There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos

Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

(04-10-2020, 07:44 PM)Lycaon Wrote: @Spalea 

I can understand a little french. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome... From now, if I see a potentially interesting documentary in french, I will post it. And if you want to understand something you don't, don't hesitate to ask me.
3 users Like Spalea's post

Thierry Offline

Good news, thanks a lot Spalea
I can understand much better in french or german.
2 users Like Thierry's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

WILDLIFE PHOTOGRAPHY

Devraj looking muscular.

*This image is copyright of its original author
9 users Like Lycaon's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Jitendra Devmurari

Incredible photo of devraj

5 users Like Lycaon's post

Sanju Offline

4 users Like Sanju's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Ambardi male grooming his lioness .

" target="_blank" class="post_link">
6 users Like Lycaon's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-20-2020, 04:38 AM by Rage2277 )

5 users Like Rage2277's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-20-2020, 10:27 PM by Rishi )

3 users Like Rishi's post

Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Sandeep Parmar: " Heat me up! Ghora vada (Mating pair) "

2 users Like Spalea's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Vishal Gorad

Excellent Habitat photograph.

4 users Like Lycaon's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Not the best video but one gets to see the size of a wild lion .

6 users Like Lycaon's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(04-22-2020, 02:36 AM)Lycaon Wrote: Not the best video but one gets to see the size of a wild lion .

That lion is huge, I'm sure if these Indian lions had access to larger prey and habitat they would challenge certain African populations in size.
2 users Like Balam's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor

(04-22-2020, 02:43 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 02:36 AM)Lycaon Wrote: Not the best video but one gets to see the size of a wild lion .

That lion is huge, I'm sure if these Indian lions had access to larger prey and habitat they would challenge certain African populations in size.

At least in looks, they already do rival certain African lions, and a number of these happen to be close relatives of the Asiatic and Barbary lions, see my post in the main thread, and this thread of mine on Northeast, Central and Equatorial African lions. In fact, Sir Reginald Innes Pocock said in 1939 that the given measurements of Gir lions which he collected from others showed that they were "the same size approximately as Central African lions" (which may be of the Northern or Southern subspecies, respectively Panthera leo leo and Panthera leo melanochaita, depending on where exactly in Central Africa you're talking about, as explained in my thread).
2 users Like BorneanTiger's post

United States PacificOwl Offline
New Join
( This post was last modified: 04-22-2020, 01:38 PM by Rishi )

Definitely glad I found my way to this forum, its pretty exciting to see so many photos/footage of healthy wild lions in Gujarat.
Anyway I found some more recent studies published this year relevant to the ecology of Asiatic lions in Gujarat. 
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0229045

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0228374

http://worldwidejournals.org/index.php/gra/article/view/924/920
6 users Like PacificOwl's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-23-2020, 11:29 AM by Rishi )

Gujarat: Chotila boys in search for lioness?
Two young adult lions, had made Chobari grassland near Chotila their permanent home for the past 5 months. The lions entered Chotila range of Surendranagar forest division on November 19, 2019 via Hingolagadh Nature Education Sanctuary.

One of the lions feeds on a buffalo in Chotila range of Surendranagar district. (Photo courtesy: Gujarat FD) 

The 2 lions that had been camping in Chotila range in Surendranagar district since November 2019 moved towards Gir forest by April 15th. About 4-years-old now, they travelled approximately 140 kilometres for a week & reached Girnar Wildlife Sanctuary north of Gir forest on Sunday, confirmeed by S.K.Srivastava, chief conservator of forests of Junagadh territorial forest circle. 

Forest officers expect that the two carnivores may rejoin their prides, but it is suspected that their prides are not from that area. The two carnivores were originally from Babra in Amreli district, not from anywhere near Gir. The two males travelled north & explored grasslands in revenue areas of Chotila, going as far away as Doliya in neighbouring district of Surendranagar in the northeast and till Gondal in Rajkot in the west during their 6-month-long expedition, forest officers said.
The topography and ecology of Chotila range has a high degree of resemblance to Gir forest, they added.

One of the lions was radio-collared on December 3 and since then, the forest department had been receiving hourly updates on GPS location of the two carnivores. The lions reached Girnar Wildlife Sanctuary — an established habitat of Asiatic lions and is part of greater Gir landscape — near Junagadh city at around 7 am on Sunday, they said. Their location was traced near Mount Girnar.
The place where they have reached has a presence of at least 25-30 resident lions in the area.

After reaching Chotila, from Amreli at southeast, they did several short explorations towards Rajkot & Surendranagar.

The DCF Makwana said that that they could manage the two animals well during their stay in Surendranagar district. “There was no incident of direct man-animal conflict. We could sensitise and convince people… and farmers were even keeping water for the lions in their farms.” Only case in the last 6 months was reported from Keshvala village of Gondal on April 9 when they attacked a cattle-herder who sustained minor injuries.
The lions had preyed on 24 blue bulls and also attacked 35 livestock heads for which the forest department has paid Rs 5.15 lakh compensation, while a few claims are being processed. “We also surveyed open wells in agricultural lands in the lion territory and got paraptes constructed around 100 wells by paying farmers Rs 16 lakh assistance,” said the DCF, adding there was a probability of the two nomads returning to Chotila again.

Chief conservator of forest, Junagadh, S K Shrivastav said, “These lions stay at one location for nearly week and then move out to take a big round. Earlier too, they had reached near Gondal but returned to Chobari. However, this is the first time they have been see on this Bagasara route and it’s possible that they want to mix up with some pride or seeking some female.”
Forest officials suspect that they may go in the direction of Junagadh and return to Chobari with a lioness. Asiatic lion prides keep splitting with lioness often moving out with new mates & make long journeys away from Gir to available territories.

Officials believe the possibility of them returning with the lioness looks stronger as they are well settled in the grassland which also has a good prey base.
Deputy conservator of forest, Morbi, Sandeep Kumar, added, “The Junagadh-Chotila-Rajkot-Amreli is the future corridor that the lions have created.”

Sources:
https://indianexpress.com/article/india/...r-6359540/
https://m.timesofindia.com/city/rajkot/2...073100.cms
https://m.timesofindia.com/city/rajkot/c...112815.cms
5 users Like Rishi's post