There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Asian Wild Water-Buffalo (Bubalus arnee)

parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

(01-22-2018, 07:23 PM)Jimmy Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 06:22 PM)parvez Wrote: Thanks @Roflcopters and @Jimmy thanks for the opinions. But speaking technique wise, I think gaur has perfectly build skeletal structure and are agile as mentioned in the article.
http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/energy-...613694.ece
The article is perfect except for the fact they did not include hippos in the biggest animal list that is the only drawback there. Otherwise it is an exceptional daily for quality information. But, yes, water buffalo's legs are thick and they appear stout and stockier than gaurs. But gaurs often show off more muscles than water buffaloes but the later have deeper musculature. The article also says it beats water buffalo in terms of brute strength but i dont think it is pound for pound it is in general. That is why i was confused. They may be right their horns are perfectly shaped, not too long like water buffalo that uses slashing technique rather than the gaur's which pierce their horns into their predators. Slashing is a energy consuming process while piercing inflicts more damage. Here you may be right. As it has more muscles it dares to use slashing technique with their horns otherwise they will fail miserably with the gaur. Gaurs for sure are more agile than water buffalo they climb 6 feet fences easily.

I tend to agree that gaurs are remarkably agile animals, buffaloes are not known for any athletic feats, they are not big jumpers either. Gaurs are light on their feet and buffaloes are heavy on their feet that is it. But as for who is strong i go with buffalo. Simple body design, very proportionate body from nose to tail, equal power distribution through out, there is no soft spot so as to speak. i am quoting the site you provided "Gaur beats the wild water buffalo, American Bison, European Bison and even the African Cape buffalo hallow in terms of skeletal structure and brute strength". i dont know about this, maybe in general cuz gaurs are considered bigger than all, so it has more strength. skeletal wise i say gaurs skeleton is impressive due to the fact that it has huge spine sticking out and looks formidable and menacing. Buffaloes as i said has a proportionate built it's front is not greatly at odds with it's back side, looks pretty simple in design. skull wise gaurs have wide skull, buffaloes are leaner and longer but does it mean it's skeletal structure would be weak i tend to think it's only about different designs rather than durability. maybe there are some other people here who might know specifically about bones , density and so on. Have you also considered this- gaurs are taller and longer animal while buffaloes are shorter but the weigh is pretty even...

Nope i considered gaurs are taller and not as longer. But water buffalo from assam seem to be the longer specimens as per my observation.
3 users Like parvez's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Asian Wild Water Buffalo (Bubalus arnee) - parvez - 01-22-2018, 07:33 PM
[email protected] - Jimmy - 08-28-2018, 08:36 AM
RE: All about Gaur (Bos gaurus) - parvez - 08-17-2018, 11:37 AM