There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The strongest bites in the animal kingdom

LonePredator Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-29-2022, 02:10 AM by LonePredator )

@Pckts I don’t know why you would do this. Don’t you say the average Jaguar is pound for pound stronger than the average Bengal Tiger? Then we should obviously be comparing AVERAGE specimens of both.

I am saying that pound for pound, the AVERAGE Sumatran Tiger is SHORTER in head-body length compared to the AVERAGE Pantanal or Llanos Jaguar.

Why are you bringing up the 120kg Jaguar and then comparing that one to the average Sumatran Tiger? Obviously if you compare an impressive and bulky Jaguar which eats a ton of protein to sustain his muscles then that might actually be as strong (pound for pound) than the average Sumatran Tiger who only gets a moderate amount of protein but it’s NOT a fair comparison.

BUT when you say “Jaguars are pound for pound stronger” then you mean that the average Jaguar is pound for pound stronger than the average Bengal Tiger. We are comparing average specimen to average specimen of both species BUT you are only making comparisons between impressive Jaguar specimens and average Bengal Tigers. That is not the correct way to do it.

And now you see that Jaguars also take up more length, their chest and belly girth also takes up more space which makes the volume of Jaguars higher. Higher volume means lower density so how can you make the claim that Jaguars are the most ‘dense’???

I am 100% sure that Jaguars and Sumatran Tigers are nearly equally dense because both are made of flesh and bones and the bones of both are most likely equally dense and both have the same concentration of muscle fibers so BOTH are equally dense BUT the one which has MORE BODYFAT will be LESS dense. Bodyfat will be the only factor in determining density of these animals but even then the difference will be negligible.

So my conclusion is that when you scale the average Jaguars to the same weight as the average Bengal Tiger, the Tiger would still have an 11% stronger bite force and if you scale the average Jaguar to the size of the average Tiger, the Tiger would be SHORTER in body length. I can’t say about overall strength because I have not seen any study which determines overall strength of Tigers or Jaguar.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The strongest bites in the animal kingdom - LonePredator - 04-29-2022, 12:29 AM