There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-30-2021, 04:04 PM by Brahim )

3 Mazithi/Tshokwane males fathered by the 3 Mazithi males. Seen today on Tshokwane bridge.

Credit: Leigh-Ann Mitchley Aingworth

Attached Files Image(s)

8 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Smudge and bro together by fu Manchu.

And smudge by HendrikenTilene Viljoen. He saw them last week said they looked good.

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like Brahim's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-30-2021, 03:51 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: 3 Mazithi/Tshokwane males fathered by the 3 Mazithi males. Seen today on Tshokwane bridge.

So these 3 where seen at Rhino Post Safari Lodge and near Skukuza on H1-2 recently:

*This image is copyright of its original author
8 users Like Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-30-2021, 11:38 PM by lionuk )

One of the five Gomondwane males (pictured May 2021) who established a territory along the S28 and Crocodile Bridge where they took over the Vurhami pride from the Shishangeni male lions. As currently the biggest coalition in southern Kruger they’re now between 7 and 8 years old and thus in their prime.
Photo credit: Frank Weitsz

6 users Like lionuk's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

I did a drive in Kruger, it started off with a beautiful lioness on the S28, another lioness close to Lower Sabie. It couldn't get any better, could it?  Well we  decided to turn onto the S128, as we came around the corner I nearly drove into a lion running at full speed. Behind him were two other males chasing him, he bolted passed us and I waited for the other two so that I could turn around and follow them. As I got to them again the other male was gone and these two were roaring profusely and marking the bushes. Another older male with deep scars joined them a few minutes later where they retreated into the bush and disappeared in the long grass. It was such a thrilling moment and I could hardly contain my excitement, the shaky videos will show this later.

Question: Isn't one of these males Big boy Charleston?
Images by: Stef Botha Photography

7 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-30-2021, 11:46 PM)Timbavati Wrote: I did a drive in Kruger, it started off with a beautiful lioness on the S28, another lioness close to Lower Sabie. It couldn't get any better, could it?  Well we  decided to turn onto the S128, as we came around the corner I nearly drove into a lion running at full speed. Behind him were two other males chasing him, he bolted passed us and I waited for the other two so that I could turn around and follow them. As I got to them again the other male was gone and these two were roaring profusely and marking the bushes. Another older male with deep scars joined them a few minutes later where they retreated into the bush and disappeared in the long grass. It was such a thrilling moment and I could hardly contain my excitement, the shaky videos will show this later.

Definitely not Charleston Big Boy.

But no idea who these guys are, @Brahimlegend any ideas? They dont look like 3 Lower Sabi males.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-31-2021, 03:34 AM by Brahim )

@Tr1x24 unknown males. Big on wild saw the two young guys on h10 last year but doesn’t know where they came from . Old guy big on wild said he thinks is 1/3 males around mlondozi between 2018-2020, but he never saw them to confirm this. The older male was once seen earlier this year by Luca cigalla, but old guy wasn’t with the two young guys before. But good to see new blood, old guy looks like he’s been in some wars. Least we know them now and they should be easy to tell.

Picture of the young males last year by big on wild

Attached Files Image(s)

4 users Like Brahim's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-31-2021, 05:04 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-31-2021, 03:33 AM)Brahimlegend Wrote: @Tr1x24 unknown males. Big on wild saw the two young guys on h10 last year but doesn’t know where they came from . Old guy big on wild said he thinks is 1/3 males around mlondozi between 2018-2020, but he never saw them to confirm this. The older male was once seen earlier this year by Luca cigalla, but old guy wasn’t with the two young guys before. But good to see new blood, old guy looks like he’s been in some wars. Least we know them now and they should be easy to tell.

Picture of the young males last year by big on wild

It looks like they where chasing Dark Maned Mazithi male, brother of Smudge :

Photo Credits : Stef Botha

Male #1 (recognizeble by scared ear)

Male #2

Older male

Dont know if they are dominant already, but they certaintly are trying to establish themselves in the area, maybe even trying to oust Mazithis..

How would we call them for ID? S128 or H10 males?
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

8 users Like lionuk's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Handsome Mo Vurhami seen on the S25. 27 May 2021

9 users Like lionuk's post

Pakistan Blacksmith Offline
New Join

He needs a coalition partner to establish himself as a dominant male.
2 users Like Blacksmith's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-31-2021, 10:03 PM by Brahim )

@Tr1x24 I’m not sure if that is darkmane , I can’t match nothing and ear looks different. Can you find anything?

Maybe s128 males because Graeme Mitchley saw two nomads in February that were called h10 males . These guys. And they were seen a month later by Tamysn du toit

Attached Files Image(s)

6 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Biggest of the 3 Lower Sabie males.
Credit: Alan Stephenson

Attached Files Image(s)

8 users Like Brahim's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-31-2021, 09:58 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: @Tr1x24 I’m not sure if that is darkmane , I can’t match nothing and ear looks different. Can you find anything?

Maybe s128 males because Graeme Mitchley saw two nomads in February that were called h10 males . These guys. And they were seen a month later by Tamysn du toit
Reply$(document).ready(function() {
quick_quote(146032,'Brahimlegend',1622480317);
});

Attached FilesImage(s)

Well i assume its Dark Mane because of location, i took a closer look and it seems you are right, ear looks kinda different..

If its further north on s128, it might be 1 of Fourways males, maybe dark maned one, Leeupan area is close to northern s128.

These 2 H10 boys are this ones right? :

Seen on s128 near H10, also with older male, at the very end of 2020.

This is starting to get really confusing, a lot of new young males and coalitions around, i think we need to make a threat for lion indetification.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(05-31-2021, 10:22 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: This is starting to get really confusing, a lot of new young males and coalitions around, i think we need to make a threat for lion indetification.
That actually would be very helpfull indeed.
3 users Like Potato's post