There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

Folks, I just deleted two posts, which were discussing the long winded discussion that was put to rest a couple of posts back. As happened one other time recently, I will remind everyone again, if one of the Mods politely asks that a conversation be taken to PMs, then I would ask that everyone please adhere to that. Just as with the other recent incident, I do not believe there was any malicious intent, but, if these things continue to happen, us Mods may be forced into taking an action, such as a temp banning, or watchlist, which I can promise everyone, we do not want to do.

May we now move on with the lions discussion, thank you!
6 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(08-29-2024, 01:08 AM)NLAL11 Wrote:
(08-28-2024, 10:58 PM)afortich Wrote: Queen Tsalala got a meal.

Expert kudu hunter, just like her mother. Hopefully she got to keep the meal.

Agree my friend @NLAL11. As a solo lioness, she was trained by mom to know what prays to hunt for herself.
2 users Like afortich's post

KM600 Offline

7 users Like KM600's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

(08-29-2024, 07:26 AM)afortich Wrote:
(08-29-2024, 01:08 AM)NLAL11 Wrote:
(08-28-2024, 10:58 PM)afortich Wrote: Queen Tsalala got a meal.

Expert kudu hunter, just like her mother. Hopefully she got to keep the meal.

Agree my friend @NLAL11. As a solo lioness, she was trained by mom to know what prays to hunt for herself.

Absolutely. I still remember that clip of her (I think it was a Mala Mala video) taking down that zebra foal, while her mother chased off the zebra mother. She can't have been more than two years old. But a kudu is a great meal even for a few lions, so when her youngsters are bigger, she'll have no problem feeding them as well. She learned from the best.

It's sad that her mother is gone, but hopefully this girl is her legacy.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

Back in Sabi?

7 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Ngonya Offline

(08-29-2024, 05:48 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Back in Sabi?
Singita /Londolozi
2 users Like Ngonya's post

Canada Robot00 Offline

(08-29-2024, 02:06 PM)KM600 Wrote:

To me his life story is the biggest what if. He is a such big stocky guy. If he had a mane like his torchwood brother he'd be massive and fierce looking like the pcm.

The what if part is, what if his styx boy had not passed because of a stupid freak accident. The styx boy seemed quite big too, he had a nice mane like torchwood. If he was still around he'd be aggressor and muscle leading this lover boy Nkuhuma controlling lands and prides.

Unfortunately reality has not been kind for this loverboy in term of stability and king hood
2 users Like Robot00's post

Canada Robot00 Offline

These kambula boys are a head scratcher for me. They are my "wtf" story. I had really high hopes for them. They're now in the prime of their lives and there are four of them but yet still "nomadic".

Of all the bboys sons only TYM and two slightly older KYM are established but we dont often get news on them
3 users Like Robot00's post

Rui Ferreira Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-29-2024, 07:37 PM by Rui Ferreira )

(08-29-2024, 07:11 PM)Robot00 Wrote:
(08-29-2024, 02:06 PM)KM600 Wrote:

To me his life story is the biggest what if. He is a such big stocky guy. If he had a mane like his torchwood brother he'd be massive and fierce looking like the pcm.

The what if part is, what if his styx boy had not passed because of a stupid freak accident. The styx boy seemed quite big too, he had a nice mane like torchwood. If he was still around he'd be aggressor and muscle leading this lover boy Nkuhuma controlling lands and prides.

Unfortunately reality has not been kind for this loverboy in term of stability and king hood

I mean he still has plenty to live, you can also see his life history so far as a breath of fresh air from all the lions historys we got like: 
"Born into a pride, around 2 to 4 leave the pride, become nomadic and become a dominant male of one or more prides at the age of 5 to 9 sire some cubs but than a coalition of lions come and dethrone him etc..."
He is living a quite good life in general terms, he never seems to be beaten up, always in good shape, making bonds with many lions around the reserve and mating with some lionesses here and there
Its not just by luck that he reached this age ( what % of lions even reach 8 years old ?) and still we can see him become territorial and take a pride for himself due to him always being in good shape and not injured plus being a big boy
His half brothers the Kambulas are somewhat like that too they dont seem in a rush to take a pride and become territorial, they seem to rather live and alternative lifestyle than we are used to wild male lions 
And there is nothing wrong with that ( not saying you claimed that ) it just different lions with different personalities giving us different historys because in the end of the day the only thing they have to prove something to is themselfs
To sumarize I dont think his story is anywhere near to finishing, he can still do in 3/4 years what dominant males couldnt in 6/7 years

KM600 Offline

They’ve been back here for a while now, seen a lot around EP. I think the last time they went into Manyeleti was during that altercation with RRM. Returned shortly after that tho.
4 users Like KM600's post

KM600 Offline

Adding onto my post on NK and Khanya, in the next few days it will be a whole two months since these boys united. I’m not saying this partnership will work, we all know how it usually goes with NK, but I think it’s time we start to see them as another coalition.
2 users Like KM600's post

Mapokser Online
Contributor

Same happened with Skorro and Tumbela.

We have to wait and see what will happen when one of the territorial coalitions attacks them, if they get separated in a chase, or worse, Talamati is caught, NK will likely abandon him.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

KM600 Offline

(08-29-2024, 10:08 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Same happened with Skorro and Tumbela.

We have to wait and see what will happen when one of the territorial coalitions attacks them, if they get separated in a chase, or worse, Talamati is caught, NK will likely abandon him.

I agree. They seem to move around much smarter than NK and Tumbela did, fortunately, and I think NK has a greater bond to Khanya than he did to Skorro Orpen. As much as I have my doubts, I really do hope NK makes this work.
1 user Likes KM600's post

United States Friarfan619 Offline

Don't know if you're familiar with the addo males?? 1 was caught the other returned but was chased off by another.  How do we know this isn't what nkuhuma has done?? If nkuhuma is caught no guarantee Khanya defend him??
1 user Likes Friarfan619's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(08-30-2024, 12:07 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote:

Don't know if you're familiar with the addo males?? 1 was caught the other returned but was chased off by another.  How do we know this isn't what nkuhuma has done?? If nkuhuma is caught no guarantee Khanya defend him??

You're right my friend @Friarfan619, it is hard to predict what Khanya would do if NYK is caught despite the fact that I'm under the impression that Khanya is very tough fighter.
1 user Likes afortich's post