There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Size and weight siberian tiger

GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(07-01-2023, 07:20 AM)AlejoBravo96 Wrote: Hola a todos. Quisiera preguntarles si es posible que los datos sobre el tamaño y peso del tigre de amur publicados por la wcs, wwf o el centro de tigres de amur puedan tener inconsistencias o estén alterados a propósito. Digo esto porque parece que la mayoría de los datos tomados se hacen en primavera o verano cuando los tigres disminuyen su masa corporal, en segundo lugar porque la mayoría de los ejemplares analizados rondan los 3-4 años de edad, es decir, están lejos de su plenitud. desarrollo. , en tercer lugar porque la población oficial del censo se establece entre unos 60-70 ejemplares y en cuarto lugar que han sido manipulados como estrategia para restar interés a los furtivos por la zona. Muchas gracias.

English:
Hello everyone. I would like to ask you if it is possible that the data on the size and weight of the amur tiger published by the wcs, wwf or the amur tiger center may have inconsistencies or are altered on purpose. I say this because it seems that most of the data taken is done in spring or summer when tigers decrease their body mass, secondly because most of the specimens analyzed are around 3-4 years of age, that is, they are far from its fullness. development. , thirdly because the official population of the census is established between 60-70 specimens and fourthly that they have been manipulated as a strategy to reduce interest to poachers in the area. Thank you so much.

Hi AlejoBravo96. Honestly I don't know what language to use, or what you prefer (yo puedo en cualquiera de los dos, ingles o español, me da igual), but as Sanjay said, we use English mainly so more posters can read and understand what we are discussing.

Honestly I have no idea where you got those statements, with all respect it sounds like crazy conspiranoic ideas or secret plans or something like that. I can tell you that this is not the case, not even close.

In the case of the poachers, they don't care if the tiger is huge or small, they only want the tiger and that is all, they are not measuring/weighing the tigers, they just kill them and sold the body and skin. Poachers are not sport hunters, they are just people with no morality (most of the time) that want to kill and earn money. So, you can discard that idea.

There are no inconsistencies between the webpages, remember that most of the websites just repeat the same mantra that is in the people mind (Amur tigers are the biggest) and in fact they don't even focus on the size, but in the ecology, status and conservation objectives. If you check many other pages they not even quote sizes, like the website of Panthera. So, if you want information about size you need to dig in the scientific documents and not just check the websites that focus in conservation and not other morphological issues.

The season and the age that you quote is not correct at all. Many specimens were captured in winter, as is a good moment to follow tigers with the paw prints in the snow and the heat that an animal suffer when sedated is much less, which is good. Also, we have many specimens captured from several ages, not just young ones, but prime and even old ones. So this other idea can be easily discarted if you actually read all the reports about the captures and monitor of these animals. By the way, there is no evidence that tigers diminish they weigh significantly between seasons, remember that tigers do not use fat as isolation for the witner because they don't hybernate, they use they skin coat, fat is just a secondary effect and is not as dramatic as some people want to make you believe.

Finally, who says that the population is about 60-70 specimens? If that will be truth the Amur tiger will be in a highly critical situation. The last report place the population in about 700 specimens, which is great, thanks God.

So, none of those ideas is even based in fact, you can discard them with no problem.

Please check my tables about Amur tigers that I made in 2015:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Been honest I did not updated them because since that date there has been no other new RELIABLE weight in any scientific document and those from news reports were just estimations and unconfirmed when I asked to the reporters. However, now we have a new 206 kg male tiger that is confirmed and weighed in video, plus other three males (225, 250 and 270 kg) that were apparently weighed in China but that we still need confirmation. Adding the male of 206 kg to the sample the average will increase to 191 kg, not big deal. And if we include the three giant males from China the average should be over 197 kg.

Hope this helps with your questions.
3 users Like GuateGojira's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Size and weight siberian tiger - GuateGojira - 07-06-2023, 05:12 AM
RE: Size and weight siberian tiger - peter - 07-06-2023, 07:19 AM