There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Amur Tigers

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

I can only really imagine the wild beasts from say 40, 50 years ago. Lets hope the amurs get back to those sizes.
3 users Like Sully's post

Ecology & Rewilding

*This image is copyright of its original author
Tiger Sergey (# 85) one month before he was injured by Aldrich snare. The picture was taken by WCS photo trap on Sep, 9, 2007 in Sikhote-Alinskiy Reserve

http://bigcats.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4292
2 users Like Sully's post

Ecology & Rewilding

July 29 2014
7 users Like Sully's post

Ecology & Rewilding

Where do you think the biggest amurs are located guys? I'm not the most educated on the topic but it seems Sikhote have some giant specemins, an example being:

300kg? Maybe
5 users Like Sully's post

parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

5 users Like parvez's post

parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

I think central indian tigers cannot rival these giant siberian tigers. Can anyone please clarify my words. Can these tigers be rivalled by central indian tigers?
2 users Like parvez's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-22-2016, 06:54 PM by Pckts )

(06-22-2016, 06:42 PM)parvez Wrote: I think central indian tigers cannot rival these giant siberian tigers. Can anyone please clarify my words. Can these tigers be rivalled by central indian tigers?

To be fair, these tigers are smaller than central Indian tigers. According to the STP report that is, Amur tigers max out around 207kg while we know of jai at least who was 238kg and I'm sure many others are around that size if not larger. 

Could amurs be larger if their prey and habitat are saved, of course, but even so, if we are talking about weight only, the terrai tiger is the largest cat to ever be weighed by man. Central Indian tigers would be slightly smaller but still in that range.

Captivity is a different story, but no where are we able to compare pure bred Indian bengals to amurs. 

My personal opionion after reading about amurs in captivity is that if they are allowed to thrive and be protected, they are probably the largest of the big cats, but that remains to be proven.
4 users Like Pckts's post

parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

Thanks for the reply @Pckts . Some of siberians in camera traps appear to be cubs. So, I thought that they are bigger than central indian. Though there are central indian tigers that are on that range as cubs. But overall i imagined them to be slightly bigger than central indian ones. I heard they are on range of south indian tigers in terms of size. But I thought they would be even bigger if they are growing like this. I just expected it through imagination. Thanks for the reply once again Pckts.
4 users Like parvez's post

Ecology & Rewilding

Fully agreed Pckts, with ideal conditions who knows how big the biggest amurs could be? Ideal bengal habitat in Kazi seems to breed near 300kg specemins, so it's quite exiting.
4 users Like Sully's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

The data and instrument of Russia scientist and researcher are better and more accurate than their Indian counterpart . That doesn't mean all researcher and scientist in India are inaccurate, though most of them. The measurement and weighing methods of Russia is better.
I also think if the Amur tiger given the right condition and large prey base they can be bigger (on an average) to their Indian counterpart.
4 users Like sanjay's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

I don't think that is a fair assessment @sanjay.
The scales are no different from each other, I think Sunquist, Karanth, smith, Dr. Habib would certainly disagree.
I know we like to question the Sariska Tiger weight or Dr. Habib's weight, and maybe some are off but they are the experts, they are the ones conducting the weighing and while we can question results, we cannot take away from the field work they did.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-27-2016, 10:53 PM by Amnon242 )

(09-25-2015, 10:44 PM)Pckts Wrote: [quote pid='13440' dateline='1442524506']

Could their ages be different from the last time you saw them?

Warsaw says:
"BTW in the indian and indochinese tigers thread I posted photo of bengal tiger Paris, who is of similar weight (7yo, Igor is only 3yo)"

BTW For now Paris is ten-year-old.(2015)
"...ZOO Liberec má po 10 letech další mláďata bílého tygra. Čtyřletá samice Surya Bára (otcem je 7 letý Paris)..."
http://www.tvrtm.cz/do-zoo-uz-dorazilo-na-1500-jmen-pro-tygrata-clanek-11839.html

"Igor. 3yo amur tiger. Around 220 kg (weighted)
Igor is atleast 4 y.o
"...Hodonín – Ze čtvrtka na pátek očekávané Hodonínsku zoo vzácnou zásilku, jehož ukrývala pruhovaného krasavce Igora. Tak se jmenuje dvouletá samec tygra ussurijský,..."
"... dvouletý samec Igor z francouzské zoo v Ámneville..."
http://www.zradlo.com/?p=565
http://www.zoo-hodonin.cz/upload/vyrocni-zprava/Vyrocni_zprava_2013.pdf
"

Ofc, but I took the photo of Paris in 2012 (he was 7yo and he weighted 220 kg then). The photo of Igor is from august 2015. I saw Igor in april 2014 and the breeder told me that he is 2yo (could be in fact almost 3yo then).
3 users Like Amnon242's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Amurs Far East Russia / Amurs
Tigers of the snow <3

Russia

https://www.facebook.com/AmursFarEastRus...290732349/
1 user Likes Pckts's post

United States genao87 Offline

I believe GuateGojira mentioned that the Amur was heavier but the Bengal somewhat longer.

I also remember his drawing where he put the Bengal above the Siberian but that was before I read about the Amur being heavier than the Bengal.    I also feel as you guys if the Siberian was abundant that it would be higher in weight than the Bengal.  Also GrizzlyClaws mentioned that he believes that the Siberian was larger in the past.
2 users Like genao87's post

Ecology & Rewilding

Of course. In recent times inbreeding and poaching have had deep rooted affects on Amurs, thus allowing the bengal to overtake. I however believe the biggest siberians of the past were possibly 20-30kg heavier.
2 users Like Sully's post