There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

BigLion39 Offline

(07-13-2022, 01:48 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Not sure if it’s appropriate but thought I’d share that Aruna Pavithran, a moderator and sensational contributor to the Timbavati FB Group has reportedly passed away.   I’ve lost count on the amount of lion history I’ve learned from her posts in that group.   Very saddened at her loss.   May she RIP.
(06-18-2021, 05:29 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-18-2021, 04:56 PM)lionuk Wrote: When the Avoca pride encroached deep into the Monwana pride's territory, a large female from the Avoca pride was isolated and brutally attacked by the four Monwana females.

Unfortunately, she didn't survive. 

Is she sister of Avoca males? Or even older, maybe mother?.

(07-13-2022, 01:48 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Not sure if it’s appropriate but thought I’d share that Aruna Pavithran, a moderator and sensational contributor to the Timbavati FB Group has reportedly passed away.   I’ve lost count on the amount of lion history I’ve learned from her posts in that group.   Very saddened at her loss.   May she RIP.

Wow that is very sad. I read a lot of her FB posts and they were very informative.  Hopefully from natural causes. What she older?
2 users Like BigLion39's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 07-13-2022, 11:15 AM by BA0701 )

Of course it is appropriate, thank you for sharing The lion community is a small one, and she sounds to have been a top shelf contributor. Very sad indeed, thoughts and prayers to her family, may she rest in piece.
7 users Like BA0701's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Hercules

*This image is copyright of its original author

Birmingham breakaways

Mongawane males

11 users Like Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Xikukutsus back on Thornybush

8 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-15-2022, 08:01 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Xikukutsus back on Thornybush

Great to see them doing well.

I dont remember when was the last time we saw both Xikukutsus together on a photo/video, it was very long time ago.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States criollo2mil Online
Contributor

Two Black Dam YMs have re-surfaced after an extended absence

These are the two that are separate from the other 4 brothers.

If you recall, one had escaped the reserve,,darted and returned.   I later heard of rumors they may have been relocated but could never corroborate.  

Credit:  Matty

https://instagram.com/stories/mattyhollandwildlife/2882825477238468988?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Attached Files Image(s)

15 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(07-15-2022, 08:55 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Two Black Dam YMs have re-surfaced after an extended absence

If you recall, one had escaped the reserve,,darted and returned.   I later heard of rumors they may have been relocated but could never corroborate.  

https://instagram.com/stories/mattyhollandwildlife/2882825477238468988?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

wow amazing news can they find there brother are they close to them ?
5 users Like kobe8jf1234's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-15-2022, 08:55 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Two Black Dam YMs have re-surfaced after an extended absence

Great to see that both are alive through by the loss of manes it seems they are not doing particularly great.
3 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-15-2022, 09:14 PM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: wow amazing news can they find there brother are they close to them ?

They are separated coalitions at this point.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

One of these 2 was seen in sabi sands right?
1 user Likes sik94's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(07-15-2022, 11:10 PM)sik94 Wrote: One of these 2 was seen in sabi sands right?
Yes, that's when he was chased away by the Kambula pride
2 users Like lionuk's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-15-2022, 09:14 PM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: wow amazing news can they find there brother are they close to them ?
Yes, they are pretty much in the same arena, they definitelly can reunite yet again.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-15-2022, 11:19 PM)Potato Wrote: Yes, they are pretty much in the same arena, they definitelly can reunite yet again.

They are in the same area for almost 1 year, yet they didn't united (except apperantly 1 sighting more then half a year ago on a kill), so at this point its very unlikely they will reunite, especially as other 4 BDM's are already mating with some females and prob will become territorial fairly soon.

Also, all these guys will be 5 yrs old from now towards late 2022, they are already nomads for around 2 yrs, so they are not exactly young and scared nomads anymore that they need their 2 brothers to be coalition of 6. 

They are 4, at this age and stage they can beat any coalition in the area with those numbers, their 2 brothers would be only unnecessary competition for females and food. 

Thats the reason why coalitions of 5 + males split in a first place, so them reuniting again, at 5 yrs of age, to form a coalition of 6? Is highly unlikely, otherwise it would already happen 1 year ago.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-16-2022, 12:11 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: They are in the same area for almost 1 year, yet they didn't united (except apperantly 1 sighting more then half a year ago on a kill)
Split for half a year rather won't be enough to breake the bond. Also they were not in the same arena ever since they split untill now.

(07-16-2022, 12:11 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: They are 4, at this age and stage they can beat any coalition in the area with those numbers, their 2 brothers would be only unnecessary competition for females and food. 
This is not a matter of forming bond with unknown males, but to reunite with brothers.

(07-16-2022, 12:11 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Is highly unlikely, otherwise it would already happen 1 year ago.
Disagree.

(07-16-2022, 12:11 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: They are 4, at this age and stage they can beat any coalition in the area with those numbers
They can or they can not. We are yet to see what those Black Dams are made of. Anyway Xikukutsus if the reunite with Mapoza definitelly should have tools to push those 4 young males out of this arena.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

The lions were anything but cooperative this week, and provided a real challenge for us; something we haven’t had to deal with for ages!  The Mayambula Pride had split and were wondering around in some very unusual areas, but they did re-appear briefly at the beginning of the week, but as they were on the opposite side of the concession, we opted not to go, hoping instead that they would return to their old haunts and be more visible over the coming days…we were wrong!  They only showed themselves again at the end of the week, and Scotch managed to get to see three of the lionesses, but not the lionesses that have the cubs.

Interestingly, there were reports of members of the Birmingham Pride being found within Mayambula territory, and not too far south of our concession – reports even suggested that the pride did have the white lions with them!  We actually did get to see two young males from the Birmingham Pride near Nkhari Homestead one evening, and these lions were later identified as being the brothers of the young white male lion from within the pride…this gives us a glimmer of hope that there may be a day in the not too distant future that he graces us with his presence.  The River Pride made a brief one day appearance in the north-west of the concession, and the young Giraffe male and the injured Monwana male were also seen briefly in the Klaserie River close to Plains Camp, but they disappeared before I got to see them.
6 users Like Potato's post