There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Couple on the road...

4 users Like Spalea's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-13-2020, 11:47 AM by Rishi )

©Aamir Khatri

*This image is copyright of its original author

©Sohil Makvana

Jaydeep Dave ·
World Lions Day Pic was taken in the year 1990 in Gir Forest ....

Someone had a really bad night... ©K'rn Vagh at Kovaya.

7 users Like Rishi's post

Wildanimal Lover

Licking its paws...

4 users Like Spalea's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@Rishi 

It is a wonderful thing observing asiatic lions improving in real time . All of those lions look in great shape.
5 users Like Lycaon's post

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-14-2020, 09:42 AM by Sanju )

@Rishi 
The landscape looks more like Africa. The ungulate also seems to be an African antelope. I think lions physical features also are not asian.
3 users Like Sanju's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-14-2020, 10:47 AM by Rishi )

(08-14-2020, 09:39 AM)Sanju Wrote:

@Rishi 
The landscape looks more like Africa. The ungulate also seems to be an African antelope. I think lions physical features also are not asian.
Unlikely, the photographer is prety famous semi-professional & has only 1 Africa trip in 2018 & this photo is from 2015. As a source he's very reliable too.

I don't know how you can tell the rest by looking at the bushes & lion's butts, lol. But it's most likely a young chital male. The horn silhouette don't match with sambar.
2 users Like Rishi's post

Wildanimal Lover

Tapan Sheth: " Monsoon magic "

3 users Like Spalea's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-14-2020, 05:27 PM by Rage2277 )

(08-14-2020, 10:26 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 09:39 AM)Sanju Wrote:

@Rishi 
Unlikely, the photographer is prety famous semi-professional & has only 1 Africa trip in 2018 & this photo is from 2015. As a source he's very reliable too.

I don't know how you can tell the rest by looking at the bushes & lion's butts, lol. But it's most likely a young chital male. The horn silhouette don't match with sambar.

the herbivore looks like a heartbeast..looks like an area in the masai mara seeing the types of trees,could tell those lionesses are african too even from that angle
3 users Like Rage2277's post

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-15-2020, 09:06 AM by Sanju )

(08-14-2020, 05:25 PM)Rage2277 Wrote: looks like an area in the masai mara
Yeah exactly. Terrain is certainly not Gir and vegetation type is like African scrub-land.

(08-14-2020, 10:26 AM)Rishi Wrote: don't know how you can tell the rest by looking at the bushes & lion's butts, lol
Bushes ? yeah ! butts ? not at all !!! lol Laughing Laughing Laughing
The nape region similar to African lionesses. Its entirely my opinion not stating anything.
1 user Likes Sanju's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-15-2020, 10:17 AM by Rishi )

(08-14-2020, 05:25 PM)Rage2277 Wrote: could tell those lionesses are african too even from that angle
(08-15-2020, 09:00 AM)Sanju Wrote: The nape region similar to African lionesses. Its entirely my opinion not stating anything.

Ok. I see.

Can you guys elaborate a bit?.. I'd like to be able to do it too :3
3 users Like Rishi's post

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-15-2020, 12:20 PM by Sanju )

@Rishi
I think if we observe close some of the trees in there belong to

Ziziphus mucronata (buffalo thorn) native to south Africa.
I know we can't come to conclusion based on plant species looking similar.

I wish I could see a better zoomed image of that herbivore in the background, that will clear everything because no matter how hard I try Confused I cant see spots on that animal like a spotted deer !
3 users Like Sanju's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-16-2020, 02:35 AM by Rage2277 )

just a combination of different things,the tails ,coloration,the scenery,the antelope sealed it for me i thought it was a topi at first glance but they're much darker and i'm aware there are also heartbeast in that area aswell,that is without a doubt somewhere in the mara @Rishi
4 users Like Rage2277's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

I've gotta agree everything about that looks african, from the vegetation to the lions themselves. The herbivore looks like a red lechwe to me.
3 users Like Sully's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-16-2020, 06:51 AM by Balam )

I'm gonna give my two scents. The lionesses appear like African individuals to me just by looking at the dark coloration of their backs, the antelope looks more like lechwe as Sully said, hartebeest would have a longer face and smaller horns. But while I do think it's a lechwe I'm not 100% sure, it's hard to gage from the resolution of the picture.

EDIT: I think the antelope might actually be a hirola or some other related alcelaphine.
3 users Like Balam's post

Wildanimal Lover

From the city to the wild...

5 users Like Spalea's post