There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---
We have upgraded the system, and this might cause some weird issues. If you face such issues, please report here.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raja the Tiger less than 500 lbs?

Canada faess Offline
Wildanimal Lover

I'm not sure if Raja has been weighed this article hints that he is.

"Although the gaur cow appears emaciated, she is still two to three times heavier than the 200-kilogram (440 pounds) cat."

http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/201...-its-kill/

200 kilogram cat

If so, still impressive that a cat that size  is known to take down gaur regularly. I'm assuming that these big northern tigers or crater lions are no bigger than 600 lbs.
1 user Likes faess's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-28-2015, 04:44 AM by Pckts )

(05-28-2015, 04:16 AM)'faess' Wrote: I'm not sure if Raja has been weighed this article hints that he is.

"Although the gaur cow appears emaciated, she is still two to three times heavier than the 200-kilogram (440 pounds) cat."

http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/201...-its-kill/

200 kilogram cat

If so, still impressive that a cat that size  is known to take down gaur regularly. I'm assuming that these big northern tigers or crater lions are no bigger than 600 lbs.

I'm not sure what you are saying here, you do know Raja has never been weighed. Its simply an estimate, I hope you realize that. You also know that many tigers have weighed more than 272kg and Madla is Verified, so 600lbs is obviously not a maximum, at least for a tiger.
 A crater lion is not any larger than any other lion, at least that is most likely the case since they are just Serengeti lions. A tiger would be larger, most of the time, since its the larger cat. Raja is a big cat, he would most likely be well over 200kg, that is simply average or less for a Indian Bengal and Raja is no average cat. I also think that Guar is double Raja's weight at most. A animal 3 times the weight would be able to move Raja, this gaur couldn't budge him and when you compare them, Raja is jammed packed full of muscle, the guar is taller and longer but not by that much and obviously not the most robust Guar Cow out there.

Here you see T24 and his weight is quoted at 250kg and he has actually been captured and is now in a sanctuary. The real shocker is that this may actually be his verified weight, but I would doubt that he was weighed either. Most of the time they just use estimates, especially when you see a nice round #.

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like Pckts's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

A while back Apollo confirmed that T24 was weighed to be 240 kg at a younger age and injured, and it took over 270 kg worth of sedative to sedate him, so he's probably within the 250-270 kg range. Nat geo is not a good source for estimates. A documentary once called a wild Amur 360 kg. 
4 users Like tigerluver's post

Canada faess Offline
Wildanimal Lover

The person who claimed is a doctor who is a very well respected  authority on Tigers. I still find it strange that he  estimated it to be 200 kg. I will try to email him and his team tonight about the citation . Raja isn't big compared to the Northern giants, but he doesn't look 200 kg either. I'd say around  500 lbs. Reminds me of that 164 kg Lion that was posted in yuku years back
1 user Likes faess's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 05-28-2015, 08:34 AM by GuateGojira )

@Pckts, which is the exact source of the article that you post? If the figure of 250 kg is confirmed, we CAN use it since now. [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

@tigerluver, could you post the statement/source where @Apollo mentioned that Ustad weighed 240 kg?

We most keep this sources and weights at hand.

Now, on the 200 kg figure, the article sounds like an estimation. There are several articles with many estimations of weights, some sources states that Bengal tigers weigh about 180 kg, other about 200 kg and others even 250 kg. Popular articles with estimations of animals that have not been weighed are just that, estimations. Raja has not been weighed by it seems that Ustad it does.

This 250 kg tiger Ustad and the 220 kg tiger ST-1, both from Ranthambore, seems to be the only weights from that region available yet (the 170 kg male tiger was probably a misquote, so I don't use it anymore).

1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-28-2015, 09:52 AM by tigerluver )

It was @Apollo's personal communication, he'd be the best one to point out the source. I can't remember what thread it was in but I'll try to look for it.

Edit:
post 380...http://wildfact.com/forum/topic-tiger-directory?page=26

2 users Like tigerluver's post

Canada faess Offline
Wildanimal Lover

http://photos.wildfact.com/image/229/gabbar

Does anyone know how much this Tiger weighs? Heard he was weighed but I can't seem to find tis weight

Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-28-2015, 11:04 AM by tigerluver )

Gabbar's been tagged for collaring but no weight was released, per the regular unfortunately. 
2 users Like tigerluver's post

Canada faess Offline
Wildanimal Lover

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like faess's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-28-2015, 09:22 PM by Pckts )

(05-28-2015, 06:49 AM)'faess' Wrote: The person who claimed is a doctor who is a very well respected  authority on Tigers. I still find it strange that he  estimated it to be 200 kg. I will try to email him and his team tonight about the citation . Raja isn't big compared to the Northern giants, but he doesn't look 200 kg either. I'd say around  500 lbs. Reminds me of that 164 kg Lion that was posted in yuku years back

The lion was weighed and verified btw, it was 146kg not 164kg and here is the link once again.
"After weighing Young Tom at a hefty 146 kg (321 pounds), Ingela fixed him with a GPS collar and waited for him to wake from the anesthesia."
http://www.panthera.org/node/3388

Raja is absolutely big compared to any "giant",
S. Indian Tigers are almost as Large as N. Indian tigers that have been weighed, eye witnesses of Raja have already stated him as being as large or larger than many other tigers from other areas. He's a hulk, you can see it in video, photo and eye witness accounts. I would definitely estimate him in the 250kg range.

Edit: Nice initiative going to the source, unless a tiger is actually captured, there is no way for them to know a weight. And Raja has never needed to be sedated or captured, thank god.

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-28-2015, 09:38 PM by Pckts )

(05-28-2015, 08:33 AM)'GuateGojira' Wrote: @Pckts, which is the exact source of the article that you post? If the figure of 250 kg is confirmed, we CAN use it since now. [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

@tigerluver, could you post the statement/source where @Apollo mentioned that Ustad weighed 240 kg?

We most keep this sources and weights at hand.

Now, on the 200 kg figure, the article sounds like an estimation. There are several articles with many estimations of weights, some sources states that Bengal tigers weigh about 180 kg, other about 200 kg and others even 250 kg. Popular articles with estimations of animals that have not been weighed are just that, estimations. Raja has not been weighed by it seems that Ustad it does.

This 250 kg tiger Ustad and the 220 kg tiger ST-1, both from Ranthambore, seems to be the only weights from that region available yet (the 170 kg male tiger was probably a misquote, so I don't use it anymore).

Let me search around, the 170kg was definitely wrong. I posted the info from the guy who said there is no way romeo weighed that little amount. I even posted a image of romeo and his GF and you can see quite a big difference between the two, even if the tigress was 130kg (avg) romeo is far more than 40kg larger than she.

Edit:
Found a pretty good article on his weight and info
"Udaipur : Controversies seem to not leave T-24 even after 10 days of his relocation from the lavish wilds of Ranthambore to a comparatively small 10,000 sqft enclosure at the Sajjangarh Biological Park here. The 250 kilograms weighing magestic big cat ‘Ustad’ is under scanner again, however, this time for no fault of his own. "
http://udaipurkiran.com/ustad-get-live-b...garh-park/

Also interesting to note,
"Meanwhile, authorities released visual clips of T24 tossing around his enclosure in the park. With animal lovers calling at the park continuously from various parts of the country, inquiring about his wellness, forest department gave a press briefing on Tuesday to put an end at all controversies. “ T24 is perfectly well, he is eating and moving normally. He is adapting to the new environment “ said CCF Rahul Bhatnagar. CCTV cameras have been installed at vantage points to monitor T24’s many moods. “ The footage shows Ustad lying under a tree during day and pacing up and down, usually sitting next to his cell’s wall, 30 metres from the opposite cell, occupied by a tigress called Damini,” Dr. T. Mohanraj, the DCF said. When Ustad is released from his cell in the larger open area of the enclosure, Damini is held back, and vice-a-versa, to avoid a confrontation. Park officials joke that when Ustad growls, the tigress growls back and the two could make a romantic pair, making him feel less homesick."

I don't want captive cats to breed, but if a great gene pool like Ustads could be used to populate other tiger reserves that are allocated, I may be ok with that.

While I'm not positive if he was weighed this time or not, he has been sedated numerous times so they definitely have had the opportunity to and they usually take advantage of that opportunity.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Canada faess Offline
Wildanimal Lover

I know this is off-topic, but where did people get  a 160 kg average for tiger? I don't remember who brought that up but someone has in the past in the yuku forums

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-29-2015, 02:27 AM by Pckts )

(05-29-2015, 01:47 AM)'faess' Wrote: I know this is off-topic, but where did people get  a 160 kg average for tiger? I don't remember who brought that up but someone has in the past in the yuku forums

Edit:
Here is the 180kg Tigress and I'm looking for the 170kg Male
The 180kg Tigress was given by Valmik Thapar

"Tigress Noon weighs close to 180 kg. Laxmi was few cm longer than noon and heavier. Nalghati tigress is heavily built than noon. Both Laxmi and Nalghati tigress must be above 180 kgs.

Recently a tigress was relocated from Ranthambore to another tiger reserve. She weighed about 170 Kg.

"A new tigress arrived at Sariska tiger reserve on Friday. The three-year-old, 170-kg animal was airlifted from Ranthambore tiger reserve, and was brought in the hope that she will form one half of a breeding pair,..." Source

Some photos of ranthambore tigresses, "

Here is the tiger they were talking about, it was a sub adult Tigress who they were transferring to Sariska
"A tigress, about three to four years old, was brought to Sariska from Ranthambore national park by a helicopter. It reached at around 11.45 am today (Friday)," a state government official said.

He said the tiger is about 160-170 kg and is being kept in a separate enclosure. "
http://www.dnaindia.com/scitech/report-t...er-1175654

And this is the Male that was transferred with them, I believe

T10 was translocated to Sariska in 2008.
He weighed in at 220Kg at 4 years during translocation.
But unfortunately he died, the reason could be either poisoning or territorial battle.

Check this articles about his death

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/poison...iger-67069

http://archive.indianexpress.com/news/tr...ka/711931/

One of the articles misquotes a males weight at trans-location at 170kg when really it was the female.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Here was Tigertrackers response to T12 weighing the alleged 170kg

"I just got some info on T18 and T12

This is from Tiger Trackers FB page in response to my question about T12 alleged weight

"We apologise for the inordinate delay in our response since we somehow happened to miss out on reading your message ! While T-18 could well have been in the 160-180 Kg category, there is no way a 7 yr old muscular Male like T-12 could weigh in at 170 Kgs ! Usage of the obsolete suspension hook type of weighing scales in the field by the forest personnel instead of the reliable Digital scale is also another reason for inaccurate values being reported. We reckon he was at least 200 - 220 Kgs at the time of getting translocated to Sariska. His height @ shoulder blades, muscular frame, overall length as well the size of his face clearly indicate his weight to be in that range. Cheers !"

4 users Like Pckts's post

Canada faess Offline
Wildanimal Lover

nm I found the source. Basically asad saying Tigers drop down to 160 kg due to the population of Sunderban being from 400-600.
If this is true (population) it  means a lot to the overall average for tiger weight.

I'm sure someone knows more of the population of sunderban tigers here