There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Lion King 2019

Panther Offline

(01-14-2019, 01:52 PM)brotherbear Wrote: That site says Himalayan brown bear but then gives basic brown bear information. Here is one better: https://www.coniferousforest.com/himalayan-brown-bear.htm 

Size: Males – 5 ft to 7 ft 3 in (1.5-2.2 m); Females – 4 ft 6 in to 6 ft (1.37m-1.83 m)
Weight: Males – 298 lb (135 kg); Females – 150 lb (70 kg)
Color: Reddish-brown to sandy

Thanks for clearing that out!
1 user Likes Panther's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-14-2019, 10:18 PM by Pckts )

(01-14-2019, 01:58 PM)brotherbear Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 10:20 AM)Sanju Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 01:15 AM)brotherbear Wrote: I read both Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling. He made it crystal clear that Baloo is a brown bear ( even though Disney called him a sloth bear ). The only brown bear in India is the Himalayan brown bear; also called the red bear. He may very well be the smallest of the world's brown bears and ( for a brown bear ) a sweet disposition.

Jungle Book by Rudyard happened in Seeonee's Pench Tiger reserve (or mowgli tiger reserve) of Madhya Pradesh (central India) and there are no brown bears (himalayan) except Sloth bears. Though in Jungle Book I loved it to see brown bear in Movie... Wow One of the best films of my life.

This is true, I'm sure. But while Rudyard Kipling was a great writer he was no animals expert. He made it exceptionally clear in his Second Jungle Book when he writes Baloo the Brown Bear with three capital B's. Perhaps he simply preferred a brown bear to a shaggy black sloth bear. It is pure fiction after all.

Baloo
The true identity of Kipling’s “sleepy brown bear” is a bit of an enigma: Baloo’s physical description in the book would suggest a sloth bear, but his diet of nuts and honey runs counter to that species’ insect-eating preferences. Baloo’s name, which simply means “bear” in Hindustani, lends no additional clues.
“The problem is that The Jungle Book is fiction, and all of Kipling’s characters are a mixture of imaginary types and real animals, so it’s impossible to know the species for sure,” says Kaori Nagai, a Kipling scholar at the University of Kent. But Kipling did use 19th-century naturalists’ writings while crafting the book, and one of his sources was an 1884 natural history text that notes that the common Indian sloth bear is “as a rule vegetarian.” Given that sloth bears tend to sleep a lot during the day and can be found throughout India, most scholars agree that Baloo likely fits this label. And Disney's 1967 animated movie has Baloo teaching Mowgli to eat ants.
Sloth bears, which are found only in Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and India, are currently listed as “vulnerable” by the IUCN, but they “are quite widespread and safe in India in terms of conservation, although they are under some pressure from trade for their gallbladders,” says Ullas Karanth, director of the Wildlife Conservation Society’s India program. The bears are also abundant in many reserves in India, he adds, “where they are especially adapted to eating termites—and fond of honey.”

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016...e-science/

Pench also claims to be the inspiration  "The story of Mowgli is based in the forests of Central India, in a place called Seoni in Madhya Pradesh. The Seoni region is ten kilometers from Pench National Park — a tiger reserve also known as Mowgli's forest"

Only a Sloth Bear would exist there.

Obviously there isn't a "crystal clear" conclusion since it's strictly interpretive at this stage.

In regards to the actual thread, I'm looking forward to this movie very much, how can you not?
Hopefully the songs and lines aren't changed which I doubt they will be, since they stuck very much to the original script for Beauty and Beast as well.
The Lion King was one of my all time favorite Disney movies and it actually has a bit of controversy as well "“The Lion King“ was billed as Disney’s first big animated feature that wasn’t a retelling of a fairytale or previous story. And while the film took a lot of inspiration from Shakespeare’s “Hamlet,” its originality was still praised by critics and audiences."

but a lot of people claim it as a stolen concept from "Kimba the White Lion"
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/2...72316.html

After the movie’s release, many were shocked by its similarities to a Japanese-created American television cartoon series called “Kimba, the White Lion.” That cartoon, about African wildlife, began airing in the 1960s and was based off of a Manga comic called “Jungle Emperor Leo“ by animator Osamu Tezuka.

Disney and the filmmakers quickly denied any influence.

The company’s stance was that those involved with the film had no knowledge of “Kimba” or Tezuka. In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, “The Lion King” co-director Rob Minkoff said, “Frankly, I’m not familiar with [the TV series],” in reference to the controversy. He also added that he and co-director Roger Allers first learned about the debate on a trip to Japan to promote the movie.

But as author Madhavi Sunder pointed out, Allers actually worked as an animator in Japan in the 1980s, a place where “Jungle Emperor” was widely seen, and its creator, Tezuka, is known as Japan’s Walt Disney.

Image: Imgur

In a recent interview with Fumettologica, Allers said, “I could certainly understand Kimba’s creators feeling angry if they felt we had stolen ideas from them. If I had been inspired by ‘Kimba’ I would certainly acknowledge my inspiration.”

Minkoff and Allers did not respond to requests for further comment from HuffPost Entertainment.

Disney’s denial of any influence inspired petitions and protests from animators and fans alike who believed “Kimba” should have been acknowledged. Well-known Japanese cartoonist Machiko Satonaka, who says she was told by the company that “Disney has never heard of ‘Jungle Emperor’ or ‘Kimba, the White Lion,’” wrote an open letter to the studio that was signed by hundreds of animation professionals. “The Simpsons“ even parodied the controversy in a 1995 episode by having a lion appear in the clouds to say, “You must avenge my death, Kimba … I mean, Simba.”

My stance is that it definitely took quite a few liberties from Kimba but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it, most movies are stolen or reused ideas, it's very difficult to come up with a completely new concept, too much has been done already, especially in the entertainment industry.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 12:50 AM by Sanju )

(01-14-2019, 01:58 PM)brotherbear Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 10:20 AM)Sanju Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 01:15 AM)brotherbear Wrote: I read both Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling. He made it crystal clear that Baloo is a brown bear ( even though Disney called him a sloth bear ). The only brown bear in India is the Himalayan brown bear; also called the red bear. He may very well be the smallest of the world's brown bears and ( for a brown bear ) a sweet disposition.

Jungle Book by Rudyard happened in Seeonee's Pench Tiger reserve (or mowgli tiger reserve) of Madhya Pradesh (central India) and there are no brown bears (himalayan) except Sloth bears. Though in Jungle Book I loved it to see brown bear in Movie... Wow One of the best films of my life.

This is true, I'm sure. But while Rudyard Kipling was a great writer he was no animals expert. He made it exceptionally clear in his Second Jungle Book when he writes Baloo the Brown Bear with three capital B's. Perhaps he simply preferred a brown bear to a shaggy black sloth bear. It is pure fiction after all.

*This image is copyright of its original author

@brotherbear See in the movie too, the story of the character, his life style and food habits or diet are of sloth bear's. but Disney felt better to place a Brown bear in physical appearance. ^ the above picture and the scene Bhageera replying to baloo:

See Asian elephants head i.e.., twin-domed head but the spine but back should be either straight or slightly convex, while in this movie they designed it like African elephant's back which has a concave shape... except the head, rest of it looks like african elephants. See:

At the end, see how the brown bear became like a Sloth bear in the Rudyard's Jungle "book" at the end. Remember Sloth bears climb trees not Brown bears (sometimes but very very rare and not in India as they are no brown bears in central India's tropical forests and jungles). It is the sloth bear in the story but the physically depicted or picturised as brown bear. Why? Coz it is good and attractive to have a cute and cuddly brown bear (teddy bear) in the movie than a sloth bear. We all know what disney does... it makes movies which people like and I like the movie. BTW the above series of pictures is the most fav part of the movie coz it's nostalgic and music was heart touching (makes me cry).

3 users Like Sanju's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 03:44 AM by Shadow )

Real Mufasa survived, proof is here, so no need to cry when new movie is out. It is just a fairy tale Wink

2 users Like Shadow's post

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 08:19 AM by Wolverine )

(01-13-2019, 11:07 AM)GuateGojira Wrote: I saw the two parts of the movies and are amazing!!!

I am agree, the mythology of India is incredible and fascinating!

I don't know did you watch Bahubali on small screen or in cinema, but here in Canada I watched it in cinema, the magnitude and scale of this film is something unbelievable, nothing less than "Lord of the Rings", I couldn't believe that something like this could be created outside Hollywood. The movie gathered 280 million dollars:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_Indian_films

One of the reasons for the success @sanjay of the movie is that SS Rajamouli got with himself from Los Angeles one of the Gurus of the visual effects and animation in the world - Gohn Friffith

"After the film's release, Rajamouli visited Los Angeles to learn more about VFX technology. There, he met visual effects expert John Griffith who has worked on movies such as the X-Men series, [i]Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith[/i], and [i]Rise of the Planet of the Apes. [/i]The pair ended up working on [i]Baahubali 2[/i]'s climactic war sequence. Griffith worked on the pre-visualisation part, which is a technique to render some scenes before the movie is filmed."
https://www.huffingtonpost.in/2017/06/12..._22137134/

SS Rajamouli during work (in the center)

3 users Like Wolverine's post

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 09:56 AM by Wolverine )

(01-14-2019, 11:18 AM)GuateGojira Wrote: The wolves of Warner look like Indian wolves, while those from Disney look like Eurasian wolves. Check the Indian wolves:

Now check the Eurasian ones:

I would say even that the Disney Indian wolves looked like McKanzie Valley wolves from Canada, same roaming in Yellowstone.... LolLol  , bison killers.

And Akela looked like Alfa male of Druids wolf pack from Yellowstone...:

According to @Rishi and I trust him Indian wolves don't make real packs and live only in pairs.
2 users Like Wolverine's post

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 09:30 AM by Wolverine )

Actually the white she wolf from the photo even looks like Arctic wolf....but for sure not like tropical wolf. White fluffy Arctic wolf in India is something that even my robust stomach cant digest...   Lol Crying Lol
2 users Like Wolverine's post

Sanju Offline

(01-15-2019, 09:27 AM)Wolverine Wrote: Actually the white she wolf from the photo even looks like Arctic wolf....but for sure not like tropical wolf. White  fluffy Arctic wolf in India is something that even my robust stomach cant digest...   Lol  Crying Lol

Yes @Wolverine, some character's physical appearance in the movie are not accurate but the role of them like sloth bear, Asian elephant and Indian wolf are accurate and same as the original. They did change the appearance on the screen should be better coz it is a movie which should be beautiful and in it it is a DISNEY movie.
1 user Likes Sanju's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

Chech the subspecies/populations of wolves that you mention:

Artic wolf:

Mackenzie and Yellowstone (reintroduced) wolves are the same, the magnificent Northwestern wolf, the largest of the canid species in the world (excluding the big dogs, which are artificial creations of humans). Check this:

Hope this helps.

Note: If everyone want, I can put these images in the topic about wolves. Happy
3 users Like GuateGojira's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

About Baloo. Yes, only the sloth bear is at home in the Jungle Book stories location. The only non-native bear that realistically might wander in is probably the Asiatic black bear. Scientifically and historically Baloo should be a sloth bear. I get it. This is why Walt Disney called Baloo a sloth bear. However, Rudyard Kipling - the author of the books and the creator of Baloo - clearly stated that Baloo is a brown bear. Evidently this matter was brought to his attention after his first Jungle Book. The reason I say this is because in the Second Jungle Book, Rudyard Kipling made it a point to refer to his famous bear as Baloo the big Brown Bear with all capital B's thus making it clear that he was not referring only to the color of the bear.
2 users Like brotherbear's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 05:03 PM by Shadow )

In this article a little bit about grey wolves in India and also a photo, where seems to be a pack of 5 wolves (or at least 5 from a pack there in same time). So maybe this gives justification to put a pack of wolves to movie too :) Even if they would often seen in pairs. In Finland gray wolves are usually in packs, but then again wolf pairs are known too in some area. So maybe in India pairs are more common than here, but also packs here and there.

https://www.evolveback.com/hampi/unseen-...grey-wolf/

In this article a photo of Indian grey wolf and dholes. In this, that wolf looks like a lot as some individual from much more north.

http://www.conservationindia.org/gallery...arh-odisha

So maybe people who have made Mowgli movies have also seen photos like those above etc. :)

If we would put in one place wolves from Yellowstone, Russia and Finland and then also that wolf from last photo, I think that no-one here could say anytime soon, that which wolf is from where so, that feeling confident when giving estimation Wink
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 06:29 PM by Sanju )

(01-15-2019, 11:06 AM)brotherbear Wrote: thus making it clear that he was not referring only to the color of the bear.
ooooohh! now I understood. thanks.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 09:16 PM by Shadow )

This is interesting link and looks like to have original pictures from books. Does anyone here have original book or copies of those? 

Quite good picture of Baloo too there :)

https://www.davidbrassrarebooks.com/page...ungle-book

Actually those pictures are original, I just noticed when looking second time Grin
1 user Likes Shadow's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(01-15-2019, 09:11 PM)Shadow Wrote: This is interesting link and looks like to have original pictures from books. Does anyone here have original book or copies of those? 

Quite good picture of Baloo too there :)

https://www.davidbrassrarebooks.com/page...ungle-book

Actually those pictures are original, I just noticed when looking second time Grin

2 users Like Pckts's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1937/1937-h/1937-h.htm 

The stream is shrunk—the pool is dry,
    And we be comrades, thou and I;
    With fevered jowl and dusty flank
    Each jostling each along the bank;
    And by one drouthy fear made still,
    Forgoing thought of quest or kill.
    Now ‘neath his dam the fawn may see,
    The lean Pack-wolf as cowed as he,
    And the tall buck, unflinching, note
    The fangs that tore his father’s throat.
    The pools are shrunk—the streams are dry,
    And we be playmates, thou and I,
    Till yonder cloud—Good Hunting!—loose
    The rain that breaks our Water Truce.

The Law of the Jungle—which is by far the oldest law in the world—has arranged for almost every kind of accident that may befall the Jungle People, till now its code is as perfect as time and custom can make it. You will remember that Mowgli spent a great part of his life in the Seeonee Wolf-Pack, learning the Law from Baloo, the Brown Bear; and it was Baloo who told him, when the boy grew impatient at the constant orders, that the Law was like the Giant Creeper, because it dropped across every one’s back and no one could escape. “When thou hast lived as long as I have, Little Brother, thou wilt see how all the Jungle obeys at least one Law. And that will be no pleasant sight,” said Baloo.
3 users Like brotherbear's post