There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Closed 
Orcas killing fully grown adult Great White Sharks

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-17-2019, 07:49 PM by Shadow )

(08-17-2019, 06:44 PM)Megalodon Wrote:
(08-17-2019, 05:50 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 11:49 PM)Megalodon Wrote: @Rishi 

Quote:That'd be great. Please present said evidence (not this thread)... but until then, hold the claims.

Ok, you tell me when to post the evidence I have, and I'll do it.

Ideally before you make any claim... ever.

Quote:@Shadow 

Quote:As said, you're making controversial claims and trying to make them look like not controversial. In that you aren´t successful. That should be clear now. 

And did you notice what you wrote... "Orca ambushed it"... well, isn´t that the case really there, orcas can hunt in groups with multiple strategies depending of prey. Then as you said, it can use ambush and take down for instance a great white shark alone. Impressive to see how intelligent predator orca is. When there is no pod nearby, it takes a kill alone. 

A lone Great white can easily do the same thing and ambush and kill a lone Orca. (Especially using that devastating breach technique) - Even Rishi agreed with that.

Did I? In the previous post I asked for evidence & examples to back up several of your "FACT"s... You haven't yet. 

Publishing of this post will be withheld until then.

Quote:
  • enough to negate almost double sized Orca's 3-5 ton weight (& therefore strength) advantage.
-> Evidence?

I never claimed this as a "FACT" thats my opinion and I firmly believe it, as size is not everything in nature, there's many, many examples of predators overcoming a huge size disadvantage. You know this too.

Quote:
  • Orcas only prevail because of numerical superiority. Individually a (large) White would be more than a match for a single Orca.
-> Evidence? Examples?

This fact has been stated numerous times by marine biologists - including Dr Ingrid Visser - who's the worlds leading Orca expert. I seriously suggest you start watching some documentaries on marine animals/or Orca's and sharks. Another example is the lack of any accounts of a lone Orca tackling a large, formidable prey item, single-handedly. Clear observations have confirmed that this is exclusively done cooperatively.

As far as a single large white shark being more than a match for a single Orca, thats my opinion. Logic tells me that a Great white physically is better built for a head-on battle. Not a large cetacean with extremely sensitive, soft skin with much inferior jaws and teeth.

Quote:
  • Its a confirmed fact that there's not a single account ever recorded, of a lone Orca even attacking an adult white shark, let alone killing one.
-> Exactly same goes for Whites achieving the same with one lone Orca. 

Yeah, because a white shark will NEVER catch a lone Orca alone, period. Orca's always travel in pods or pairs, now thats a 100% undisputable fact.

Quote:
  • Orca's only dominate over Great whites because they run in packs. 
-> Evidence? Example?

Again, I never claimed this as a fact, and I already gave my examples by explaining the anatomy of both animals and explaining how it can help them in a head-on battle. And yes, common sense and observations by experts clearly proves that they dominate because they run in packs. Why?...because again, I've never seen or heard of a lone Orca ever predating a huge, powerful animal - single-handedly, thats why. Now, if Orca's were solitary predators, you actually think they would go around predating on full-grown adult white sharks?..

Orcas are called the "Wolves of the Sea" for a very good reason. They use the luxury of size combined with the strength in numbers to dominate the ocean.

Quote:Goes without saying, given their more tender skin.

Exactly, and just one single bite from a white shark and that Orca is gonna be in a world of trouble!

My other "claims" were about tigers vs Brown bears, now I'm not exactly gonna start posting those accounts on this thread, am I??...Thats completely irrelevant.

@Shadow 

I claimed that the shark killed by a single adult Orca in the Farallons was a juvenile. Well, here...I found an article stating it was a juvenile white shark:

"Ok, so the battle wasn't all it was billed to be. It was as one-sided as most heavyweight fights these days. But keep in mind that the killer whale was a full-grown adult, and the white shark was a juvenile that probably hadn't developed its taste for blood yet."

“White sharks get to be about 18-20 feet long and in theory, a great white shark, until it’s about 12-14 feet long, is effectively still a juvenile,” Brown said. “A 10-footer is probably still feeding on fishes. It’s when they reach about 12 feet that they start preying on large mammals, such as seals and sea lions. And that’s when they develop that incredible girth.”

“I’ve often had people ask me during lectures that, if I had to put money on it, who would I choose in a fight between an orca and a great white shark. I said I’d choose the orca, hands down, because orca's are team players and they’re so much more intelligent.”

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1997-oct-10-sp-41347-story.html

You see shadow, a 9 - 10ft white shark is clearly a juvenile, and thats when their still feeding on fishes, not on large marine mammals. Brown also favours the orca over the white shark, not just because of the intelligence, but the first factor he mentioned is that Orca's are TEAM-PLAYERS - again, which is a huge advantage.

@Rishi can you publish my previous post now in response to shadow and chaos, please?

That 10 feet shark could have been 9 or maybe 11, I don´t know if it was measured. So was it a juvenile or adult remains maybe always mystery. Anyway there are measured great white sharks too and biggest, which I remember was 4,9 meters. So smaller or bigger they are targeted. 

But you have now repeated your claims many times and as you can see, your claim, that orcas would be only successful because team players is only your opinion, not proven fact, like you want to say. You want to convince people, that great white shark would be 1-1 too much for orca. I disagree and so do many others. And while great white sharks flee from orcas, I think that you will have very hard time to convince anyone. Orca obviously, alone or in group won´t flee great white shark. 

At this point your opinion is clear. And also it, that it is your opinion, nothing more or less. No point to repeat that time after time anymore, everyone interested have seen how you think now.

And your quote could be highlighted also like this:

"because orca's are team players and they’re so much more intelligent.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Orcas killing fully grown adult Great White Sharks - Shadow - 08-17-2019, 07:33 PM
Great White Shark & Orca - Megalodon - 08-15-2019, 05:11 AM
RE: Great White Shark vs Orca - Rishi - 08-15-2019, 09:53 AM