There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(08-15-2017, 11:44 PM)Rishi Wrote: @epaiva 
I did some searching on it before.
All that i know is Gir has sloth bears. How many??..No idea.
Even if you Google it, you won't find images or sighting reports of sloth bears in Gir. It's very... confusing, to say the least.
35% leopard and sloth bear population close to human habitation

"The officials said that while it was the search of small animals like dogs which was leading leopards out, in the case of sloth bears it was the illegal honey combing by humans and increasing human pressure which were driving them out of the sanctuaries."

http://girasiaticlion.blogspot.com/2016/...ation.html
3 users Like Pckts's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-16-2017, 06:45 PM by Rishi )

(08-16-2017, 12:16 AM)Pckts Wrote:
Even if you Google it, you won't find images or sighting reports of sloth bears in Gir. It's very... confusing, to say the least.

"The officials said that while it was the search of small animals like dogs which was leading leopards out, in the case of sloth bears it was the illegal honey combing by humans and increasing human pressure which were driving them out of the sanctuaries."

That talks about whole Gujarat.. not just Gir. There are multiple other Sloth-bear stronghold in the state, especially the Arravalli foothills & Sajhyadri-Satpura ranges.

BUT TO THIS DAY I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIND A PHOTO OF A BEAR CLICKED IN GIR!!! It's very confusing to say the least....
5 users Like Rishi's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(08-16-2017, 12:23 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 12:16 AM)Pckts Wrote:

That talks about whole Gujarat.. not just Gir. There are multiple other Sloth-bear stronghold in the state, especially the Arravalli foothills & Sajhyadri-Satpura ranges.

BUT TO THIS DAY I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIND A PHOTO OF A BEAR CLICKED IN GIR!!!..

Gir may not be desirable habitat for the sloth but the Leopard population is strong there.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Canada Wolverine Away

I have doubts that there are any sloth bears in Gir, this information about 300 bears probably is valid only for other parts of Gujarat, its a big state. Many years ago I got one document from Gir authorities and for sure there were not a sloth bears in the list. But there are many-many-many leopards there, I have personally see one of them back in the 90-s. Don't think that sloth bears have a big chance to survive among lion prides with this extra dense population of lions in Gir, lions are not solitary animals as tigers. If there are any sloth bears in Gir they are probably very few a live in the distant areas.
5 users Like Wolverine's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-16-2017, 06:55 PM by Rishi )

(08-16-2017, 03:08 AM)Wolverine Wrote: I have doubts that there are any sloth bears in Gir, this information about 300 bears probably is valid only for other parts of Gujarat, its a big state. Many years ago I got one document from Gir authorities and for sure there were not a sloth bears in the list. But there are many-many-many leopards there, I have personally see one of them back in the 90-s. Don't think that sloth bears have a big chance to survive among lion prides with this extra dense population of lions in Gir, lions are not solitary animals as tigers. If there are any sloth bears in Gir they are probably very few a live in the distant areas.

Ok, problem solved...I'd messaged on FB Yogendra Shah himself (some half of world's asiatic lions' pics are courtesied to him) & here's his reply.

*This image is copyright of its original author

@epaiva My appologies. Sorry for providing wrong data, i usually verify everything. Clearly all the other sites had copied from Wikipedia...
7 users Like Rishi's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(08-16-2017, 06:38 PM)Rishi Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 03:08 AM)Wolverine Wrote: I have doubts that there are any sloth bears in Gir, this information about 300 bears probably is valid only for other parts of Gujarat, its a big state. Many years ago I got one document from Gir authorities and for sure there were not a sloth bears in the list. But there are many-many-many leopards there, I have personally see one of them back in the 90-s. Don't think that sloth bears have a big chance to survive among lion prides with this extra dense population of lions in Gir, lions are not solitary animals as tigers. If there are any sloth bears in Gir they are probably very few a live in the distant areas.

Ok, problem solved...I'd messaged on FB Yogendra Shah himself (some half of world's asiatic lions' pics are courtesied to him) & here's his reply.

@epaiva My appologies. Sorry for providing wrong data, i usually verify everything. Clearly all the other sites had copied from Wikipedia...
@Rishi  Thanks a lot for the information
2 users Like epaiva's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-19-2019, 01:03 PM by Rishi )

This might be a bit long.
(08-14-2017, 10:46 AM)Wolverine Wrote: Rishi, what do you think, taking into account current prey base and quantity of homeless cattle in Gujarat what is the maximal number of lions Gujarat could feed nowadays - 600, 700, 1000 ? Do you think lions can colonise all territory of that Indian state eating just domestic cattle or that's not enough?

It's not cattle that'll be the deciding factor.
For starters, as per H.S.Singh's study- "..Gir had never supported more than 300 lion in its entire history of atleast 120yrs.."

I believe you know that today, lions are spread over an area of 20000+ km².

BUT...The protected areas of 1500km² Gir & 500km² Girnar and another ±500km² of patchy, fragmented, unprotected woods & scrublands of high human disturbance houses almost 450 of those lions. (Source)
That means 70% of the total population is squeezed in only 10% of their habitat range!!! The other 90% of area house the rest 30%.

Yes, scenes like these are increasingly common in southern Kathiawar.

But that's NOT how/where they live....

They try and seek out landscapes remotely similar to their natural home.
Like this lemon grove...

..or this rocky outcrops that has no reason to be frequented by man.

They are shy-ish & live a much more nocturnal lifestyle, when they venture out of their strongholds to nearby farms and fields to hunt stray animals (or if lucky, crop raiding deers & pigs) or lift cattle...or maybe cross a town.

Combination of census & remotesensing data, show that the lions' range is not continuous. They form local isolated metapopulations at less inhabited areas like scrubs & coastal forests. The areas in between serves as mere corridors. 
The following map shows the old (2010) & expanded lion ranges (2015)...

Now hopefully they'll someday reach the Mangroves to the east (200 km²) & Barda Wildlife Sanctuary (300 km²) to the west..marked in map.
That might give them a BIG boost, but the numbers would come to a halt at a certain number.

Because beyond that, there is no place to expand further east. The natural patches are too far & too few, with the industrial complex one side and major ports on other. Even the farmlands are more fertile, more mechanically managed & almost never left fallow. 
Also, there are lot more people to the northeast, you can see two big cities to the northwest (red blots in map). All may not be well between lions & people... once urban/suburban populace come into picture.

But more on that later.
9 users Like Rishi's post

Canada Wolverine Away

Thank you for your informative answer Rishi! So you think there is no potential habitat for lions outside Khatiawar peninsula? What about Rann of Kutch, maybe local 4000 strong Indian wild ass population could feed several lion prides?

The problem is that the more lions move to the North and closely to Pakistan, Rajastan and Madhya Pradesh territories the more Gujarat authorities will become nervous...in the moment the lions start closely approaching borders of other Indian states among the sick brains of the burocrats in Gujarat Forest Department will start real craze.... and if a couple of lions unexpectedly
cross the administrative borders of Gujarat that of course is gonna be a total national humiliation and disgrace for the Gujarati nation.... so probably those poor lions will be proclaimed as state "enemies" and traitors...
3 users Like Wolverine's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-18-2017, 06:26 PM by Rishi )

On the buffer area of Gir, a lioness was stalking a herd of Jaffrabadi buffalo (<DO VISIT THAT) crossing the forest. All of a sudden a big male charged at her followed by the whole herd, completely ignoring the two shepherds, as old instincts kicked in & the lioness ran for her life. Filmed by safari-bound tourists...
6 users Like Rishi's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

I got this image from FB, Showing 2 famous Lion brother from Gir.
Asiatic male lion
9 users Like sanjay's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(10-03-2017, 01:02 AM)Ysanjay Wrote: I got this image from FB, Showing 2 famous Lion brother from Gir.

They look great
2 users Like epaiva's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators

(10-03-2017, 01:02 AM)sanjay Wrote: I got this image from FB, Showing 2 famous Lion brother from Gir.

Image was taken by Kano Jetpur. Here's the original...

5 users Like Rishi's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-03-2017, 06:25 AM by epaiva )

@Rishi

Very good video of Buffalos attacking the Lioness in number #333, in the Venezuelan Llanos and in the Pantanal in Brazil they are using Buffalos that look a lot like the ones you see in the video to defend the cattle from attacks of Jaguars and Pumas, they help a lot they are doing great.
9 users Like epaiva's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-07-2017, 07:52 PM by Rishi )

@epaiva The Jaffrabadi breed of buffalo, native to Greater Gir region, have been selectively-bred to be large & scary (or ugly, the two go hand-in-hand) just so that they can hold their own against lions.

They are the largest domesticated buffalo in the world.
This is how big males can get.

Lions do take some though...

Quote:Spotted a buffalo skull spiked on a vertical stick; my guide said it was killed by four lions together and he was witness. Quite a sight it was, with one lion holding the legs while another grabbed the flailing victim by the throat.

..even the largest ones, while they're asleep in their pens.

However, call it a twist of fate, most poor herders at Gir can't afford them. They have other smaller breeds or hybrid ones...

8 users Like Rishi's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-08-2017, 06:22 AM by epaiva )

(10-07-2017, 07:49 PM)Rishi Wrote: @epaiva The Jaffrabadi breed of buffalo, native to Greater Gir region, have been selectively-bred to be large & scary (or ugly, the two go hand-in-hand) just so that they can hold their own against lions.

They are the largest domesticated buffalo in the world.
This is how big males can get.

Lions do take some though...

Quote:Spotted a buffalo skull spiked on a vertical stick; my guide said it was killed by four lions together and he was witness. Quite a sight it was, with one lion holding the legs while another grabbed the flailing victim by the throat.

..even the largest ones, while they're asleep in their pens.

However, call it a twist of fate, most poor herders at Gir can't afford them. They have other smaller breeds or hybrid ones...

@Rishi                                                                                              
  Thanks a lot for your valuable information, those Buffalos are huge and powerful.
1 user Likes epaiva's post