4:4 Robson's male, the one killed by the Tsalalas recently.

For a pair of such big lions like the Matimbas, it is...odd for them to be in such position, of holding so little territory.

I must say though, I think slowly they have expanded it a bit but they can't do it too much either.

When they tried to expand to the west, the Majingilane expelled them. To the east they have the Birmingham males, and sure as hell they don't want anything to do with them. And to the south they have two younger coalitions in the Matshapiris with whom they already had encounters and the Charleston males.

So for them any try to expand is a lose-lose situation, particularly at their age.

So far they have managed to do very good, particularly when the daughters of the Majingilane separated from their mothers, I think this move by the girls has cemented their position in Londolozi.

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

Credits to Matt Porter.

A very young Majingilane male with a buffalo he brought down single handedly. 

6 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

(11-20-2016, 08:39 PM)Majingilane Wrote: Credits to Matt Porter.

A very young Majingilane male with a buffalo he brought down single handedly. 

Is he golden Mane?
2 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Greece LionKiss Offline

(11-20-2016, 03:14 PM)fursan syed Wrote:   i heard matimbas now controlling very small sized territory less then a size of a leopard territory . what you say about it ?

they control Londolozi which is a big area, they also go north and into NW malamala where the Tsalala and the Mangheni breakaway roam
at least this was their status until a few days ago

Argentina Tshokwane Away
Big Cats Enthusiast

(11-20-2016, 09:52 PM)vinodkumarn Wrote: Is he golden Mane?

I think it is Hip Scar, although I'm not entirely sure.
3 users Like Tshokwane's post