There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Size comparisons

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

Siberian Tiger and Amur Brown Bear 
Credit to @amurtigercenter

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like epaiva's post

LonePredator Offline

(10-18-2022, 06:43 PM)epaiva Wrote: Siberian Tiger and Amur Brown Bear 

Is that Tiger really young? His body proportions seem rather off and a little weird. It’s like he has the body proportions of a cub but then again too big to be a cub.

Apex Titan Offline

(10-18-2022, 06:48 PM)LonePredator Wrote:

Is that Tiger really young? His body proportions seem rather off and a little weird. It’s like he has the body proportions of a cub but then again too big to be a cub.

That could be a young male tiger aged 3 years old.
1 user Likes Apex Titan's post

LonePredator Offline

Here is another one. Amur Tiger and Ussuri Brown Bear marking the same tree.

1 user Likes LonePredator's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

It’s definitely not a cub, you’re just thrown off by the extended neck of the Bear in comparison to the Tiger looking upwards.
Look at the distance from the tree to their chest and you can how much closer the Tiger is to the tree than Bear. In reality they are both similar in length.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

LonePredator Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-18-2022, 07:07 PM by LonePredator )

(10-18-2022, 07:00 PM)Pckts Wrote: It’s definitely not a cub, you’re just thrown off by the extended neck of the Bear in comparison to the Tiger looking upwards.
Look at the distance from the tree to their chest and you can how much closer the Tiger is to the tree than Bear. In reality they are both similar in length.

I am not even comparing their lengths. I’m talking about the Tiger’s body proportions.

Apex Titan Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-18-2022, 07:08 PM by Apex Titan )

(10-18-2022, 06:58 PM)LonePredator Wrote: Here is another one. Amur Tiger and Ussuri Brown Bear marking the same tree.

The tiger looks slightly larger than the male brown bear in this picture, even though the tiger is stood further from the tree. If the tiger was stood closer to the tree like the bear is, it would be taller than the bear.

From what I've seen, male Amur tigers are taller (bipedal height) than adult male brown bears.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-18-2022, 07:06 PM)LonePredator Wrote:
(10-18-2022, 07:00 PM)Pckts Wrote: It’s definitely not a cub, you’re just thrown off by the extended neck of the Bear in comparison to the Tiger looking upwards.

I am not even comparing their lengths. I’m talking about the Tiger’s body proportions.

Proportions are the same but it’s definitely full bellied.

LonePredator Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-18-2022, 07:34 PM by LonePredator )

(10-18-2022, 07:07 PM)Apex Titan Wrote:
(10-18-2022, 06:58 PM)LonePredator Wrote: Here is another one. Amur Tiger and Ussuri Brown Bear marking the same tree.

The tiger looks slightly larger than the male brown bear in this picture, even though the tiger is stood further from the tree. If the tiger was stood closer to the tree like the bear is, it would be taller than the bear.

From what I've seen, male Amur tigers are taller (bipedal height) than adult male brown bears.

True. The Tiger definitely looks (and it is) taller than the Bear there. Tigers just seem taller than Brown Bears in general. 

Here is a Bengal (perhaps not pure) Tiger in comparison to a 5ft 10in tall man. I have never seen any Brown Bear this tall.

I once saw a picture of the Kodiak Bear Clyde (who was claimed to the largest Brown Bear ever) but he seemed to be only as tall as a normal male Tiger (Amur or Bengal)

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(10-18-2022, 06:48 PM)LonePredator Wrote:

They didn’t mention it’s age
1 user Likes epaiva's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

Latest Dan Folkes' Giganotosaurus Carolinii Skeletal drawing based on Meraxes Giga's proportions

GDI : 

Holotype and Paratype are respectively in the 7.5 - 8.1 ton range, I'll make a comparative image of them with tyrannosaurus Sue and Scotty .
1 user Likes AndresVida's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

Gorgosaurus Libratus 

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

Sue's head compared to an adult african lion

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

(01-23-2022, 02:25 AM)GuateGojira Wrote: So, I decided to make my own comparative image using the images from several artists and escalate them with the correct measurements available in litterature, here is the result:

Sadly it's time to update this my friend. 
Very big downsize 

Updated Livyatan with up-to-date proportions, largest specimen comes out at ~12 and a half meters long

Livyatan is restored based on it's close relatives which are visible in the img ,the 17 metre estimate no longer holds up because the base for it ( Zygophyseter ) had the wrong HL TL ratio in the paper ( The mount just measures like 5 metres rather than 7 metres taken in the paper) based on more rigourous Reconstructions it's <15 metres

Livyatan Melvillei and Megalodon ( The blue one is an incredibly well preserved Megalodon skeleton which is nearly 16 metres long ,the one behind is the 20 metre estimates based on 2021 papers)

Bitishannah Offline

(11-02-2022, 11:59 PM)AndresVida Wrote:
(01-23-2022, 02:25 AM)GuateGojira Wrote: So, I decided to make my own comparative image using the images from several artists and escalate them with the correct measurements available in litterature, here is the result:

Sadly it's time to update this my friend. 
Very big downsize 

Updated Livyatan with up-to-date proportions, largest specimen comes out at ~12 and a half meters long

Livyatan is restored based on it's close relatives which are visible in the img ,the 17 metre estimate no longer holds up because the base for it ( Zygophyseter ) had the wrong HL TL ratio in the paper ( The mount just measures like 5 metres rather than 7 metres taken in the paper) based on more rigourous Reconstructions it's <15 metres

Livyatan Melvillei and Megalodon ( The blue one is an incredibly well preserved Megalodon skeleton which is nearly 16 metres long ,the one behind is the 20 metre estimates based on 2021 papers)
Looks like livyatan is breakfast of megalodon!.