There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - C - THE JAGUAR (Panthera onca)

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

(05-16-2014, 05:33 AM)'Pckts' Wrote:
(05-16-2014, 03:32 AM)'peter' Wrote:
(05-12-2014, 04:05 AM)'Pckts' Wrote: Alfred court said that Jaguars are "stupid" so they tend to be easily avoidable and predictable with their reactions, but states that if you ever are unlucky enough to get caught by one, it is over.
He speaks of their unreal box pitbull shaped head and their massive muscles that are packed into them. They are his most frustrating cat to train. 

Interesting info, PC. I propose to continue in the thread on captive animals. This board is about wild animals. I'll start a thread on captive big cats (circus) in the board reserved for just that. 

Thats fine, but there is very little info on Jaguar personality compared to other cats, so I figured it could be helpful here. 

You got a point there, but it also is a fact opinions differ. Mabel Stark, for instance, said her male black jaguar was more intelligent than all other big cats she had trained.

The only thing we can be sure about is humans fear wild jaguars. Rabinowitz saw it in Belize and I can confirm humans avoided jaguars in Surinam and French Guyana as well. The reason isn't man-eaters (very few), but the behaviour towards humans in regions where they compete. The jaguar on the island where I stayed for two days, however, was quite communicative. He showed us he lived there too after the first night, but he didn't mind visitors. After the second night, however, his prints were over ours and he had left scratch marks on the tree we used to dry clothes as well. This was a few yards from the tent. He said he was as tall, heavier and enough was enough. We understood.

Captive jaguars are difficult to read. I saw two black males, one in a zoo and one in a circus. Both were just over 200 pounds and very powerful. The sense of power you get isn't a result of the short body, the large muscles and the extra-large skull only. It is something different. Jaguars in captivity are less afraid of humans. But my girlfriend, unaware of danger, was very close with another big black male in a rescue centre. He arm was round his neck when the director's wife came over screaming with all she had in order to warn her. The jaguar moved to her and closed his mouth with the force of a bomb. The next moment he was flirting with my girlfriend again. Him like her, but he didn't hide his feelings for the director's wife either. Both emotions were shown in a fraction of a second.

Jaguars like you or they don't. They are a bit like the big white bears. When they don't like you, they will kill you whenever possible. Stubborn and one-tracked, but less treacherous than brown bears or tigers who will never tell you what they really think. Tigers and brown bears are different from jaguars and lions. A jaguar, for attitude, is like a lion, but more one-tracked, more stubborn, more wild at heart and definitely more willing to engage odds. Very confident animals, they are. In European zoos, they have a bad reputation. I saw different skulls of females killed by their mates during courtship. Jaguars use skull bites to kill each other as well. Jaguars are quite clinical, whereas the other big cats, in my opinion, are more aggressive. But confidence and aggressiveness are two different things. A jaguar who's made up his mind isn't going to back down, whereas lions and tigers could, perhaps, be convinced. Male leopards are not as strong, but, like tigers, more skillful killers. A few seconds is all they need. Different trainers said they compare to psychopaths when enraged. And then there is bears. They like to play with you first. So what's it going to be?
1 user Likes peter's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Pckts - 05-12-2014, 04:05 AM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - peter - 05-16-2014, 03:32 AM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Pckts - 05-16-2014, 05:33 AM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - peter - 05-16-2014, 08:14 AM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Pckts - 05-16-2014, 06:06 PM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Amnon242 - 07-02-2014, 06:53 PM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Pckts - 07-02-2014, 09:47 PM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Amnon242 - 07-03-2014, 02:51 PM