There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

6 users Like Potato's post

Italy Gabriele Offline

There are recent videos of Giraffe male and Monwana male?
1 user Likes Gabriele's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(05-29-2022, 05:56 AM)Gabriele Wrote: There are recent videos of Giraffe male and Monwana male?

Not that I know about, only a descriptions and photos from recent Tanda Tula updates.
2 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

11 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Swipe to travel in time!
Back in 2018 during my very first week at the lodge in Thornybush I got to see the Black Dam pride and their young cubs (see the last photo). Four years later we went back to Thornybush for a site visit and saw the same cubs, who are now in a coalition called the Black Dam males and they’re looking big and strong!
Please note: it’s difficult to tell if the cub on the photo is the exact same lion as the male. However we do know that both lions are one of the six males in the Black Dam coalition.

*This image is copyright of its original author

12 users Like Potato's post

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

Did the two Black Dam males unite with the other four? Or is it looking like a likely permanent split at that this stage?
5 users Like Horizon's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(06-03-2022, 03:48 PM)Horizon Wrote: Did the two Black Dam males unite with the other four? Or is it looking like a likely permanent split at that this stage?

They were not seen together for a few months, despite rumours tha they are together,
4 users Like Mdz123's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(06-03-2022, 03:48 PM)Horizon Wrote: Did the two Black Dam males unite with the other four?
Doesn't look like it.

(06-03-2022, 03:48 PM)Horizon Wrote: Or is it looking like a likely permanent split at that this stage?
It is yet to be seen.
4 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-03-2022, 03:48 PM)Horizon Wrote: Did the two Black Dam males unite with the other four? Or is it looking like a likely permanent split at that this stage?

I think that BD young male who was in Sabi Sands is gone, no sightings of him in ages, it looks like its 4 +1 (Orange Eyes) alone.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

(06-03-2022, 08:35 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

I think that BD young male who was in Sabi Sands is gone, no sightings of him in ages, it looks like its 4 +1 (Orange Eyes) alone.

Tr1x24, Is this boy @4:00 that disappeared? Oh, boy! Was thinking these guys were only a 6-12 months away from domination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD76xykBNsQ
2 users Like Horizon's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-04-2022, 02:57 PM by Tr1x24 )

(06-04-2022, 07:10 AM)Horizon Wrote: Tr1x24, Is this boy @4:00 that disappeared? Oh, boy! Was thinking these guys were only a 6-12 months away from domination.

Yea, i mean maybe he is alive somewhere, but as i said, only Orange Eyed male was seen alone on photos for many months.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Mapoza 

9 users Like Potato's post

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline

Does anybody know when all the current Mayambula cubs were born? 

What i can remember: 
First litter of 4 was said to be born in Mid December. 
Second Litter of 4 was Perhaps Early January 2022
Third litter of 3 was probably born in March or April (or earlier) 2022 

Can anyone help to confirm or correct this? 

All 11 cubs were born between December and March/April 2022
3 users Like Mabingilane's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(06-04-2022, 09:28 PM)Mabingilane Wrote: Does anybody know when all the current Mayambula cubs were born? 

What i can remember: 
First litter of 4 was said to be born in Mid December. 
Second Litter of 4 was Perhaps Early January 2022
Third litter of 3 was probably born in March or April (or earlier) 2022 

Can anyone help to confirm or correct this? 

All 11 cubs were born between December and March/April 2022

Dunno, but on this yt channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFQ4XbgT7kpFZO094PiKnnA/videos  you have regular updates on that pride so there you should be able to find informations you are looking for.
5 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

A lone lioness had successfully taken down a baby giraffe in front of our lodge. She was soon surrounded by hyena, keen to snatch away her kill. She remained on her kill all day, managing to keep the hyena at bay. By the evening three Vuyela males showed up, scattering the hyena in all directions and sending the lioness running for her life! They then got comfortable, tucking into the kill. By the next morning, there was no evidence left of the kill! After the Vuyela were done, the hyena did a great job cleaning up what little was left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiohRqB38jg&ab_channel=BaobabRidge
7 users Like Potato's post