There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Romania Cath2020 Offline

I really like this kind of 'slow burn' takeover.  Tumbelas are quite young and haven't bulked out yet, so they are not too possessive and dominant, much like the N'was in their first year where they were carving out their new territory.    

Those 3 lionesses sure know how to keep all the males busy.  If one or two are with HB and the subs, the other one is with the Tumbelas.... They seem to go back and forth.  The young boys are satisfied for now.... And HB with the subs can live in peace for a bit longer.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-15-2020, 03:38 PM)Potato Wrote: Nah, they are moving through centrum of what Matimba male territory just to be. They are not scared of him. Of course HB is a way larger male than Tumbelas an can chasse around single Tumbela, but when there will be 2 or 3 Tumbelas around, the situation will be totally different. I think HB by mating with Othawa lionesses is bringing too much atention to himself and it can end up very ugly for Matimba male. HB should keep low profile

They are scared of him, otherwise they would challenge him by now and try to kill/chase him.. They are moving thru his territory because Matimba doesnt put any pressure towards them (because he physicaly cant patrol/chase at this age, he is following pride for food mostly) so they dont feel threatned in this area, but they are scared to challenge him, for now..

Both parties are happy how things are rn, but when Tumbelas gain confidence, that will change..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The Othawa young boys
November 2020,Photo credits: Diff Marimane

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-15-2020, 05:11 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: The Othawa young boys

I just posted this few posts back..

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2020, 05:52 PM by T I N O )

(11-15-2020, 05:13 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 05:11 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: The Othawa young boys

I just posted this few posts back..

This was posted by Diff Marimane today. That's is why I shared it in this thread. If you shared this before. Then,I apologize it.
2 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

[video=facebook" target="_blank" class="post_link">https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=3448710641875616 [/video]
]

Update!

The Tale of the Tumbela's continued...
Sometimes you are in the right place at the right time. Setting off slightly earlier than normal for an afternoon game drive, our Dulini field guides happened to watch some very interesting dynamics between the weaker Tumbela male and the Matimba male.

When arriving at the sighting of the Ottawa female and Tumbela Male, who had been mating, the Ottawa female was slightly away from the Tumbela male who was under the Gwarie bush feeding on what was left of a wildebeest kill.

Whilst watching the Tumbela male, his demeanor went from being relaxed to all of a sudden alert and looking around. The Tumbela male got up and skulked off rather quickly. Puzzled by this behavior, our questions were soon answered when the Matimba male entered the scene and went straight to the wildebeest kill.

There has been a lot of interest and speculation over what would happen if these Males' encountered each other and whether they have come across one another in the deep of the night. One now wonders whether the Tumbela male ran off because he is the weakest male of the trio and what could have happened if all three brothers were there when the Matimba arrived.
3 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

An old photo from 2007 of the Rollercoaster male
Image by: Nicole D'Anjou

4 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the two Mapogo sons (Othawa males)
Othawa T in Londolozi Game Reserve (2011)
This week the Ottawa male lions made an appearance amidst a Serengeti-like scene. This beautiful young male and his brother were found because some nearby giraffe were staring at them. There were also many zebra, wildebeest, 3 elephants, 200+ buffalo and a rhino in the scene around them. The terrain was too open for them to consider any hunting in the daytime, however.
Image by: Talley Smith

5 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2020, 11:24 PM by Tr1x24 )

(11-15-2020, 05:51 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: [url=

][video

If im not mistaken HB chased Scar Tumbela, Dulini calling him the "weakest" of the 3 is not true, yes, he might be quite skinny, but he is the most dominant of the 3 (first mated with each Othawa lionesses), biggest of the 3 and prob their leader..

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Great video of 2 young Mhangeni lionesses, only survivors of "Mhangeni 12":

2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-15-2020, 11:22 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 05:51 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: [url=

][video

If im not mistaken HB chased Scar Tumbela, Dulini calling him the "weakest" of the 3 is not true, yes, he might be quite skinny, but he is the most dominant of the 3 (first mated with each Othawa lionesses), biggest of the 3 and prob their leader..

Most recently other Tumbela male was seen mating with Sassy and it was most likely his that was scared off by HB. 

2 users Like Potato's post

Gijima Offline

I think this was the incident right?

3 users Like Gijima's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-16-2020, 12:38 AM)Potato Wrote: Most recently other Tumbela male was seen mating with Sassy and it was most likely his that was scared off by HB. 

That makes sense then.

South Africa Slayerd Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-16-2020, 02:33 AM by Slayerd )

(11-14-2020, 07:28 PM)Potato Wrote: "A really interesting information by Robin a ranger of MalaMala about size between S.Avoca and N.Avoca."

I can't see that comparison in your post :/

"Still scared of the two legendary Gowrie males"

They probably just mean that Avocas are scared to try to expand on Birminghams territory, not knowing that Avocas in fact already expanded, just in other direction. Southern Avocas now have 3 prides under their control so they should be very content with it.
It's not surprising to hear that the Southern Avocas are afraid of the Bboys. They have never put pressure to gain any advantage over the Bboys. The Bboys have only ever chased them. In 2017, the 2 current remaining Bboys, Nhenha and Tinyo chased them off a meal and eventually they were pushed out. Last year the Bboys roared inside their territory and apparently they were only 1km apart and 5th didn't respond. So the Southern Avocas have built no confidence against them in any manner. As far as the Southern Avocas know, the Bboys are the 2 Big Men that chased them. Actually I think all coalitions surrounding are aware of the Bboys and their reputation. They've chased or encountered them all at least once. Until any of them put pressure and gain confidence and then actually have an up close encounter they win in, they will always fear the Bboys. That's how Lion dynamics work.
1 user Likes Slayerd's post

Gijima Offline

(11-16-2020, 12:55 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 12:38 AM)Potato Wrote: Most recently other Tumbela male was seen mating with Sassy and it was most likely his that was scared off by HB. 

That makes sense then.

It was definitely Scar Tumbela. Just saw the video from Savannah more closely. It looks like he ate most of the kill, so makes sense why he didn’t want to fight. It’s the first good quality video I’ve seen of these males, and this Tumbela honestly looks a lot worse than I remember (his back legs and running without putting any weight on that injured foot). But if Buddy and HB are surviving in their condition, hopefully this guy can bounce back too.
5 users Like Gijima's post