There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Where is the biggest bengal tigers?

United Kingdom BARKA Offline
Banned

(11-28-2017, 02:38 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(11-28-2017, 12:31 AM)BARKA Wrote:
(03-28-2017, 10:56 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(03-27-2017, 08:01 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(03-26-2017, 07:25 PM)Apollo Wrote: Hi @Pckts ,

I spoke to some of my sources who have seen Bengal tigers and African and Asiatic lions. All of them said Bengals were taller and longer than lions.
Sometime back I had a discussion with a very reputable person in tigernation about this and he clealry said Bengals are larger (taller and longer).
I also saw Minha's discussion with a person in fb regarding this. It was specifically about Kanha tigers and African lions and he too clearly said to Minha, "No way, Kanha tigers are bigger."
Since you are visiting India and have visited Africa already, kindly share your views too after the visit.

@Pantherinae

Sauraha male also had a neck girth of 80cm.
Madla had a neck girth of 90cm.

Hey @Apollo I have seen both tigers and lions in the wild. And I can share my opinion. the average male lion (Masi Mara and Krüger) seems quite lean and are quite a bit smaller, than a male tiger, hence I have probably seen (one of) the biggest male lions alive in Caesar from Masai Mara and he was, at least he appeared bigger than the biggest male tiger I've seen (Bamera), but Bamera although a very cool tiger is not a giant. I'm sure big male tigers are quite a bit bigger than even Caesar aswell. And I have been told that Umarpani and Munna (the only two I asked about) where bigger than Caesar by a guy who had seen them all. So now I'm going to Kanha myself for 2 weeks next summer with Umarpani as my target, (and I think I will take 4 days in Tadoba or Bandhavgarh as a backup just to spot a tiger). And then I can really create my own view on how two giants of the species compare. 

Cheers :)

Uma is a tough male to spot, I'm not holding my breath. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for sure, but I know I need to get lucky to see him.
As long as I can see one of the big males in Kahna, I'll be happy. (Khari Ghati, Munna, Link 7, thin stripe male or Uma) are my targets for Kahna.
For Tadoba (Matkusar, Bajrang, Waghdoh, Pandu) are my hopefuls and Pench I really would love to see (tarzan, Raiyakassi, BMW or Prince)
But I know there's I chance I see none, so I will not be greedy. I also want to go back right after monsoon season so I can see them in their prime weights since they usually are much leaner during the summer time.

Just for good measure, here's the big fella just spotted

Bapu Tadoba
TATR. .....
Devada zone ...,
Today it was the amazing
*This image is copyright of its original author
?sighted,
This season second time sighted male tiger
? (waghdoh male )

I've been in contact with Sharad vats recently and he told me that the largest Tiger he's ever seen in his life, was the Umarpani male from Kanha. And he also said that the largest Tigers in India come from Kanha and Pench, in his opinion. But mind you, he's never seen a Kaziranga or Orang park beast before!
Sharad cetainly loves him some Umarpani, we all know that.
I've seen Tigers from Kanha, Pench and Tadoba. It's fairly safe to say that Kanha Tigers are probably a bit more bulky than the 2 others I named and I know for sure that some well known large males in Pench aren't as large as some well known large males in Kanha. The reason for this is a couple of factors, Kanha is cooler year round than Pench and Tadoba, it has more prey availability, hilly terrain and it's much larger. It's only natural that the Tigers there would benefit from those factors. In regards to Kaziranga, I also have spoken to quite a few who have seen Kaziranga Tigers and they usually say that Kaziranga Tigers are larger.

Here's a newer one I haven't posted here yet.

Indranil Paul
"Kaziranga seemed bigger to me compared to their counterparts in other parks where I have visited. Maybe,the ease of hunting their prey hiding inside the tall elephant grass is a factor.Also bigger prey like the wild Buffalo, Rhino and even sometimes elephant calf also play a role in determining the size.You may have noticed that tigers in captivity are huge in size as compared to the wild ones because they get their meal without any effort and thus fat proportion increases resulting in their size.Also,wild tigers preying on bigger animals like domestic cattle,gaurs etc also tend to grow bigger in size."
Nah, i think Pench males easily match the Kanha males for size. Look at Tarzan and BMW, their massive. Umarpani male is huge, but i've seen bigger Tigers then him. Here's a new video recently uploaded by Sharad vats of the Umarpani male...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ6Gs1g3jaU

The best looking Bengal Tigers, in my opinion...come from Bandhavgarh. Wide skulls, stocky muscular bodies, thick necks and big paws!

This male Tiger is the PERFECT example of what a big, dominant male Tiger is, and a true physical specimen of a Bandhavgarh male..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpfCuBzYHQg
1 user Likes BARKA's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where is the biggest bengal tigers? - BARKA - 11-28-2017, 06:27 PM