There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage

Romania Cath2020 Offline

Wow, just saw the footage from 4/30!  They are much bigger than their mom now!  Big boys.  They were even trying to run away with the kill, but their mom would have none of it.  She kept hanging on as they were dragging it away, lol!  The one to the left of her, closer to the camera, was a lot bigger already!

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(05-23-2024, 05:32 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: I'm so glad.  She was a great first time mom and a lone lioness at that!  Yes, she will be alone again after her 2 sons leave, but her legacy will live on in other prides if they are successful.  Plus, she's young enough to have a few more more litters as they were her first.

Wasn't she sick, and limping really badly, or do I have her mixed up with a different lioness?

Romania Cath2020 Offline

Yes, I think I recall that she was not supposedly doing well, many wondering if she had lost one or both of her sons....But I guess we all underestimated her.  She recovered and her sons were hidden, I guess.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(05-24-2024, 02:41 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Yes, I think I recall that she was not supposedly doing well, many wondering if she had lost one or both of her sons....But I guess we all underestimated her.  She recovered and her sons were hidden, I guess.

One tough lioness, as I recall it, she was in really bad shape, to the point that people were beginning to write her off. Incredible that she is still with us.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

Oh, could the dream become reality?  What a story that would be.  We'd easily go 4 pages on that alone!!!

10 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Friarfan619 Offline

Would Mohawk even recognize him?? He wasn't super thrilled with Dm a couple times
3 users Like Friarfan619's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

His sons definitly  wouldnt know him and I doubt they are interested in adding another struggling older lion to the group.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-25-2024, 12:32 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-25-2024, 10:03 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Would Mohawk even recognize him?? He wasn't super thrilled with Dm a couple times

Last time they interacted was 7-8 yrs ago.

No, he would not recognize him as his brother, both guys never even saw each others as full adults.

Some say they might recognize familiar scent, but thats also questionable after being away from each others for ~80% of their lives.

Even if he does (lets say for example), to lions, family lineage doesnt mean a lot, its more about group in which they currently live, then blood.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

Hence, why I used the word DREAM.
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Lions have an entire organ dedicated to analyzing the scents of other lions. So if given a good sample he will likely recognize him. 

But indeed, lions dont care if you are long lost family. The two Avocas might aswell be meeting eachother for the very first time.

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

I am not sure of how well lions' smelling organ works, I am sure it is works incredibly well, but their memories are something very different. In dogs, for instance, their short term memory (their functioning memory, the thing that keeps them on the task at hand) is around 3 seconds, meaning if you are going to correct your dog, you have three seconds to do it in, or else they will not know what they are being corrected for. That is one reason dogs are so easily distracted, and rarely ever go back to the task they were doing when they got distracted, such as playing with a toy, get distracted by something, and they don't return to the toy. How long the memory of a lion is, both short term and long term memory, is something I am not sure anyone really knows.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Thats more becouse the dog associated the punishment with the current activity and tend to be easily distracted. Not becouse it forgot the previous activity.

Any animal has enough of a long term memory to last a life time. Provided the subject left enough of an impact. As has been demonstrated plenty of times.

Ttimemarti Offline

Hmm quick question how long was darkmane away when he met Mohawk and he wasn’t happy about it?
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(05-25-2024, 09:10 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Hmm quick question how long was darkmane away when he met Mohawk and he wasn’t happy about it?

Growing up in the pride Mohawk was possibly the youngest boy so he had to be extra aggressive (Mr T was in similar position) to compete. Fast forward and once Dark Mane broke his foot Mohawk was about to finally be the dominant one. Dark mane was most dominant when they first met the talamatis and most if not all the cubs were his. Mohawk and Blondie wanted more mating opportunities with the Nkuhumas and so didn’t want DM around as competition. DM had a great bond with the talamatis so he healed pretty well but was content being a lone dominant male. His son Dwizhala used to patrol with him. Eventually the brothers just grew apart. After Blondie died Mohawk was really missing a brother/partner and did pair back up with Dark Mane! One of the happiest days of having Mohawk and DM reunited slashed with DM getting smashed by buffalos. Poor Mohawk was very depressed after this…so glad he has a great relationship with his sons. (The older nkuhumas cubs were mostly DM and blondes and all the younger ones are most likely all Mohawks.)
I think he (southern avoca) possibly might be recognized but I doubt S avoca will approach a coalition of 4 big lions. Maybe if they meet on a big kill…who knows but fun to theorize about.
4 users Like GhostCatP-22's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(05-25-2024, 09:39 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:
(05-25-2024, 09:10 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Hmm quick question how long was darkmane away when he met Mohawk and he wasn’t happy about it?

Growing up in the pride Mohawk was possibly the youngest boy so he had to be extra aggressive (Mr T was in similar position) to compete. Fast forward and once Dark Mane broke his foot Mohawk was about to finally be the dominant one. Dark mane was most dominant when they first met the talamatis and most if not all the cubs were his. Mohawk and Blondie wanted more mating opportunities with the Nkuhumas and so didn’t want DM around as competition. DM had a great bond with the talamatis so he healed pretty well but was content being a lone dominant male. His son Dwizhala used to patrol with him. Eventually the brothers just grew apart. After Blondie died Mohawk was really missing a brother/partner and did pair back up with Dark Mane! One of the happiest days of having Mohawk and DM reunited slashed with DM getting smashed by buffalos. Poor Mohawk was very depressed after this…so glad he has a great relationship with his sons. (The older nkuhumas cubs were mostly DM and blondes and all the younger ones are most likely all Mohawks.)
I think he (southern avoca) possibly might be recognized but I doubt S avoca will approach a coalition of 4 big lions. Maybe if they meet on a big kill…who knows but fun to theorize about.

Great response!