There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Where is the biggest bengal tigers?

LonePredator Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-16-2022, 08:33 AM by LonePredator )

(01-16-2022, 08:20 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(01-16-2022, 03:40 AM)LonePredator Wrote: @GuateGojira had given the data of Bengal Tigers being 221.5 kg on average in modern times. And since that data comes from multiple credible sources combined. I think that it's pretty much undisputable. I have attached it below

*This image is copyright of its original author

Been honest this is a very old comparative image, the sample was only 136 males overall and did not included Sundarbans specimens. That is why the last image that I made shows that male Bengal tigers overall (historic and modern) had an average of 200 kg, including Sundarbans and young specimens from the past, with a sample of 169 males.

However, if we take only confirmed modern records and excluding Sundarbans, then the average is of 218.4 kg with a sample of 17 males. However, this sample do not include the 7 males reported by other posters in this forum via Facebook and other two from news reports, which I still don't manage to confirm, plus the large male of 285 kg reported by Dr Jhala. This is the list:

If we include these 7 males the average weight will be of  222.6 kg, but as the male of 285 kg included stomach content, in that case we need to adjust him. If we use 20 kg to adjust that male, the net weight will be of 265 kg and the overall average of the modern males will be of 221.8 kg, with the sample of 24. If we use 35 kg (the maximum amount actually recorded), the net weight will be of 250 kg and the overall average of the modern males will be of 221.2 kg, again with the sample of 24.

I still don't use this average because I will like to confirm those 7 extra males, but I don't see any reason why you can't use it. So, this is the data that I have, for the moment, overall males at c.200 kg, and modern males only at c.221 kg.

But do the Sundarban Tigers mate or interact with the mainland Tigers in any way or are they completely isolated and restricted to the mangroves?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where is the biggest bengal tigers? - LonePredator - 01-16-2022, 08:23 AM