There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

5 users Like Rage2277's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-15-2023, 01:03 AM by Ashutosh )

Muscular forearms on this young Asiatic male:

8 users Like Ashutosh's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

*This image is copyright of its original author
gir brothers
5 users Like Rage2277's post

Italy Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Very didactic small video I just come to discover: why should it be a second home for the Asiatic lions in India, and this away from the Gir home ? Explanations by the lion biologist Dr. Ravi Chellam.

5 users Like Spalea's post

BigLion39 Offline

Great video and explains a lot! They're doing a great job. Massai Mara should take notes.
3 users Like BigLion39's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

I hope they can get another are besides Gir soon.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Ngonya Offline

@Rishi Sorry to bother, but I wanted to ask you if the lions in Gir NP are named and reported regularly like the African ones (in Sabi Sand, Masai Mara, etc.). If so, what is the most famous coalition there?
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

India Hello Offline

female, 158 kg
male, 174 kg

https://thebigcatsanctuary.org/cats/sahee/
https://thebigcatsanctuary.org/cats/sonika/
2 users Like Hello's post

Italy Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Ngonya 

You asked : " @Rishi Sorry to bother, but I wanted to ask you if the lions in Gir NP are named and reported regularly like the African ones (in Sabi Sand, Masai Mara, etc.). If so, what is the most famous coalition there? "

The pride organisation of the Asiatic lions isn't the same compared with the African big parks ones. At first they are smaller (because the denser vegetation of the biotop. Indeed we speak about the Gir forest and not savannah), then the males hold their territory but aren't as present. And at last the Asiatic lions are living close to the human settlements. So close that their behaviour in wild are deeply modified, at night they go venture into the village in the hope of finding a carrion having so an easy meal and so on. Nothing comparable with the African lions among which the big males are often featured, almost starified. In short their life isn't as tremendous.
3 users Like Spalea's post

Ngonya Offline

(09-29-2023, 02:39 PM)Spalea Wrote: @Ngonya 

You asked : " @Rishi Sorry to bother, but I wanted to ask you if the lions in Gir NP are named and reported regularly like the African ones (in Sabi Sand, Masai Mara, etc.). If so, what is the most famous coalition there? "

The pride organisation of the Asiatic lions isn't the same compared with the African big parks ones. At first they are smaller (because the denser vegetation of the biotop. Indeed  we speak about the Gir forest and not savannah), then the males hold their territory but aren't as present. And at last the Asiatic lions are living close to the human settlements. So close that their behaviour in wild are deeply modified, at night they go venture into the village in the hope of finding a carrion having so an easy meal and so on. Nothing comparable with the African lions among which the big males are often featured, almost starified. In short their life isn't as tremendous.

I appreciate your explanation and response. Thank you for your attention
2 users Like Ngonya's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor

@Spalea, the lions that command the areas of Gir and Girnar (which have abundant prey) don’t go out looking for domestic animals. They tend to stay within the forest and only move out during the rains. I have personally never seen an Asiatic coalition of more than 3 males. This has also something to do with the prey size (as compared to Africa).
5 users Like Ashutosh's post

Ngonya Offline

(09-30-2023, 01:01 AM)Ashutosh Wrote: @Spalea, the lions that command the areas of Gir and Girnar (which have abundant prey) don’t go out looking for domestic animals. They tend to stay within the forest and only move out during the rains. I have personally never seen an Asiatic coalition of more than 3 males. This has also something to do with the prey size (as compared to Africa).
rare coalitions of 3 asiatic lions, previously posted on this thread...

1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Italy Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Ashutosh 

You told at #2158: " @Spalea, the lions that command the areas of Gir and Girnar (which have abundant prey) don’t go out looking for domestic animals. They tend to stay within the forest and only move out during the rains. I have personally never seen an Asiatic coalition of more than 3 males. This has also something to do with the prey size (as compared to Africa). "

Yes, agree with you, I think that, in the historic core of the Gir park, only the forest absolutely prevails and within it the lions are 100% hunting wild preys. Nevertheless their population being constantly increasing they try to expand in the vicinities of the forest, and from that interactions with human settlements quickly start. When a 200 lions populations were living in the "pure" forest of Gir park, they clearly were dependant of their natural preys (nigaults, sambar, boars...) but now how many are they now ? 600, 700, 800 ? Thus the majority of them are being forced to find easy preys among the herds of domestic livestock.

No coalition of more than 3 males ? Yes, that is what I said: the competition between prides isn't as intensiv as in the African big parks, and this by far.
2 users Like Spalea's post

Italy Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

I wrote at #2158: " No coalition of more than 3 males ? Yes, that is what I said: the competition between prides isn't as intensiv as in the African big parks, and this by far. "

Big error, I was totally wrong because it reminds me the story of Bado. One male which was very wounded after a hard fight. the skin of half of its face was totally pulled off and I was deeply amazed to see how it could have been recovered a fit form. A very very tough guy !

3 users Like Spalea's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(09-30-2023, 03:44 PM)Spalea Wrote: I wrote at #2158: " No coalition of more than 3 males ? Yes, that is what I said: the competition between prides isn't as intensiv as in the African big parks, and this by far. "

Big error, I was totally wrong because it reminds me the story of Bado. One male which was very wounded after a hard fight. the skin of half of its face was totally pulled off and I was deeply amazed to see how it could have been recovered a fit form. A very very tough guy !

They are doing a great job in their efforts to help the Asiatic Lions recover their population. Their numbers had gotten frighteningly low.
2 users Like BA0701's post